Sponsored by:

Jake Raby rebuild suffers bore scoring - options and help

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM
tbobby910
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jake Raby rebuild suffers bore scoring - options and help

Hi all, I'm in the unfortunate position of having bore scoring. I was selling the car and the prospective buyer got a PPI and the scoring was discovered. So now I have a car I was planning on selling that needs a large cash investment. In a bit of a unique situation, the car already has a Flat 6 innovations engine in it with the Nikasil liners. It was a 2005 base but now 3.8. The engine since the elective rebuild has ~37k miles on it and was rebuilt at Raby's place in 2013. So, leaning into the group brain trust to see what the general advice and options are including rough cost estimates. I have engaged a shop recommended by Jake Raby. This was kind of a punch in the gut since I had a sale and planned to put the cash into a new house but those plans are now changed.

Thanks in advance

for the input!

Last edited by tbobby910; Yesterday at 10:46 PM. Reason: Update title
Old Yesterday, 10:05 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,852 Likes on 2,873 Posts

Sorry to hear this. IMO Real Estate/house purchase comes before our toys.
.......I'm sure there will be many Jake Raby followers who will be disappointed to learn the news.
Hard to believe the engine crapped out after only 37K miles. I wonder if previous owner has documentation of oil changes/engine care/etc since the rebuild?

Last edited by groovzilla; Yesterday at 10:07 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:16 PM
tbobby910
AutoX

No clue when it happened. The car is the car in the link below. I purchased it from the guy that won that auction. Previous owner only had it 4k miles and I've been meticulous with oil changes, warming up prior to high revs, and oil analysis etc. I did not have it bore scoped when I purchased it. Honestly its all a bit frustrating because it seems like it shouldn't have happened but it did...

And yes, agree. We own a few investment properties and recently moved out of one of them and we're renting a place while we decide where we want to live. Wife found a house she liked and selling the car was just adding to the down payment. No matter how you slice it, the sale of the car was a nice addition to the house fund.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...11-carrera-41/
Old Yesterday, 10:22 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tbobby910
No clue when it happened. The car is the car in the link below. I purchased it from the guy that won that auction. Previous owner only had it 4k miles and I've been meticulous with oil changes, warming up prior to high revs, and oil analysis etc. I did not have it bore scoped when I purchased it. Honestly its all a bit frustrating because it seems like it shouldn't have happened but it did...
And yes, agree. We own a few investment properties and recently moved out of one of them and we're renting a place while we decide where we want to live. Wife found a house she liked and selling the car was just adding to the down payment. No matter how you slice it, the sale of the car was a nice addition to the house fund.
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...11-carrera-41/
Would be interesting to find out, after the Jake Raby rebuild, if the car lived it's life in a cold weather climate?
As a matter of customer service, I would have imagined Raby would give you some sort of discount on another rebuild OR perhaps help with the rebuild process with his discount on parts/Etc.

I have owned many 997's and have done many Bore Scope Inspections when I have looked for 997's to purchase. Have seen some ugly results and yours are certainly looking ugly.
I'm really sorry to hear the news - Perhaps a good used warrantied engine might suffice and less painful to the wallet and get the car going and sold?

I also think if you edited this Thread and titled it "Jake Raby rebuild has Bore Scoring" it will attract more viewers and more knowledgable wrenches for a fix.

Last edited by groovzilla; Yesterday at 10:28 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:39 PM
tbobby910
AutoX

Default Jake Raby Engine suffers bore scoring - options

Cannot figure out how to edit the title of the original thread per suggestion for more eyes for more advice.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM
tbobby910
AutoX

I didn't see an option to edit the title. Do you know how to do this?

The car was in Minnesota prior to me and I believe WV before that. I am in FL.
Old Yesterday, 10:41 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Cannot figure out how to edit the title of the original thread per suggestion for more eyes for more advice.
SHould be an "Advanced" edit link once you hit edit which allows editing the Title.

Old Yesterday, 10:47 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 183 Posts

Not so fast........ Have you sent the native images to Jake at Flat 6? Has he confirmed it's scored? It's hard to tell from those pictures but that looks more like bore streaking (purely cosmetic), not bore scoring. Streaking is often misdiagnosed as bore scoring. Nikasil doesn't really score.... not unless you do something ridiculous like run the engine without oil in it.
Old Yesterday, 10:51 PM
tbobby910
AutoX

Originally Posted by silver_tt
Not so fast........ Have you sent the native images to Jake at Flat 6? Has he confirmed it's scored? It's hard to tell from those pictures but that looks more like bore streaking (purely cosmetic), not bore scoring. Streaking is often misdiagnosed as bore scoring. Nikasil doesn't really score.... not unless you do something ridiculous like run the engine without oil in it.
I sent them last night and have not heard back. I’ve read everything about the streaking and unfortunately some marks look like scoring. We were in communication about the oil consumption issue and I replaced the AOS per his suggestion. As far as I know, it’s never gone below min oil.
Old Yesterday, 10:55 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silver_tt
If you can't see/tell the bad scoring in those photos you need some serious eyewear

Last edited by groovzilla; Yesterday at 11:02 PM.
Old Yesterday, 10:56 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 183 Posts

I would wait to hear back from him and you could also create a ticket with LN Engineering who is handling this side of the business for Flat6 these days. How much oil is it consuming and has it been increasing? Nikasil cylinders require low tension rings and are known to consume more oil. It's too early to panic just yet, I am not convinced that is scoring from those images alone.
Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I sent them last night and have not heard back. I’ve read everything about the streaking and unfortunately some marks look like scoring. We were in communication about the oil consumption issue and I replaced the AOS per his suggestion. As far as I know, it’s never gone below min oil.
Is the car exhibiting high oil consumtion or engine noise??

Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
If you can't see/tell the bad scoring in those photos you need some serious eyewear

Take a look at the fourth picture in particular, that is clearly a long gouge toward the top that has significant depth. I know Jake is like a god around here, but we can make that call without his blessing.

So what could have happened? That doesn't look like scoring I've seen before (progressive aluminum galling) but more like something that foreign debris could have caused. Although it doesn't erase the damage, it may not spread as the debris was likely flushed out already.

Second the comment to open a ticket with LNE as those are Charles' sleeves and his shop did the work. Plus he always has insightful comments.
Old Yesterday, 11:22 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PV997
Take a look at the fourth picture in particular, that is clearly a long gouge toward the top that has significant depth. I know Jake is like a god around here, but we can make that call without his blessing.
So what could have happened? That doesn't look like scoring I've seen before (progressive aluminum galling) but more like something that foreign debris could have caused. Although it doesn't erase the damage, it may not spread as the debris was likely flushed out already.
Second the comment to open a ticket with LNE as those are Charles' sleeves and his shop did the work. Plus he always has insightful comments.
Whatever the case it will be interesting to find out what could have caused this.

Last edited by groovzilla; Yesterday at 11:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Jake Raby rebuild suffers bore scoring - options and help