Sponsored by:

BRAND NEW 911 NEEDS NEW FUEL INJECTOR

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 06:43 PM
Laineyp
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Angry BRAND NEW 911 NEEDS NEW FUEL INJECTOR

Finally bought the car I've been wanting, and then - in less than 24 hours, with 12 miles on the odometer, I'm greeted with "Reduced engine power" as I start her up for our maiden drive. Service Dept tells me I need a new fuel injector. The joy of purchasing my car has vanished. Replaced with worries that I've spent a lot of money for possibly a lemon.
Any thoughts on the matter, no big thing just get it fixed? You'd be concerned...? What would you do?

Last edited by Laineyp; 06-28-2024 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-28-2024, 06:55 PM
Mike818
Rennlist Member

Received 337 Likes on 181 Posts

I would probably clear the code and keep driving it and see what happens. Maybe throw some fuel injector cleaner into the tank.
If it keeps throwing the code then I would let them at it.

Last edited by Mike818; 06-28-2024 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-28-2024, 07:06 PM
freesole
Instructor

Received 161 Likes on 63 Posts

That's unfortunate, sorry to hear that. I had just picked up my 992 and installed the Cargraphic Valve Controller at a shop. I got the Reduced Engine Power alert as well but turned out that it was the valve controller causing the issue. Once removed, the alert went away and the codes were indeed related to valves.
Old 06-28-2024, 07:11 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 420 Likes on 251 Posts

Stay calm. Be patient. There are always mechanical problems, here or there, with cars.

Is your car still under warranty?

EDIT:

I see you mentioned you have 12 miles on the odometer. I guess I should read that as 12 miles TOTAL, so this is a new car.

Last edited by PSPorsche; 06-28-2024 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-28-2024, 07:12 PM
sk911
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Laineyp
Finally bought the car I've been wanting, and then - in less than 24 hours, with 12 miles on the odometer, I'm greeted with "Reduced engine power" as I start her up for our maiden drive. Service Dept tells me I need a new fuel injector. The joy of purchasing my car has vanished. Replaced with worries that I've spent a lot of money for possibly a lemon.
Any thoughts on the matter, no big thing just get it fixed? You'd be concerned...? What would you do?
Discussed previously....scroll down to post #9
Reduced Engine Power error message - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
There is an existing TSB for this issue....the dealer will be able to pull the trouble codes and apply remedy.
I believe for TSB #2236 the remedy has been replacing all fuel injectors and associated harness.

Although it sucks that this happened...its fixable and I would not be concerned at this point...now if it continues to occur after the fix...now that's a different story.

Last edited by sk911; 06-28-2024 at 07:20 PM.
Old 06-28-2024, 07:14 PM
Laineyp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PSPorsche
Stay calm. Be patient. There are always mechanical problems, here or there, with cars.

Is your car still under warranty?

EDIT:

I see you mentioned you have 12 miles on the odometer. I guess I should read that as 12 miles TOTAL, so this is a new car.
Yes, new 2024. I had it overnight, they'll have it now 5 days. Part comes in on Monday they want til Wednesday to check out the car.
Old 06-28-2024, 07:15 PM
shrimp money
Race Car

Received 5,067 Likes on 2,030 Posts

Dude losing it because of a bad fuel injector.

LEMON LAW MY CAR NOW!
The following 5 users liked this post by shrimp money:
Angryinch (06-29-2024), detansinn (06-29-2024), doug_999 (06-30-2024), M3Inline6 (06-29-2024), Tedster (07-01-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 07:15 PM
PSPorsche
Pro

Received 420 Likes on 251 Posts

I don’t think this is a big deal and shouldn’t take away from your enjoyment of the car.

Fuel injectors are replaceable. Of course, it is an inconvenience to you. Let them fix it, stay calm and have patience, and you will be enjoying your new car before you know it.
The following users liked this post:
Laineyp (06-29-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 08:09 PM
Icegrill
Burning Brakes

Received 912 Likes on 434 Posts

Stay calm, maybe have a donut or a piece of pie to cheer yourself up.

Last edited by Icegrill; 06-28-2024 at 08:15 PM.
Old 06-28-2024, 08:18 PM
DrKarlB
Instructor

Received 127 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Laineyp
Its a lemon if it meets the following.
Under the Lemon Law, the manufacturer may be required to buy back or replace your vehicle if, after a “reasonable” number of repair attempts, it cannot repair a problem that:
  • Is covered by the manufacturer’s new-vehicle warranty;
  • Substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of the vehicle; and
  • Is not caused by unauthorized or unreasonable use of the vehicle after sale.

What is considered a “reasonable” number of repair attempts depends on many factors. While the following factors are not required, there is a rebuttable presumption that your vehicle is a lemon if:
  • The problem first occurred within 18 months of delivery or 18,000 miles (whichever comes first);
  • If required by the warranty or owner’s manual, you notified the manufacturer about the problem; and
  • You have taken the vehicle in for repair by the manufacturer or its agents:
    • Four or more times for the same problem and it still is not fixed, or
    • Two or more times for the same problem, if that problem is big enough to cause death or serious injury, and it still is not fixed, or
    • The vehicle has been out of service for repair for more than 30 days (the 30 days do not need to be in a row).
Old 06-28-2024, 11:27 PM
dudeoverthere
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by shrimp money
Dude losing it because of a bad fuel injector.

LEMON LAW MY CAR NOW!
No kidding. I would have kept the car and put some miles on it until the part comes in. (Have had injectors on our Honda replaced twice, thing still drove fine) Code will probably clear itself. Have the fuel injector replaced for peace of mind. Sometimes manufacturing goes awry. NBD.
Old 06-29-2024, 03:43 AM
Laineyp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dudeoverthere
No kidding. I would have kept the car and put some miles on it until the part comes in. (Have had injectors on our Honda replaced twice, thing still drove fine) Code will probably clear itself. Have the fuel injector replaced for peace of mind. Sometimes manufacturing goes awry. NBD.
Car could not be continued driven without possibly/probably, considering the way it was running - damaging the engine.
Old 06-29-2024, 03:52 AM
Laineyp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrKarlB
Its a lemon if it meets the following.
Under the Lemon Law, the manufacturer may be required to buy back or replace your vehicle if, after a “reasonable” number of repair attempts, it cannot repair a problem that:
  • Is covered by the manufacturer’s new-vehicle warranty;
  • Substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of the vehicle; and
  • Is not caused by unauthorized or unreasonable use of the vehicle after sale.

What is considered a “reasonable” number of repair attempts depends on many factors. While the following factors are not required, there is a rebuttable presumption that your vehicle is a lemon if:
  • The problem first occurred within 18 months of delivery or 18,000 miles (whichever comes first);
  • If required by the warranty or owner’s manual, you notified the manufacturer about the problem; and
  • You have taken the vehicle in for repair by the manufacturer or its agents:
    • Four or more times for the same problem and it still is not fixed, or
    • Two or more times for the same problem, if that problem is big enough to cause death or serious injury, and it still is not fixed, or
    • The vehicle has been out of service for repair for more than 30 days (the 30 days do not need to be in a row).
Thanks, I checked that out too. .. But, definitely not the ride I signed up to experience.
Old 06-29-2024, 04:05 AM
Laineyp
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sk911
Discussed previously....scroll down to post #9
Reduced Engine Power error message - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
There is an existing TSB for this issue....the dealer will be able to pull the trouble codes and apply remedy.
I believe for TSB #2236 the remedy has been replacing all fuel injectors and associated harness.

Although it sucks that this happened...its fixable and I would not be concerned at this point...now if it continues to occur after the fix...now that's a different story.
It's the "now if it continues..." part that cause my anxiety to kick in.

Last edited by Laineyp; 06-29-2024 at 04:10 AM.
Old 06-29-2024, 08:32 AM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 8,100 Likes on 2,995 Posts

It's a machine. There's no such thing as perfect. It will get fixed and you should enjoy it.
The following 2 users liked this post by detansinn:
doug_999 (06-30-2024), Guzzgreg (06-30-2024)

Quick Reply: BRAND NEW 911 NEEDS NEW FUEL INJECTOR