Macan 2014-Current

Fullscreen CarPlay working on PCM5 - DIY

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2024, 08:24 PM
FlyPenFly
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Fullscreen CarPlay working on PCM5 - DIY

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK, NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BRICKING OR DAMAGING YOUR CAR.

You need:
  • Amazon Amazon
    (A ugreen usb ethernet dongle we will be reprogramming)
  • USB-A to USB-C adapter if your console storage area has USB-C ports like mine does
  • I used a Windows PC but can work on any system that can run a Linux virtual machine and another ethernet jack (second USB dongle is fine)
  • A high quality 4GB+ SD Card formatted in FAT32 and a card reader for your PC
  • Regular ethernet cable
  • PUTTY Telnet
Overall steps I followed:
This can be done many different ways but here are the general steps that I took. The most time consuming part was really just getting Linux setup and the dongle edited to be the correct identifiers for the PCM.
  • Install VMWare Workstation Pro trial edition
  • Download and install Debian install ISO as a VM in Vmware (most default options are fine but I got slightly stuck in the boot selector and had to redo it because I chose the wrong option)
  • Follow this guide (mostly the notes section) for the commands needed in your Linux terminal:
    (In the version of Debian I used, ifconfig is deprecated, I had to use another tool find the identifier to target the ethernet dongle)
  • Use utility 'ethtool'to change the hardware and vendor IDs on the EEPROM of the linked USB dongle in order to allow PCM to communicate with it
  • Download and extract this onto your FAT32 formatted SD card: https://disk.yandex.com/d/7WKZix6ocBNLCw
  • (This is the guide I used, but there's a ton of extra stuff in there you don't need to do, https://www.drive2.ru/b/644918546345774500/ I don't speak or read Russian so I used a translation from the browser. I mostly used it for the Telnet parts)
  • Make sure your car battery is well charged or have your car connected to a car charger. It only took me ten minutes but might take you a lot longer and you do not want anything shutting down.
  • Insert the SD card into your car. Enter the red engineering mode in your PCM by placing one finger on the clock and then another finger in the area immediately to the left of it (if left hand drive) for a few seconds. System will reboot into Engineering mode
  • Your touchscreen will not work in this mode, you have to use the rotary dials. Run the update through your SD card and scroll to the bottom of the list in the update menu for the update option. It will reboot on its own again, run the update again by getting into updates then scroll to bottom to resume. (follow the pics in the linked guide for the steps)
  • After you finish the update process, make sure you're in the regular PCM screens
  • Connect the edited dongle to your usb port in the car and connect the cable to your computer
  • Manually set the IP address of your ethernet connection 172.16.250.123 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0, probably disable your wifi too
  • Ping the PCM at 172.16.250.248 to make sure there is two way communication between your computer and the PCM
  • Make a Putty Telnet connection to the PCM at that IP address with the port 22111
  • You'll be presented with a long "challenge" hex string, copy that into your clipboard, do not close this window
  • Remove the SD card from the car and load it to your computer
  • Open mmx_challenge.txt on your computer from the SD card and paste it in your file if it's not already there. Save the file and then exit out.
  • Run response.exe, it will produce a new file mmx_response.txt in your card. Open it and copy the whole string, copy the file to your computer in case you need it again.
  • Remove SD card from computer and insert it back into your car.
  • Paste the response string into that Putty Telnet window and hit enter, it will close, repeat steps if it doesn't.
  • Connect Putty again to the PCM but use port 21 this time, login as root, there is no password
  • In the terminal run one of these commands (first one worked for me)
    ksh /fs/sdb0/toolbox.sh
    ksh /fs/sda0/toolbox.sh
    ksh /fs/usb0_0/toolbox.sh
  • This should now run MH2PToolbox
  • Select the option for Fullscreen CarPlay and run that command
  • Once finished, select reboot. You are done.
Please refer to the Russian link, especially the beginning half of it if you run into issues.

Last edited by FlyPenFly; 08-16-2024 at 09:05 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by FlyPenFly:
drawz (08-17-2024), VROOOM5 (Today)
Old 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
FlyPenFly
Instructor

For the step of using Linux to edit the EEPROM, install ethtool and this is what you need to do (eth1 could be different depending on your configuration, its the identifier for the dongle):

Overwrite VID and PID with ones from D-Link DUB-E100 (0x2001, 0x3c05)

sudo ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xdeadbeef offset 0x0088 value 0x01

sudo ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xdeadbeef offset 0x0089 value 0x20

sudo ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xdeadbeef offset 0x008A value 0x05

sudo ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xdeadbeef offset 0x008B value 0x3c

sudo ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xdeadbeef offset 0x0048 value 0x01

sudo ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xdeadbeef offset 0x0049 value 0x20

sudo ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xdeadbeef offset 0x004A value 0x05

sudo ethtool -E eth1 magic 0xdeadbeef offset 0x004B value 0x3c
The following users liked this post:
mark8 (08-17-2024)
Old 08-17-2024, 11:00 AM
mark8
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Impressive. Does this include the Android Auto support? I paid InnovativeSoft to do this and it worked great for a while but I'm having trouble getting my phone to connect after a recent android update. I'm curious about learning the architecture a bit more to see if I can debug the issue I'm facing.
Old 08-17-2024, 10:15 PM
Slngshot
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by mark8
Impressive. Does this include the Android Auto support? I paid InnovativeSoft to do this and it worked great for a while but I'm having trouble getting my phone to connect after a recent android update. I'm curious about learning the architecture a bit more to see if I can debug the issue I'm facing.
was innovativesoft not helpful with after sales support?
I just purchased that product, he has yet to install it……..
Old 08-17-2024, 10:36 PM
mark8
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Slngshot
was innovativesoft not helpful with after sales support?
I just purchased that product, he has yet to install it……..
Ray is super responsive and supportive. We have tried a few things but no fix yet. It worked fine for a few months and then after an update, poof, not working. It's probably on the phone side, but I'm not sure yet. I have an upcoming session scheduled for him to install some other programming mods. I presume we will revisit it again then.
The following users liked this post:
Slngshot (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:36 AM
VROOOM5
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for posting this. goign to attempt this on a MacBook Pro .. to update 2023 Macan S
Old Today, 12:49 AM
FlyPenFly
Instructor

If you use Parallels or another x86 emulator, you might be able to with an MBP. You need to run response.exe near the end.
Old Today, 12:52 AM
VROOOM5
5th Gear

Originally Posted by FlyPenFly
If you use Parallels or another x86 emulator, you might be able to with an MBP. You need to run response.exe near the end.
I'm using parallels. I ordered the Ugreen ethernet adapter. do i actually need two of these or just one?

well i have a linux partition and a windows partition on Parallels. so im okay with either. did you do yours in Windows? or Linux? you had mentioned both in your post. Im guessing. you used a Windows based laptop, ran VMware with Linux Debian?

i also dual booted my MBP (i have an intel based chip) i just dont use the dual boot often haha.

Last edited by VROOOM5; Today at 12:57 AM.
Old Today, 01:01 AM
VROOOM5
5th Gear

@FlyPenFly sorry to bug you some more. For the SD card, is it okay to use a micro sd with the regular SD card adapter. or does it have to be the full size SD card?
Old Today, 01:06 AM
FlyPenFly
Instructor

I used a windows PC and used VMware for the Linux parts, you only need 1 one of the ethernet adapters but your computer also needs its own ethernet jack. MicroSD with adapter should be fine.
Old Today, 01:09 AM
VROOOM5
5th Gear

got it. sounds good. sadly.. not even my surface pro 3 has a ethernet port.. haha.

so ill have to order a second ethernet adapter.

Quick Reply: Fullscreen CarPlay working on PCM5 - DIY