Sponsored By:

Considering an upgrade within the 958 range...opinions welcome

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2024, 10:39 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts
Default Considering an upgrade within the 958 range...opinions welcome

Any and all takes welcome, hot or otherwise.

Current...2011 cayenne s, white with cognac/espresso full leather, air suspension, premium plus, turbo brakes, etc. 99k miles but we'll maintained, no major issues but could use a few things. On a private sale I'd like get about $17k

Proposed...2018 cayenne turbo. Blue over cohiba/black. Heavily optioned but no ccb, which I'm fine with. 63k miles, would hope to buy for about 50k.

On the one hand, I get a newer version of a car I already like many things about (size and useability) and hope to improve what I currently find lacking (bit short on power, kinda clunky drivetrain in my early car, more modern appearance, fewer miles). Alternatively, it's pretty much the same car in a new color with 2 turbos and a few more options for a whopping $33k more. Same basic feel and interior of course.

There are some alternatives, such as throwing a few k at new suspension arms, a good detail, and replace my other daily car (1999 jaguar xjr) with an f90 m5. I don't drive this car much though so seems a waste to drop $80k here.

Thanks for anybinput
Old 07-22-2024, 12:00 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

Regarding a Turbo vs S: The Turbo Cayenne is really that much better from a powertrain standpoint. The S is "sufficient" in the power department, but it's nothing like the turbo - it's a brute, which is really fun when you want it to be, and also that much more drivable thanks to the significant torque that happens so early. It's definitely worth the upgrade from S to Turbo in the engine department. And you more often get other fun goodies thanks to having more options with the turbo, too.

Going 958.1 to 958.2 and paying a HUGE premium is not something I'd do for subtle changes over a 958.1. I think you're primarily paying the premium for the age and miles. There are some really nice 958.1 turbos with low miles in the $30s... $20k more for a 2018 doesn't make sense to me, as even a younger 2018 could have the tar beat out of it by a hapless owner and will have expensive issues arise. But if you're looking for an appearance change... go for it; you only live once!
Old 07-22-2024, 11:13 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

right, just going from 958.1 to a 958.2 (from an S to an S lets say), wouldn't do much for me.

That said, if I'm going to the trouble of a transaction, I wouldn't do it for a 958.1, particularly as I don't care for the rear of the 958.1 (but do prefer the front).

To your point, any used car could have had the tar beat out of it. I have to go by my judgment of the quality of the car.

This 958.2 gives the added goodies (pano, keyless, acc, pdcc, etc.) with more power, and the updated looks. Its really the overall upgrade that has me considering the upgrade.
Old 07-22-2024, 02:59 PM
YogaYoghurt
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Any and all takes welcome, hot or otherwise.

Current...2011 cayenne s, white with cognac/espresso full leather, air suspension, premium plus, turbo brakes, etc. 99k miles but we'll maintained, no major issues but could use a few things. On a private sale I'd like get about $17k

Proposed...2018 cayenne turbo. Blue over cohiba/black. Heavily optioned but no ccb, which I'm fine with. 63k miles, would hope to buy for about 50k.

On the one hand, I get a newer version of a car I already like many things about (size and useability) and hope to improve what I currently find lacking (bit short on power, kinda clunky drivetrain in my early car, more modern appearance, fewer miles). Alternatively, it's pretty much the same car in a new color with 2 turbos and a few more options for a whopping $33k more. Same basic feel and interior of course.

There are some alternatives, such as throwing a few k at new suspension arms, a good detail, and replace my other daily car (1999 jaguar xjr) with an f90 m5. I don't drive this car much though so seems a waste to drop $80k here.

Thanks for anybinput
I'd keep the current 958.1 and replace the Jag with the M5.

I have an F13 M6 and a 14 CTTS. The M6 puts a much bigger smile on my face than the Cayenne. I think the primary differences are the transmission and the turbo lag. The DCT "feels" like a performance car should. Instant gear shifts. The asin is great for a truck and normal driving but leaves a lot to be desired with gear changes and the "performance" feeling. While the F90 has a ZF 8 speed and not a DCT, it's still miles ahead our transmission in the 958, and offers a similar feel to the DCT.

Even with a pedal commander, the turbo/transmission lag on the CTTS is just disappointing compared to the BMW. BMW - instant downshift and you're gone. 958 - what feels like a 1 second downshift, slowly build boost, off like a rocket once everything catches up.

If you're looking for a "sports car" feel, I don't think a newer 958 is going to provide that.
Old 07-22-2024, 08:10 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 467 Likes on 311 Posts

My vote would be to keep the current Cayenne with that awesome color combo. Not sure on year changes but I wasn’t a fan of the haptic glass and all the fingerprints on everything when I had a loaner. I’m always all for newer, nicer, shinier, faster, etc - but with that said, I’m hanging on to my 14 GTS (for which I got trade offers from $9k-$14k - no thanks). Ponying up that much extra cash is no bueno for me.
Old 07-23-2024, 09:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by leftlane
My vote would be to keep the current Cayenne with that awesome color combo. Not sure on year changes but I wasn’t a fan of the haptic glass and all the fingerprints on everything when I had a loaner. I’m always all for newer, nicer, shinier, faster, etc - but with that said, I’m hanging on to my 14 GTS (for which I got trade offers from $9k-$14k - no thanks). Ponying up that much extra cash is no bueno for me.
Thanks for your thoughts. The 2018 is the last year of the 958, its not the 9YO or whatever its called. I had a loaner from the newer gen and while I didn't mind the outside, the inside felt cheap and I hated the tech.
Old 07-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Have had three 911's, one 944, one Boxster Spyder, and one 2017 Cayenne GTS I bought used at 30K miles. Absolutely love that car. It's gotten to the point that if I only had to have one Porsche it would be a Cayenne and most likely a GTS. They're scarce on the used market but in my opinion worth the effort and whatever extra change. Haven't seen or driven the latest iteration of the GTS but I'm not a fan of the latest "styling" and all the haptic glass either. More than likely I'll be owning and nursing my current GTS for years to come because I enjoy it that much.
Old 07-24-2024, 07:48 PM
Franko T
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 80 Posts

Get the Turbo, The extra options + insane power is worth it. 958.1 or .2 either one you cannot go wrong with. Try not to get PTV+, it fails and expensive to fix.
Old 07-24-2024, 08:32 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 614 Likes on 470 Posts

Originally Posted by Franko T
Get the Turbo, The extra options + insane power is worth it. 958.1 or .2 either one you cannot go wrong with. Try not to get PTV+, it fails and expensive to fix.
Everything is going to "fail" as we're talking about an old used Cayenne here... that's like saying don't get one with a leather dash, or air suspension, or PDCC, or keyless entry, or ACC, or Lane Change Assist, or sun blinds, or heated/cooled seats, etc.... A used 958 has countless things that are potentials to fail which are all extremely expensive to fix, especially if you're paying someone else to fix it. I've rebuilt maybe 6 PTV+ rear diffs and I still wouldn't want a 958 without it!
Old 07-25-2024, 02:27 PM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,518 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I have become a 958.2 fan because of how reliable they are. I have three them and love them all. Two are 2016 Turbo S's and one is a 2017 GTS. Two have had their transfer cases replaced and that is not a big deal. Other than that, it has been maintenance by the book. No other problems!

My wife and I have regularly ordered new cars in the past. For the last four years we sat down to custom order a new Cayenne Turbo S with our Exclusive sales rep. Never pulled the trigger because we could not get past the insane touch screen menus. That is why we bought another 958.2 with super low miles. Just as a spare! The new cars have lost so much of the tactile responsiveness of driving. I loathe looking at a touch screen and scrolling through menus simply to turn the fan down.... Sheesh! I'll pay the occasional repair cost rather than eat a huge amount of depreciation and/or have an accident because I was looking at a screen, instead of driving.

Last edited by 928 GT R; 07-25-2024 at 02:29 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 928 GT R:
max911 (08-03-2024), twokbolt (07-25-2024)
Old 08-03-2024, 10:55 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

well, that cayenne sold and I wasn't too upset about it, so we found a good F90 and pulled the trigger. Ultimately the better outcome i think.
Old 08-04-2024, 12:13 AM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,518 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
well, that cayenne sold and I wasn't too upset about it, so we found a good F90 and pulled the trigger. Ultimately the better outcome i think.
I'd have gone with the 958.2 Turbo as they are so fast and reliable. Just my .02

Enjoy the F90

Quick Reply: Considering an upgrade within the 958 range...opinions welcome