Sponsored by:

2006 997.1 C4 Launch Edition / Porsche Classic Register

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2024, 10:56 AM
jquackenbush
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 997.1 C4 Launch Edition / Porsche Classic Register

Hi everyone. I've found a well cared for 2006 997.1 C4 with around 50k miles. Evidently it's a Launch Edition / Exclusive Option car. I'm told it's also eligible for the "Porsche Classic Register". Just wondering what value there might be in these designations, if any. Do they help resale value long term? Are they worth special consideration? Frankly, I hadn't been looking for these options.

Many thanks in advance for your insight and comments.

Old 07-03-2024, 11:01 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 237 Posts

paging @groovzilla
Old 07-03-2024, 12:16 PM
TheMurse
Racer

Received 581 Likes on 172 Posts

Hi @jquackenbush I own a 2006 C4 Launch Edition, albeit with much higher mileage.

The Launch Edition cars were spec'd by the factory and sent to dealers as showroom pieces to introduce the new 997. My understanding is that Launch Edition cars are designated as such by a unique option code on the build sheet and that they share a similar loadout with full leather interiors, Bose sound systems, generally (but not always) included desirable options like Sport PASM, sport seats, Carrera Sport wheels, PCCB. Exterior colors were limited, the only Launch Edition colors I've encountered are Arctic Silver and Black.

I've not been able to nail down a definitive number but I believe at least one Launch Edition car was sent to every dealer in the US, in the case of the 2006 C4 that would work out to somewhere between 180-200 cars.

Being 2006 model year cars they have the larger IMS bearing which is not serviceable but is generally more robust than the older, smaller bearing.

Exclusive options on a Launch Edition car would likely signify custom tailoring added by the receiving dealership for their showroom model.

I wouldn't expect the Launch Edition designation to significantly add to the value of a car outside of the desirability of certain options like full leather.

I'd love to hear from any other forum member who own Lauch Edition cars or who might have further insight into the production numbers.
Old 07-03-2024, 12:25 PM
jquackenbush
4th Gear

Thanks for the quick and thorough reply TheMurse. This particular C4 is pretty sparse on the options — no PASM, no sports seats, no PCCB. It does have the full leather interior and Bose sound system. While I have you, are you happy with the C4? Frankly I've been looking for a C4S. But starting to think a C4 might be plenty of car for me.

Thanks again!

Originally Posted by TheMurse
Hi @jquackenbush I own a 2006 C4 Launch Edition, albeit with much higher mileage.

The Launch Edition cars were spec'd by the factory and sent to dealers as showroom pieces to introduce the new 997. My understanding is that Launch Edition cars are designated as such by a unique option code on the build sheet and that they share a similar loadout with full leather interiors, Bose sound systems, generally (but not always) included desirable options like Sport PASM, sport seats, Carrera Sport wheels, PCCB. Exterior colors were limited, the only Launch Edition colors I've encountered are Arctic Silver and Black.

I've not been able to nail down a definitive number but I believe at least one Launch Edition car was sent to every dealer in the US, in the case of the 2006 C4 that would work out to somewhere between 180-200 cars.

Being 2006 model year cars they have the larger IMS bearing which is not serviceable but is generally more robust than the older, smaller bearing.

Exclusive options on a Launch Edition car would likely signify custom tailoring added by the receiving dealership for their showroom model.

I wouldn't expect the Launch Edition designation to significantly add to the value of a car outside of the desirability of certain options like full leather.

I'd love to hear from any other forum member who own Lauch Edition cars or who might have further insight into the production numbers.
Old 07-03-2024, 02:09 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,888 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Full leather is a great option! .C4 a great model - SO you have a perfect 997 combo!! ---->Love the C4 wider body and they have a bit better handling in the curves especially when lowered 1" w/H&R Springs
I would imagine the "Launch Edition" 997 might fetch a bit more in market value in years to come but I don't believe it would be that significant.

Keep us posted!

Last edited by groovzilla; 07-03-2024 at 02:18 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jquackenbush (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 03:07 PM
TheMurse
Racer

Received 581 Likes on 172 Posts

@jquackenbush - More than happy with the C4. The difference between the 3.6 and 3.8 motors in real world terms is not something I notice. I've driven both and I find that the 3.6 has plenty of power for street driving as well as my favorite canyon/mountain runs. The S car does get slightly larger brakes as well as the factory sport exhaust, nice features if you have them, not something you can't live without. If you can find a C4S they're amazing cars. If you have a line on a well-cared for C4 you aren't settling for a lesser car.
Old 07-03-2024, 04:59 PM
jquackenbush
4th Gear

Thanks again! Very much appreciate your perspective. Enjoy those canyon runs!
TheMurse (07-03-2024)
Old 07-03-2024, 08:03 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,888 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by jquackenbush
Thanks again! Very much appreciate your perspective. Enjoy those canyon runs!
Also having owned 3 997 C4S & 2 997 C4, I do not notice any difference in HP or larger brakes on the C4S model. Very mute point if you ask me.
Besides the black guage faces on the C4 are the best! Just like the old aircooled days

Old 07-03-2024, 10:16 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Also having owned 3 997 C4S & 2 997 C4, I do not notice any difference in HP or larger brakes on the C4S model. Very mute point if you ask me.
Besides the black guage faces on the C4 are the best! Just like the old aircooled days
Whoa....all those praises... I should definitely look into getting one.. Wait.
groovzilla (07-03-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 04:59 PM
jquackenbush
4th Gear

Thanks so much! Really helpful to hear your thoughts.

Quick Reply: 2006 997.1 C4 Launch Edition / Porsche Classic Register