992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightweight glass option experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024 | 04:00 PM
tbo12
Rennlist Member

Default Lightweight glass option experiences?

I am considering a 2024 992.1 Carrera S with this option but being advised to be cautious because of a tendency to crack and then the cost and delays in getting replacement pieces. This is coming from a very trusted source inside a dealership where he has first-hand knowledge from cars needing to have window repairs, but of course they don't see others who have no issues. I'm hoping to hear the good, bad and ugly stories from Rennlisters who have this option and what their first-hand experiencer has been with regard to damaged glass. I've read all the other posts about the presence or not of sound, road noise, etc. and don't need that feedback.. Thank you
Old 07-12-2024 | 06:26 PM
adm63
Pro

the light weight glass is compulsory on the Carrera T, and there are several users in the Carrera T thread who have experienced spontaneous cracking of the light weight glass, sometimes more than once. I have not had issues in the first year of ownership personally but I've accepted that it's something that may happen at some point. As far as delays of getting replacement glass go, it seems that some users have previously had to wait extended periods of time for replacement glass, but most recently a user shared that their dealer was able to get the glass replaced within the span of a week, so that may be improving on Porsche's end.
Old 07-12-2024 | 07:51 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

OP, my driver's side window has spontaneously spidered twice in 3 months last year and given that and the choice to order standard glass, I'd ditch the LWNG all day long.
Old 07-12-2024 | 08:26 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

I’ve had my Touring since March. I’ve replaced my windshield and my rear glass. Windshield was a stone from the car in front of me and within a couple hours of driving that 6” crack went pillar to pillar. Car was deadlined for 2 weeks waiting on the new windshield. The rear I walked out to the car one morning and it cracked dead center and across around 4” wide. No rhyme or reason.

I would not replace the front windshield with LWG if I was out of pocket for a replacement. I would keep the rear LWG because it doesn’t have the defroster lines.
Old 07-12-2024 | 08:32 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

^^^Instance 1-not the fault of the glass; Instance 2-fault of the glass. I don't know the difference between standard and LWNG other than what I've read but weight be damned, I'd get the standard glass if I had a choice. If I need to worry about weight I'll spend more time in time in the gym.

Last edited by Scott P; 07-12-2024 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-12-2024 | 08:51 PM
dixonk
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott P
^^^Instance 1-not the fault of the glass; Instance 2-fault of the glass. I don't know the difference between standard and LWNG other than what I've read but weight be damned, I'd get the standard glass if I had a choice. If I need to worry about weight I'll spend more time in time in the gym.
Correct, not the fault of the glass. I’ve never had regular glass spiderweb and crack from end to end so rapidly before though. The stone that hit my windshield would have been a rock chip at best on normal glass.
Old 07-12-2024 | 11:03 PM
Jkb545
Racer

Seems the spidering issues are more frequent in the GT3 line up. Less so in others, but still occasionally happen.
Old 07-12-2024 | 11:12 PM
toph4242
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jkb545
Seems the spidering issues are more frequent in the GT3 line up. Less so in others, but still occasionally happen.
I have a 2023 911T and my car was the one that had the driver door lightweight glass crack and spider out of nowhere this week. As mentioned, the issue occurred on a Tuesday morning, the glass was ordered that day, and it arrived and was installed on my car on a Thursday! Certainly longer time frames for front and rear glass, but the door windows were available at the warehouse.
The following users liked this post:
Scott P (07-13-2024)
Old 07-13-2024 | 08:25 AM
txpackers
Racer

I just reached the one year mark with 5,000 miles and no issues with the glass. I added ceramic tint on every window too.

Very early cars with this option seemed to have issues. By the time I ordered, it seemed like the issues had been resolved. Or at least posts here on issues seemed to be non-existent. So perhaps they made a change to material or manufacturing process to fix the issues. I went ahead with adding it as an option knowing that it may have issues. I wanted this glass paired with the Burmester for the music I listen to when driving. I’ve been very pleased with it.

I have read the issues that @Scott P has experienced. If that was my experience, I also would not option it again in the future.
Old 07-13-2024 | 01:10 PM
tbo12
Rennlist Member

Thank you to all of those who took the time to respond. Your responses are most helpful, and honestly, I'm going to pass on the car with this option based on the recommendation by my dealer shop foreman advice and the feedback you have provided. Nice to see that TXPACKERS has had no issues. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2024 | 01:58 PM
quarterscale
Instructor

Just took delivery in June of our '24 Carrera T. I hope the issue has been solved. Told the dealer upon delivery that I didn't wanted it tested for fear of the cracking issue. I don't think the car had a TSB out for my particular VIN since it was an April 24 build. Crossing fingers. Also, curious to know if other LTW glass folks nave used their rear window defrost function, as I think this glass DOES have an integrated micro-woven heating element if you look closely. Let me know if you have this function (haven't experienced enough cold weather to test it).
Old 07-13-2024 | 03:06 PM
desert dweller
Intermediate

I have LWG on a 2023 992.1 GTS. 2500 miles and 9 months ownership so far and no issues. I ordered for the claimed acoustic properties. It does seem to keep the noise down compared to my previous (991.1 and 991.2) GTS cars.
Old 07-15-2024 | 05:42 PM
thundus
4th Gear

I've got a Carrera T with about 10,000 miles, caught a stone chip in the front windshield which immediately spread as multiple cracks halfway across the glass making the vehicle pretty much undriveable. Car's been waiting almost four weeks now for replacement glass, still showing no stock in US or Germany and no ETA. It's covered by insurance, but still thinking of just going with the regular glass to at least get the car back on the road.
dixonk (07-15-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 07:14 PM
Scott P
Rennlist Member

a failure due to a stone is not the convo we are having. You can't go with "regular glass" as it won't fit. I carry this around just in case and would apply it immediately to the damaged spot.

jbl16 (07-16-2024)
Old 07-16-2024 | 08:26 PM
jbl16
Racer

Originally Posted by thundus
I've got a Carrera T with about 10,000 miles, caught a stone chip in the front windshield which immediately spread as multiple cracks halfway across the glass making the vehicle pretty much undriveable. Car's been waiting almost four weeks now for replacement glass, still showing no stock in US or Germany and no ETA. It's covered by insurance, but still thinking of just going with the regular glass to at least get the car back on the road.
Regular glass is definitely better but still easily cracks as well. Just got my windshield replaced last month, the regular windshield was in stock in the US, took less than a week to arrive at the glass shop. I don't believe they will let you order a regular windshield, report back if they do.

Last edited by jbl16; 07-16-2024 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Lightweight glass option experiences?