Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do any of the DE regions track walk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2024, 10:07 PM
quickboxster
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Do any of the DE regions track walk?

Is it just not a thing?
I remember hitting Daytona for the first time in practice and then that afternoon a few of us walked around and it was an eye opener to see the transitions and just how steep the banking was, how rough the asphalt was, how much difference there was in the height of the sections of asphalt, why there was so much undulation and why you really didn't want to turn in early for the chicane, it's just such a change in perspective actually seeing the track and standing to look through and understand what you're feeling but don't really see at speed.

It just doesn't seem to be something anyone even mentions anymore, at least not in the regions I've been to.

Maybe it's us Porsche guys, we're too old to walk a whole lap, too much trouble to pull our cpap and battery cart.
I remember a bit ago that I didn't see any of the POC racers walk a new to most everyone track in the morning, maybe even the club racers don't walk or bicycle.

Some tracks have little painted reference marks and many are hard to pick out at speed right away, most DE people don't even know they're there when you mention them and sometimes they don't see them at all even when they're looking for them.

Just seems like a something to help the first or second timers that could be done at lunchtime.
Old 08-11-2024, 10:15 PM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,238 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Some do. Pretty common compared to the rest at Watkins Glen.

Dependent on the track, some allow it, some don't.

At VIR, I do it frequently for Audi Club, VIR Club (nearly every multi-day event, the first evening). We drive to a corner, get out, talk and then get back in and drive to the next one.

Walking can take a couple hours. Good exercise.

Always look out for the blue or red dots marking cones for the professional schools, Skip Barber and others.

Ross Bentley at Speed Secrets has sold more than 6500 Virtual Track Walks, with more on the way.

Always helpful for people to see up close and personal elevation, camber and topographic changes. If you think this is only for novices, you would be mistaken. EVERY pro event (IMSA/SRO) has an evening track walk before the event is started. Golf carts allowed.
"Combining the Art and Science of Driving Fast!"
Specializing in Professional, Private Driver Performance Evaluation and Optimization
Consultation Available Remotely and at VIRginia International Raceway

Old 08-11-2024, 10:17 PM
dgrobs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,695 Likes on 1,147 Posts

Track walk at Watkins Friday with NERPCA.
Fun stuff…
The following 2 users liked this post by dgrobs:
Locker537 (08-12-2024), Matt Romanowski (08-12-2024)
Old 08-11-2024, 10:18 PM
ldamelio
Rennlist Member

Received 980 Likes on 530 Posts

RTR does it whenever possible. Very helpful.
Old 08-11-2024, 10:19 PM
jhenson29
Rennlist Member

Received 1,251 Likes on 510 Posts

St. Louis PCA did at the spring HPDE this year, but not summer. They did half of WWTR on Saturday and half on Sunday.

I can’t comment on what’s typical as that’s all I’ve been to.
Old 08-11-2024, 11:05 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 986 Likes on 659 Posts

We do in RMR at almost every DE.
The following users liked this post:
raspritz (08-14-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 01:44 AM
Zhao
Drifting

Received 1,806 Likes on 987 Posts

It's very expensive to spend track time doing that every event for the benefit of a few. No one around me does it, but one track has a bus to ferry students around to key spots before the school starts which saves a ton of time.

IF you want to do it, ask the organizer if you can show up early or stay late after the event, preferably with a bunch of other guys who also want to do it as I can't see them signing off on a guy doing it solo unless tehy know you. Or another alternative is ask if you can help cone up the corners for markers, which will get you a free truck ride out to each corner to walk all over putting cones down without having to spend a hour walking the straights.

Last edited by Zhao; 08-12-2024 at 01:46 AM.
Old 08-12-2024, 07:28 AM
Banango
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

MNY PCA does track walks occasionally, but not as often as they used to. The reason is that there are associated costs at many tracks - notably WGI. While the walks are incredibly valuable they aren’t generally economically feasible. I don’t recall an NIA PCA instructed WGI event at which they did not do a track walk at the end of day one.
Old 08-12-2024, 07:55 AM
amurph182
Racer

Received 131 Likes on 64 Posts

Wasn’t aware that there was a cost (of course there is, why wouldn’t there be…) to have a track walk, which probably explains why the only events I’ve been to that have one have been at massively oversold WGI DEs. Coincidentally, that’s also the track I know best and am fastest at……
Old 08-12-2024, 08:11 AM
RossP
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 173 Posts

Track walks are extremely helpful, and honestly a lot of fun especially if you can go motorized or bike. (Took a Rukus scooter around Sebring at sunset which was a hoot). Walking is also helpful although more tedious. You are able to pick up on minor details that you just cant in a car.
Old 08-12-2024, 08:45 AM
Veloce Raptor
Rennlist Member

Received 1,612 Likes on 837 Posts

I have conducted dozens and dozens of track walks at Watkins Glen, Sebring, Circuit of The Americas, VIR, and several other tracks. They are amazingly useful, and are an incredible learning tool for most people.
ProCoach (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 09:19 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 948 Likes on 573 Posts

Watkins Glen is a fun track WALK! I distinctly remember my first walk there 25 years ago with Chris Kirby. And I'm lucky enough to have give a bunch of them there. Ask me about instructing in a Camry with a roll cage sometime....
Old 08-12-2024, 09:50 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 3,238 Likes on 1,856 Posts

Originally Posted by Zhao
It's very expensive to spend track time doing that every event for the benefit of a few.
It's invaluable, for those that do it (which includes nearly every pro driver/crew chief/car engineer at IMSA and SRO races)/

I've never had anyone say they didn't learn something, a majority of people being advanced solo/instructor level at track days and DE's. This was two weeks ago.

The following 2 users liked this post by ProCoach:
Mike Roblin (08-12-2024), Veloce Raptor (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 09:51 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 180 Posts

Some Zone 4 regions (MOH for one) do them at MOSCC and we (MOH) id them at Indy for the GP Course and Putnam. AR Does Pitt Race in cars. If you have evening access (i.e. camping), it is usually no charge and just "get off the track by x:xx" limited by security. Usually no cars allowed, but at COTA they did do limited trailer ride ons (and still ran out of the...). If a Coach is on site, we will typically ask them to give the tour. Never turn down the chance to do a walk.
ProCoach (08-12-2024)
Old 08-12-2024, 10:40 AM
nineball
Pro

Received 353 Likes on 244 Posts

norpca and audi both had track walks at mid-o this year. i always encourage anyone to do it who hasn't before, almost no one realizes that from carousel to keyhole it is all uphill.
ProCoach (08-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Do any of the DE regions track walk?