Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If I want a 964 to drive, is buying one of the special models worthwhile?

Search this Thread

Old Today, 05:55 AM
DrJay
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Default If I want a 964 to drive, is buying one of the special models worthwhile?

By special models I am referring to one of the Cup cars, an imported RS, an America RS, etc... Is there any reason at all to buy one of those over a well sorted Carrera 2 if the intention is to drive it rather than store it in a garage.
Old Today, 06:49 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

You'll get as many answers as there are members here.
My answer: I can't afford the price of the special versions, so I build mine according to my criteria.

As long as it is not too modified, the value will stay, if that's important to you.
Old Today, 07:38 AM
misteralz
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

If you can afford it, sure. If I could afford it, I'd buy the highest mileage 'special' model I could, and use it. There was a rubystone RS for sale in Switzerland recently for low six figures, because it had something like 400k km on it. I can't afford that, sadly. If I could have, it'd be in my garage now.
Buy something you'll enjoy and don't treat it as an investment in anything other than enjoying your life. We only get one.
Old Today, 10:07 AM
jeff33702
Rennlist Member

Received 379 Likes on 263 Posts

I have an RSA with a lot of miles. It does somewhat remove that part of the anxiety about driving it. I still can’t leave it anywhere

these are all equally enjoyable so the general rule applies - buy the best car you can find..will save you headaches and money in the future.
Old Today, 10:10 AM
cjoenck
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

It's an emotional question with a bunch of emotional answers, for sure. There really is no absolute answer. Whatever makes you happy is the right choice. Personally, I couldn't drive a car worth that much on a daily basis without being afraid of other drivers. Since I believe these cars were made to be driven rather than a being stored in a garage, I would take a well sorted daily driver over a rare car any day. I get my enjoyment out of driving them, someone else may get as much enjoyment out of looking at them and knowing they own one. Of course the "special versions" can be driven too but you get a lot more insurance issues and value preservation questions. That's just me.
Old Today, 10:29 AM
Vegas993
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 135 Posts

A properly setup C2 is plenty of fun to drive for a lot less money. With the significant cost increase for a Cup Car or RS, you're essentially paying for cool factor.

Quick Reply: If I want a 964 to drive, is buying one of the special models worthwhile?