Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fading Carpet That Goes Over Engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2024, 07:36 PM
AeroStress
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Fading Carpet That Goes Over Engine

I am sure this is a problem for a lot of people, but wondering there is a way to restore with a black spray or something? Get a used one seems unlikely (all pretty faded). The new option isn't too bad (about $350), but thought I would see if there are some quick fixes first.
Old 07-18-2024, 10:09 AM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 58 Posts

I just re-dyed mine on the weekend. I used a packet of black RIT that I picked up at a local fabric store. I just got the regular RIT in the box (can do nylon), not the Synthetic, I'll see how it lasts.
I followed the instructions to mix with 1 cup of vinegar for Nylon as well as the hot water and then used a saturated microfiber to very liberally wipe it all over the carpet (out of the car obviously) until I had used all of it up.
I let the cover dry completely over the period of a couple of days and even then I still noticed the faint smell of vinegar when getting into the car for a couple of days but by now its either gone or I'm used to it

End result though is nice black engine cover carpet.

Cheers,
Julian
Old 07-18-2024, 10:39 AM
AeroStress
Instructor

Very cool. I see on Amazon there is a regular black RIT and a synthetic black RIT. Which one do you think is better?
Old 07-18-2024, 11:21 AM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

I used the regular RIT buuuut I didn't know there was a synthetic one.
My wife actually asked why I didn't get the synthetic one so I confidently replied "because the carpet fibers are a vinyl derivetive" with 100% conviction ....I'm not sure what the carpet is made of though.

It may be that I will need to re do it with the synthetic dye down the track but I will be making sure I pay cash for the synthetic dye and do it when she is not around
Old 07-19-2024, 10:09 PM
Kuro Neko
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,701 Likes on 648 Posts

For smaller areas, less in line-of-sight, I've used boot polish successfully a number of times... notably old Targa pedal box and kick panel carpeting.
Old 07-21-2024, 10:51 AM
AeroStress
Instructor

The RIT dye says to soak it for 30 min in 200F+ water. I could get a garbage can and a heating element I suppose, but that seems like a hassle. I am also concerned about damaging the foam. Did you do that? It seems a spray on fabric dye would be a lot easier. What do you think?
Old Today, 01:08 PM
Julian_KCMO
Instructor

No I didn't soak the entire carpet, just very liberally wiped it on. I also wouldn't want to soak/cook the entire thing for fear of damaging the foam.
As stated I'm not super confident this'll last very long BUT my car doesn't spend a lot of time parked in the open sun, its in my garage or underground at work.

Let us know if you choose to try something else.

Quick Reply: Fading Carpet That Goes Over Engine