Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2024, 12:11 PM
JGC
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default High Mileage Cayenne Turbo

I'm looking at this 2020 Cayenne Turbo Coupe

https://www.porschenorthhouston.com/...BF2AYXLDA65697

Not sure if anybody happens to know anything about this vehicle? It seems like the second owner only had it for a few hundred miles. Is that an issue? I guess my question really is what are the downsides for procuring a higher mileage CPO vehicle? Would purchasing an extended warranty when the CPO runs out be an issue?

Any thoughts and comments would be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2024, 12:19 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 563 Posts

I think Porsche usually offers you to extend the CPO warranty when it's coming to the end. It's expensive but it's an option. When dealing with high miles, you really have to think of where the market currently is and where you think it's going to be when you sell it. The last owner may have thought well I got to own it for a bit and didn't lose much money.
Old 07-01-2024, 12:30 PM
jago
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

bought a 47k '19 ctt for wife last year.
use this pre sale negotiating period to beat them down for cosmetic repairs inside and out. they do wonders with leather repair these days and recheck any tsb especially if pscb brakes. do not tolerate any dealer excuses on weird noises, we got new front calipers and pads out of it. (ps they still do squeak on occasion)
check history for coolant pump valve which may strand you if it goes.
at 50k otherwise our turbo looks, rides and sounds brand new. best of luck.
The following users liked this post:
JGC (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 12:50 PM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 530 Likes on 324 Posts

It's nicely equipped without going overboard. Quite an *** impact crater in the right rear seat!

Old 07-01-2024, 01:05 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Originally Posted by JGC

Not sure if anybody happens to know anything about this vehicle? It seems like the second owner only had it for a few hundred miles. Is that an issue? I guess my question really is what are the downsides for procuring a higher mileage CPO vehicle? Would purchasing an extended warranty when the CPO runs out be an issue?

Prepare for the unexpected. 9Y0 mileage at 100k miles and beyond is not yet well documented. A few cars are near or beyond 150k miles. Not too many have surpassed 100k miles, at least that have been reported here.

Water pump on the V8 seems to be a weakness. The V8 water pump is gear/shaft driven compared with the V6 belt driven pump. Separately and related, both water pumps use a vacuum-actuated active shroud device that can fail and take the vacuum system with it as collateral damage.

Spark plug change on the V8 is a headache.

There may be one or two other V8 things to watch out for. Search this site. Buy an extended warranty if that suits you. Otherwise plan for a couple of grand $$ in repairs if you plan to own for a while. This is standard practice when owning German luxury cars out of warranty.
GT3ZZZ (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 01:24 PM
Silververtu
Pro

Received 233 Likes on 173 Posts

On the 9Y0 APR thread a Cayenne GTS had over 80k miles (APR tuned) and claimed no issue with regular maintenance.

Like ​​​​​@chassis mentioned, changing spark plugs is a pain in the V8. I ended up paying dealership $675 on labor to do spark plugs change.
chassis (07-01-2024)
Old 07-01-2024, 01:59 PM
Highline-Autos.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 487 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by JGC

Would purchasing an extended warranty when the CPO runs out be an issue?

Purchasing extended warranty coverage wouldn't be an issue, it is just he cost of coverage may not present itself a good value since extended warranty providers like Fidelity are almost purely mileage on the vehicle based for their cost of coverage into the future. If you have any questions or would like to explore extended warranty coverage you can reach me at my contact information below.

Trenton O. Gibson
tgibson@highline-autos.com
Highline Autos
Direct: 602.909.9216
Office: 480.348.0777

Official RECARO Automotive Retailer: www.highline-autos.com/product-category/recaro/

Highline Autos Magazine - Volume XXI, Issue 03 https://bit.ly/3wTsNzM

Old 07-01-2024, 03:46 PM
JGC
Advanced

[QUOTE=Woofman;19524668]It's nicely equipped without going overboard. Quite an *** impact crater in the right rear seat!

Yes, it's quite stretched the leather in that location. Looks like something heavy and sharper than a large rear end is what caused that. Other than that the interior leather is in good condition. I think they have already "repaired" the leather.
Old 07-01-2024, 03:52 PM
JGC
Advanced

A couple of people have mentioned water pumps (@chassis & @jago). What should I look out for there, or is it just an age/mileage/luck type situation? I will ask if the spark plugs have been changed as part of the CPO inspection/service.
Old 07-01-2024, 05:42 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JGC
A couple of people have mentioned water pumps (@chassis & @jago). What should I look out for there, or is it just an age/mileage/luck type situation? I will ask if the spark plugs have been changed as part of the CPO inspection/service.
The active shroud failure on the water pump doesn’t seem to give notice before letting go, based on reports on this site. The failure is an internal seal that gets compromised allowing coolant to enter the vacuum line which controls the active shroud. Once in the vacuum system the coolant creates collateral damage.

Last edited by chassis; 07-02-2024 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-01-2024, 06:39 PM
chassis
Rennlist Member

This gives you an idea of what to search for. V6 and V8 water pumps are very different but use the same principal of coolant control. https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ng-issues.html
Old 07-01-2024, 06:49 PM
Shuga
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 563 Posts

[QUOTE=JGC;19525052]
Originally Posted by Woofman
It's nicely equipped without going overboard. Quite an *** impact crater in the right rear seat!

Yes, it's quite stretched the leather in that location. Looks like something heavy and sharper than a large rear end is what caused that. Other than that the interior leather is in good condition. I think they have already "repaired" the leather.
Could be from a car seat
nkhalidi (07-05-2024)
Old 07-02-2024, 02:50 PM
JGC
Advanced

Thank you all for the advice. I have to admit, that I am somewhat worried by this water pump situation, but forewarned is forearmed! I've asked a few questions of the dealership and will wait for their response before making any further decision.
chassis (07-02-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 02:07 PM
JGC
Advanced

So PNH are not moving on the price they want for this Cayenne Turbo, nor are they prepared to up their trade in offer for my GLE53. In addition, they have done the usual of slapping on a couple of "extras", hence the reason for digging out this old chain. Has anybody here heard of "Starguard"? It is a vehicle tracking service apparently, with quite a hefty one time activation fee. Such a shame that these dealerships feel the need to do these add ons. It feels so cheap.

Anyway, this chase is over for now. I think I would still like to get back into a Cayenne. I had a 2013 Cayenne GTS that I absolutely loved. I think I will look for a 9Y0 Cayenne S.
Old 07-12-2024, 03:31 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by JGC
So PNH are not moving on the price they want for this Cayenne Turbo, nor are they prepared to up their trade in offer for my GLE53. In addition, they have done the usual of slapping on a couple of "extras", hence the reason for digging out this old chain. Has anybody here heard of "Starguard"? It is a vehicle tracking service apparently, with quite a hefty one time activation fee. Such a shame that these dealerships feel the need to do these add ons. It feels so cheap.

Anyway, this chase is over for now. I think I would still like to get back into a Cayenne. I had a 2013 Cayenne GTS that I absolutely loved. I think I will look for a 9Y0 Cayenne S.
Wait until the end of the month and see where they are at with it. PNH has sold some solid vehicles on the GT car side, so they know what they have, as most dealers do. With the TX weather events happening, they might be willing to deal more in a 2 weeks.
How old is the GLE, because that's probably depreciating less than the Turbo at this time.

Quick Reply: High Mileage Cayenne Turbo