Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Contemplating change of oil type

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 11:34 PM
Joe Hine
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Contemplating change of oil type

Hello everyone
I have an 06 Cayman S. Love the car and it is currently working fine. 65k miles. I am contemplating changing the type of oil I use on the next change. I currently use the 5W40 Mobil 1 recommended in the owners manual. Like a lot of owners I worry about bore scoring and want to do everything I can to prevent and minimize the problem. I am thinking about changing to Liquid Moli, but there is a large number of choices of different types of Liquid Moli on amazon. Could I have some feedback on this change if anyone else has done it. Is the oil really that much better, or is it good advertising. If you have changed or think the oil is a better choice, which of the different types would you use. Cheers everyone, thanks in advance.

Joe
Old Yesterday, 11:43 PM
sundered
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've used Mobil 1 for years without issues. Stick with what works, maybe?
Old Today, 03:59 AM
Cemlo
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

In your shoes I'd stick with what you are using and maybe invest in an oil anylasis report, it will tell you a lot about any engine wear etc. An interesting read "While mixing lubricants won’t harm the engine, this report shows how it disrupts the oil’s chemistry, which can shorten its service life and reduce performance." - https://blog.amsoil.com/how-to-perform-oil-analysis/

I just bought Mobil 1 0w40 rather 5w40 by mistake, I read that it's much the same and shouldn't be an issue. I also concidered a flush with a cheaper oil at a fraction of the Mobil cost but reading the above put me off, I think sticking to the same brand/spec is the important part.

Quick Reply: Contemplating change of oil type