Sponsored by:

Coil Overs

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2024, 01:06 PM
blazen244
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Coil Overs

Yes guys sorry I'm revisiting this again so far I see looks like BC might be one of the better choices for my car do you guys have any experience with GodSpeed or Yellow Maxx coilers. I'm never going to the track just looking to level the car out and get away from the lowering springs all together. Thanks in advance for any info you can share.
Old 08-19-2024, 01:13 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,527 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Look up at the top of this section’s page. There is a pinned thread all about coilovers.
The following users liked this post:
blazen244 (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 01:18 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,498 Likes on 824 Posts

Common big-name options are KW, Bilstein, Ohlins. Plenty of very pricey track-focused options as well, but that's not what you're asking about.

The two "vetted" low-buck options are BC and Feal. General consensus with these two brands is they are great street car suspension that is just fine for some track days if you want to do an HPDE event or the like.

Godspeed and Maxx are eBay Chinesium junk.
blazen244 (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 03:19 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 409 Likes on 290 Posts

I like my Feal 441s. Add in a few upgrade options for best results.
Old 08-19-2024, 04:27 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 118 Posts

How much are these feal n other Chinese coilovers? Do they come with too mounts, drop links etc?? What Are you actually buying?
Old 08-19-2024, 05:00 PM
Kevpm
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am curious as well. Ohlins seem to be the gold standard, but at $4500 they should be. BC coilovers seem like a good alternative for a fraction of the price.

I personally am looking to make my car ride better (80k miles on stock suspension), with maybe the ability to lower it a tiny bit. My driveway is very steep and I do not want to scrape going in and out. I was planning on just new OEM shocks but have been told new suspension technology is far superior. I would prefer for resale purposes to leave it stock. I also work at a Porsche dealership and can get a discount on OEM parts.
Old 08-19-2024, 05:37 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 409 Likes on 290 Posts

My Feals came with adjustable camber plates and drop links. I got all the upgrades it can have before becoming a 442 model, it was closer to $2200, probably more now. The parts are made in Taiwan but they are assembled and set up in USA.

This is my thread when I installed them: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-my-turbo.html

Last edited by Bernard IV; 08-19-2024 at 05:39 PM.
blockhed (08-19-2024)
Old 08-19-2024, 07:19 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't say ohlins are gold standard after their issues but would venture to say Nitron/ JRZ.
All comes down to what you using it for an day once cry once.

Originally Posted by Kevpm
I am curious as well. Ohlins seem to be the gold standard, but at $4500 they should be. BC coilovers seem like a good alternative for a fraction of the price.

I personally am looking to make my car ride better (80k miles on stock suspension), with maybe the ability to lower it a tiny bit. My driveway is very steep and I do not want to scrape going in and out. I was planning on just new OEM shocks but have been told new suspension technology is far superior. I would prefer for resale purposes to leave it stock. I also work at a Porsche dealership and can get a discount on OEM parts.
Old 08-19-2024, 07:20 PM
blockhed
Rennlist Member

That's a good price no one will touch that.myfirat set of kwv3 with front adjustable top mounts was $2900, many many years ago lol
QUOTE=Bernard IV;19604901]My Feals came with adjustable camber plates and drop links. I got all the upgrades it can have before becoming a 442 model, it was closer to $2200, probably more now. The parts are made in Taiwan but they are assembled and set up in USA.

This is my thread when I installed them: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...-my-turbo.html[/QUOTE]
Old 08-19-2024, 09:05 PM
vtec_
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

I like my Ceikas.

They are around the same quality as the FEALS, IMO. maybe not as nice but close.
Old 08-19-2024, 09:09 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 869 Likes on 588 Posts

Most are the same just rebranded. I had the d2s, thinking they were better, but they only lasted a couple years before needing a rebuild on nice roads too (south florida). I've since replaced with kwv3. Better to buy once.
Old 08-20-2024, 01:20 PM
onyxeros
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Feals and BC are not rebranded anything. D2, Gecko, etc. are all rebrands. As far as I can tell every street-focused coilover has had issues, Ohlins, KW and Bilstein included. I have also seen a lot of people that don't know how to set up coilovers, buy cheap coilovers and then complain they ride like crap. I have Ohlins on one car, BC on another car and a stack of swift springs. Learn how to set up your suspension and you'd be surprised how well your car can ride and handle for any specific use case at every budget point.
Old 08-20-2024, 02:23 PM
ernbu
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I second this! I also want to add, have realistic goals, don’t buy a $2k set of coil overs and expect them to work like a $8k set of dedicated track coil overs.

I recommend FEAL, great customer service and if you ever need more out of the coil over, you can upgrade your set without the need to buy something new.

Originally Posted by onyxeros
Feals and BC are not rebranded anything. D2, Gecko, etc. are all rebrands. As far as I can tell every street-focused coilover has had issues, Ohlins, KW and Bilstein included. I have also seen a lot of people that don't know how to set up coilovers, buy cheap coilovers and then complain they ride like crap. I have Ohlins on one car, BC on another car and a stack of swift springs. Learn how to set up your suspension and you'd be surprised how well your car can ride and handle for any specific use case at every budget point.
rituxumab (08-20-2024)
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
2fcknfst
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4,130 Likes on 3,125 Posts

I have to say something about the BC product; I put them on my STi a couple of weeks ago, and other than sorting out an alignment issue (shop caused), they are working very well, are built well, and are most likely more shock than I can possibly ever use.

Am now thinking about putting them on the turbo when I send the Bilstein's out to get rebuilt, over the fancy DSC units. Cost wise, seem to be about .25c on the dollar to the fancy DSC stuff.
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
mrdstr
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 2fcknfst
I have to say something about the BC product; I put them on my STi a couple of weeks ago, and other than sorting out an alignment issue (shop caused), they are working very well, are built well, and are most likely more shock than I can possibly ever use.

Am now thinking about putting them on the turbo when I send the Bilstein's out to get rebuilt, over the fancy DSC units. Cost wise, seem to be about .25c on the dollar to the fancy DSC stuff.
That is good to hear. A lot of the import and drift community speak well of them. Considering that all brands of coilovers recommend shock rebuild intervals around 25k miles, makes me wonder if this might be the right way to go vs Ohlins or JRZ, especially for a car that is mostly for PNW canyons. Their spring rate for the turbo seem a bit different than what other kits are running though. Guess that would need some research to get the right settings.

Quick Reply: Coil Overs