Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the thinking on AC? Nice to have or enjoy the car without?

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:50 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
Default What's the thinking on AC? Nice to have or enjoy the car without?

My son and I are wrapping up our project 1986 NA 944 and we aren't sure about whether or not we should get the AC working again. Most of the lines are still there, but there is no compressor and the alternator has been moved to the bottom position with the proper bracket. We aren't sure if the compressor was removed because it stopped working or if it was to save weight. I imagine it would be quite expensive to relocate the alternator, purchase a used compressor, hook all the lines back up and charge the system and we are just not sure we would get that money back.

We live in So Cal, so even in the summer with top roof off and the windows down it is quite comfortable and fun to drive. But I don't think it would be possible in AZ or in the South.

What do you all think? Is no AC a deal breaker, or is lighter weight and less drag on the engine a plus?
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 312 Posts

Unless you live in Northern Alaska, Northern Canada or Greenland or Iceland, I'd make sure any car I buy has AC.
Unless you are NEVER EVER going to sell this Porsche, or don't mind taking a beating when you do sell it..

Last edited by PCA1983; Yesterday at 05:11 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by PCA1983:
AkechiMotors (Yesterday), joes c4 cab (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
Tiger03447
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Thinking of AC

If you can live without it do so, unless you want to resell the car. Fewer things to break, lighter weight= better fuel mileage and less $$ out of pocket. Apply the KISS principle..HTH some..JMO😀
The following users liked this post:
joes c4 cab (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 652 Likes on 506 Posts

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
My son and I are wrapping up our project 1986 NA 944 and we aren't sure about whether or not we should get the AC working again. Most of the lines are still there, but there is no compressor and the alternator has been moved to the bottom position with the proper bracket. We aren't sure if the compressor was removed because it stopped working or if it was to save weight. I imagine it would be quite expensive to relocate the alternator, purchase a used compressor, hook all the lines back up and charge the system and we are just not sure we would get that money back.

We live in So Cal, so even in the summer with top roof off and the windows down it is quite comfortable and fun to drive. But I don't think it would be possible in AZ or in the South.

What do you all think? Is no AC a deal breaker, or is lighter weight and less drag on the engine a plus?
you are in a cooler place than i was, but when i lived in Poway/Riverside/Northridge/Rancho Cucamonga having AC was a godsend. it made driving a lot more enjoyable.

i have since moved across the country and swapped to a non-944 engine and am in the process of figuring how to re-fit AC to my new engine.

Last edited by V2Rocket; Yesterday at 05:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joes c4 cab (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
walfreyydo
Three Wheelin'

Received 279 Likes on 243 Posts

I live in Wisconsin and it gets pretty hot up here (not as often as other places) but I can still deal with no AC even on 90-100 degree days, but it is moderately uncomfortable. The key is to have your window open and cup your hand in between the mirror and the a-pillar to divert wind directly onto your face. I find that I drive this way 75% of the time on hot days. I want to make some sort of deflector (perhaps from a plastic bottle or something) to make this happen without needing to keep my hand there.

I have working AC but it doesnt blow that cold and I also prefer to drive with the windows down - I am actually considering getting rid of it for weight. If I drove the car daily or something I think I would need AC more, but my car only sees occasional street time (or time to/from events) so I think its probably not needed. I get by with the windows down just fine.

It really depends on your use case, car condition and whether you intend to sell it and whether you intend to use it solely on the street and for how often... and of course your tolerance to heat.

Last edited by walfreyydo; Yesterday at 06:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:39 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 101 Posts

Deleted AC 18 years ago to save weight for the track. Now it’s a daily driver. In PA it can get unbearable in the summer on occasion. In that case I just use my other car with AC.
Old Yesterday, 09:24 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 130 Likes on 84 Posts

I’d do what works for you. Is this a daily driver? A weekend car, occasionally driven? Living in SC it limited my use of the car for like 6 months out of the year, and so it was a must to get mine working and now works great after r134a conversion.
Old Today, 08:35 AM
screamin94Z
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Absolutely unequivocally get the A/C working. I live in Upstate NY where I rarely need it, but on a hot summer day when it starts pouring out there's no way to unfog the windows without it.

Quick Reply: What's the thinking on AC? Nice to have or enjoy the car without?