Sponsored by:

CF Shifter inlay is loose and driving me crazy

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2024, 07:22 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 434 Posts
Default CF Shifter inlay is loose and driving me crazy

I did not want the metal shifter - I originally test drove a 718 on a hot summer day and my hand still hurts from the aluminum shifter burning the crap out of my hand - so I went CF, even though nothing else in my car is CF. Kind of like the looks and like the feel. EXCEPT THE TOP PART MOVES AROUND. Drives me nuts (literally). The R-1-3-5 / 2-4-6 inlay moves/clicks around ever so slightly.

I suspect Porsche will want to order a whole new shifter (cause yes, I HAD THE SAME THING ON MY 992 - and yes, it did it pulling out of the delivery bay - so no blaming me ).

That all said, rather than going to the dealer, does anyone know if that top piece comes off? I'd love to put a little hot glue under there and save myself a trip. But the last thing I want to do is damage it and then have them blame me.

Last edited by doug_999; 08-09-2024 at 07:24 PM.
Old 08-09-2024, 10:12 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 86 Posts

Glad you mentioned the heat issue with the aluminum ****. I thought about getting it, but it didn't say anywhere it was weighted, which might have made it worth it. But just an aluminum thin piece, and get burned (I live in hot TX), no thanks. Ha ha. So just kept it stock. As far as your issue, I'm sure that inlay is the last part to go into the ****, but I don't know how it's secured. For what you're saying, my guess is by tabs... but they didn't tighten it enough. You'd have to pop it out, but it's possible you could dent or chip the C/F part, or break a tab, so just get it replaced. I'd only attempt to fix it if you were told Porsche is not going to cover it. But if they do, just exchange it. I'd like something nicer, like this 911 S/T leather ****: https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...L&gad_source=1 But a grand? No thank you. Hope the GT4 short shifter feels nice with the stock ****, so I don't have to get something not OEM. But we'll see. Good luck getting your **** replaced. It looks nice, but I wouldn't like it in my car, since it also doesn't have anything C/F either (not a fan).

Last edited by JCtx; 08-09-2024 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-10-2024, 06:08 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 91 Posts

How does the shift **** remove on a 718? I know on the 996, 986 and 944s. I'd remove the **** and look at the seam of the carbon fiber makes form the bottom. It is definitely assembled in layers. Something as simple as a bit of contact cement in the layers might help. My new car (different brand) has one interior rattle and I cannot find it. Rattles are annoying.

Old 08-11-2024, 08:52 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if the 2 optional shift ***** (brushed aluminum and C/F) weigh the same as stock? Just curious about that. Haven't seen an OEM looking aftermarket alternative yet.
Old 08-11-2024, 10:06 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
Just out of curiosity, does anybody know if the 2 optional shift ***** (brushed aluminum and C/F) weigh the same as stock? Just curious about that. Haven't seen an OEM looking aftermarket alternative yet.
Probably. There is so little trim that any difference is negligible. If it was steel or lead you might notice but CF and alumunum or plastic for that matter in such a small quantity won't move the needle on weight or feel.

Last edited by stealthpilot; 08-11-2024 at 10:09 PM.
Old 08-12-2024, 02:26 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

That's what I thought, but thank you for confirming it. Wish there was a decently priced weighted version, but for some reason, this car doesn't seem to need it as much as others. The 911 S/T **** might be weighted, but no way I'd spend a grand on it. So will keep the stock one, and probably just get the GT4 shorter shifter.

Last edited by JCtx; 08-12-2024 at 02:27 PM.
Old 08-12-2024, 05:37 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

That's what I thought, but thank you for confirming it. Wish there was a decently priced weighted version, but for some reason, this car doesn't seem to need it as much as others. The 911 S/T **** might be weighted, but no way I'd spend a grand on it. So will keep the stock one, and probably just get the GT4 shorter shifter.
There is a really nice non-OEM weighted option from Raceng and another from Sport Shifters. Both around 500g.

https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...-anyone-6.html

https://www.718forum.com/threads/shi...hifters.28449/
Old 08-12-2024, 10:49 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Hey, that was AWESOME help; thanks a million. You know, I'm probably just going to go with the GT1 SS **** installed all the way down, and it should be almost as low as the GT4 shifter (with stock ****), which is reportedly the same shifter, but with a 7/8" lower shaft. The SS **** is going to be just a tad higher, but no need to dismantle the center console, and still end up with a crappy ****. The **** would cost 200 bucks, so about half the price of a GT4 shifter. What I didn't see is how to fit the boot to the ****, but I'll figure that out. The SS GT1 in brushed finish with black leather and shift pattern not painted looks pretty OEM, so no issues with that. Ha ha. Thanks again for your help. I'm probably going to order this very soon, to have it handy when my car is ready. I'd like to know if the GT4 shifter is indeed the same thing, just shorter, before making the final decision... although I'd probably end up changing the **** too anyway, no? If that's the case, might as well order the **** now, and go from there once I drive the car back home with the new ****. Finally, is there a need to put (blue) Loctite on the set screw, so it doesn't ever back out? Thanks.
Old 08-12-2024, 11:41 PM
stealthpilot
Rennlist Member

Hey, that was AWESOME help; thanks a million. You know, I'm probably just going to go with the GT1 SS **** installed all the way down, and it should be almost as low as the GT4 shifter (with stock ****), which is reportedly the same shifter, but with a 7/8" lower shaft. The SS **** is going to be just a tad higher, but no need to dismantle the center console, and still end up with a crappy ****. The **** would cost 200 bucks, so about half the price of a GT4 shifter. What I didn't see is how to fit the boot to the ****, but I'll figure that out. The SS GT1 in brushed finish with black leather and shift pattern not painted looks pretty OEM, so no issues with that. Ha ha. Thanks again for your help. I'm probably going to order this very soon, to have it handy when my car is ready. I'd like to know if the GT4 shifter is indeed the same thing, just shorter, before making the final decision... although I'd probably end up changing the **** too anyway, no? If that's the case, might as well order the **** now, and go from there once I drive the car back home with the new ****. Finally, is there a need to put (blue) Loctite on the set screw, so it doesn't ever back out? Thanks.
I think that's the right call. I wish I had a manual. I would do the same. I have a manual on order. I find the GT1 SS **** looks like what the OEM **** should have been. Which weight option are you buying?

I would message the guys on the other thread about the installation and the boot. I doubt you need loctite.
Old 08-13-2024, 12:39 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Probably the medium one (200-300 gr), but debating between that, and the medium+ (300-400 gr). Thoughts? When I test-drove the SE, it didn't feel really bad, so definitely not the heavy one. Somebody posted the medium was like 3 to 4 times the weight of stock, which sounds like enough to me.
Old 08-13-2024, 05:40 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 236 Likes on 88 Posts

I don't have the separate cap that yours does, but the non-leather part looks to be the same. Maybe if you take that part off, there is a way to tighten the insert or pop it off? Mine has been loose and driving me crazy, but I want to figure out a way that I can add weight in it before I glue it so it's not loose.

Place a fingernail under the top front lip and pull back and up.

Here is what the inside looks like. Notice the clip is only on the very bottom.

Old 08-13-2024, 08:00 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Man, what a cheap POS. BMW should have at least filled the inside with plastic. Any instructions how to remove the boot from the ****? I'm going to order a SS GT3 **** shortly (about 2-month wait). Thank you.
Old 08-14-2024, 05:56 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver
I don't have the separate cap that yours does, but the non-leather part looks to be the same. Maybe if you take that part off, there is a way to tighten the insert or pop it off? Mine has been loose and driving me crazy, but I want to figure out a way that I can add weight in it before I glue it so it's not loose.

Place a fingernail under the top front lip and pull back and up.

Here is what the inside looks like. Notice the clip is only on the very bottom.
Thank you - my only fear is that I break it I hate to drive to the dealer and do that, but I might.
Old 08-14-2024, 06:34 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Just order an aftermarket SS, and problem solved... and no dealer visit. Ha ha. I decided on the SS GT3 version with black smooth leather, silver brush finish top and bottom, no 2nd stitching, no shift-pattern painted, and medium+ weight, for the most OEM look. That should give me the best tactile shifting, according to Roy, who was extremely helpful, and is very knowledgeable. But he's like 2 months behind, so will order mine now, and hope it arrives on time. By the way, he said the GT3 is better for larger hands (L, XL glove size), and the GT1 for smaller hands. And that the larger weight is for more tactile feel, but for very quick shifting (track), less weight is better, hence the 'race' version. Hope that helps others.
The following users liked this post:
fasteddie99 (08-15-2024)
Old 08-15-2024, 08:41 AM
fasteddie99
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 31 Posts

I ordered the exact same **** as JCtx. Mine took 9 weeks to arrive, but well worth the wait...especially when paired with a Numeric short shift kit.

Quick Reply: CF Shifter inlay is loose and driving me crazy