Sponsored By:

Daily driver - Cayenne Turbo or Turbo GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 06:32 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Received 75 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Daily driver - Cayenne Turbo or Turbo GT

So, first world problems here. I currently own a 2023 Cayenne Turbo Coupe that is well optioned with all the performance options, etc. I am debating maybe going for a Turbo GT. This would be a daily driver. My question from those that have experienced both cars is how different is fhe Turbo GT from a well optioned Turbo? I understand horsepower, torque, brakes, etc but I am really asking drivability wise (if that makes sense) given my Turbo has PTV, PDCC, RAS, etc. I really like the GT package but is it worth the extra cost over my Turbo as a daily (and some spirited mountain trips)? I know one difference is the carbon ceramic brakes which would be incredible over the terrible brakes they put on the Turbo. By terrible, I mean the frustration I have had with the noise from them even when coasting. This is almost enough in itself to get into the Turbo GT. I appreciate the advice.
Old 08-05-2024, 06:44 PM
On_Your_Left
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Noise from brakes when you're not braking isn't remotely normal.... am I missing something?
Old 08-05-2024, 08:19 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Originally Posted by On_Your_Left
Noise from brakes when you're not braking isn't remotely normal.... am I missing something?
No it’s not but the car was at the dealership for over 4 weeks with Porsche trying to figure out why…finally think they figured it out but last time their solution lasted a week. So far so good.
Old 08-05-2024, 08:27 PM
obbob
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 78 Posts

2023 and earlier turbos had the Surface Coated Brakes as standard. Porsche discontinued these brakes, most likely due to all the complaints of noise just like you're experiencing. This is no longer a decision factor for you.

If you're shopping for a Turbo GT, then you won't be able to get the GT package on the regular Turbo. That package was only for markets where the Turbo GT was discontinued.

If you plan on doing spirited curvy road driving, then the Turbo GT is much better. It has much more sport oriented suspension and handling. The Turbo Hybrid has more power, but it's clearly much softer and feels like a heavy car.

If all you intend to do is commute and do straight line highway, I think the Turbo Hybrid suits that use case better, and costs alot less too. But you do need a place to charge it since it's a PHEV. Do not get PHEV if you do not plan to charge it.
The following users liked this post:
blackpearl2015 (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 08:52 PM
On_Your_Left
Instructor

Originally Posted by blackpearl2015
No it’s not but the car was at the dealership for over 4 weeks with Porsche trying to figure out why…finally think they figured it out but last time their solution lasted a week. So far so good.
Got it. Well, I will say it's rare to see someone excited at the prospect of PCCBs! You'll see a mix of reasons why most peeps don't care for them (myself included), ranging from non-linear brake feel, loud when cold and/or wet, and of course the always looming in the back of your brain worry about cost should they somehow get damaged or otherwise require replacement. The only positive is the lack of brake dust. But you can buy a LOT of car washes for what they cost....
Old 08-05-2024, 10:20 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Got it. Well, I will say it's rare to see someone excited at the prospect of PCCBs! You'll see a mix of reasons why most peeps don't care for them (myself included), ranging from non-linear brake feel, loud when cold and/or wet, and of course the always looming in the back of your brain worry about cost should they somehow get damaged or otherwise require replacement. The only positive is the lack of brake dust. But you can buy a LOT of car washes for what they cost....
Good perspective. Hadn’t thought about any of that. Thank you! I have been underwhelmed with the Cayenne Turbo steel brakes. I have driven M cars from BMW, etc and I find the Turbo brakes underwhelming and unfortunately I have one that has a lot of brake squeaks (when apply and when not). Some don’t have it but others do and I am one of them.
Old 08-05-2024, 10:21 PM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Originally Posted by obbob
2023 and earlier turbos had the Surface Coated Brakes as standard. Porsche discontinued these brakes, most likely due to all the complaints of noise just like you're experiencing. This is no longer a decision factor for you.

If you're shopping for a Turbo GT, then you won't be able to get the GT package on the regular Turbo. That package was only for markets where the Turbo GT was discontinued.

If you plan on doing spirited curvy road driving, then the Turbo GT is much better. It has much more sport oriented suspension and handling. The Turbo Hybrid has more power, but it's clearly much softer and feels like a heavy car.

If all you intend to do is commute and do straight line highway, I think the Turbo Hybrid suits that use case better, and costs alot less too. But you do need a place to charge it since it's a PHEV. Do not get PHEV if you do not plan to charge it.
‘Good stuff here. Thank you
Old 08-06-2024, 12:19 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

My unscientific analysis is that the lack of brake dust isn't coating the metal parts causing all this noise. I'm not sure how they do it on the PCCB, but I had the dreaded squeal while coasting or driving under 25mph, no brakes applied.

This is what my rear brakes looked like at 23k miles, I have 4 real seasons.

You can see the visible rust on the ears, the dryness on the glide posts and when I removed the pad, the metal backing plate was not attached to the back of the pad.

23k miles and the whole thing is so clean you could eat off it.

Old 08-06-2024, 12:23 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

I painted it up with Permatex Purple and it has been quiet. I didn't remove the retaining clip but I painted it where the pad touches. If I removed the spring I would have painted the part that touches the caliper but it seemed solid and I didn't want to deal with popping the spring out and popping it back in as I didn't disconnect much of the brake line or the sensor wire so I had limited clearances.

Last edited by 3Series; 08-06-2024 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:32 AM
blackpearl2015
Instructor

Originally Posted by 3Series
My unscientific analysis is that the lack of brake dust isn't coating the metal parts causing all this noise. I'm not sure how they do it on the PCCB, but I had the dreaded squeal while coasting or driving under 25mph, no brakes applied.

This is what my rear brakes looked like at 23k miles, I have 4 real seasons.

You can see the visible rust on the ears, the dryness on the glide posts and when I removed the pad, the metal backing plate was not attached to the back of the pad.

23k miles and the whole thing is so clean you could eat off it.
I have the same issue - the dreaded squeal even when coasting typically around 25mph. Good analysis as it makes sense. Frustrating for sure. My M5 would squeal mostly when applying brakes but could resolve it with cleaning the wheels with some wheel cleaner. Doesn’t work on mine unfortunately. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:33 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

I did the same procedures to the front brakes. The front brakes were much dirtier and had some grease coatings. However, compared to other daily driven front brakes I've seen, they were cleaner.

I've cured 90% of the brake noise. I get occasional squeal when coming to a stop when first getting into the car, but it's so quiet it doesn't bother me. I'm now hypersensitive to listening for squeal.
The worst was the squeal with no brakes applied.

I'm also no stranger to PFC 08 and Pagid Yellows on a 911 and GT4 track car. The squeal on get on my Cayenne Turbo is probably 20% of what those race pads sound like.

I'm happy with the brakes for now...

Last edited by 3Series; 08-06-2024 at 12:35 AM.
blackpearl2015 (08-06-2024)
Old 08-08-2024, 01:09 PM
f10tt
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Unfortunately the PSCBs on my Taycan and the Cayenne have the same issue. It's normal. They've been replaced 4x. 3 times on front, 1 time on rear. Permatex purple slathered on there seems to help.

Last edited by f10tt; 08-08-2024 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-08-2024, 03:05 PM
On_Your_Left
Instructor

Originally Posted by f10tt
Unfortunately the PSCBs on my Taycan and the Cayenne have the same issue. It's normal. They've been replaced 4x. 3 times on front, 1 time on rear. Permatex purple slathered on there seems to help.
Yikes. I had no idea!
Old 08-08-2024, 05:34 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,908 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by blackpearl2015
So, first world problems here. I currently own a 2023 Cayenne Turbo Coupe that is well optioned with all the performance options, etc. I am debating maybe going for a Turbo GT. This would be a daily driver. My question from those that have experienced both cars is how different is fhe Turbo GT from a well optioned Turbo? I understand horsepower, torque, brakes, etc but I am really asking drivability wise (if that makes sense) given my Turbo has PTV, PDCC, RAS, etc. I really like the GT package but is it worth the extra cost over my Turbo as a daily (and some spirited mountain trips)? I know one difference is the carbon ceramic brakes which would be incredible over the terrible brakes they put on the Turbo. By terrible, I mean the frustration I have had with the noise from them even when coasting. This is almost enough in itself to get into the Turbo GT. I appreciate the advice.
for a Daily I'd go Turbo and Hybrid - ideal for daily errands but still lots of power for spirited driving…and ideal in stop/go traffic and street driving because the hybrid leaves the ICE motor off and seamlessly adds power for stop/go driving and start/stop…

GT is a beast, but wasted in traffic.
blackpearl2015 (Yesterday)
Old 08-08-2024, 07:25 PM
canuckporsche
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
for a Daily I'd go Turbo and Hybrid - ideal for daily errands but still lots of power for spirited driving…and ideal in stop/go traffic and street driving because the hybrid leaves the ICE motor off and seamlessly adds power for stop/go driving and start/stop…

GT is a beast, but wasted in traffic.
I love my 2024 TGT and find it is very nimble to drive and park around town. I have not driven that Turbo, but being almost 700 pounds heavier than the GT it is likely not quite as light on its feet.

Quick Reply: Daily driver - Cayenne Turbo or Turbo GT