click/clunk in steering

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2024, 07:36 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default click/clunk in steering

My 23 TGT has developed a click/clunk in the steering mechanism. It seems to only occur at low speed manoeuvres requiring lots of steering lock and some driver effort. I can feel it in the wheel and can also hear it - it sounds like it might be coming from under the dash but not certain. A search here has been inconclusive. Any thoughts?
Old 06-28-2024, 09:40 AM
Woofman
Burning Brakes

Received 543 Likes on 334 Posts

Pure speculation: It might be something to so with the spline like and u-joint like parts that allow for tilt and telescope. Does changing the tilt/telescope position of the steering wheel make any difference?

Some vehicles emit clicking sounds as the clock spring spiral cable winds and unwinds as the steering wheel is turned but it's usually not loud.
Old 06-28-2024, 09:48 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Good thought on the tilt/telescope; will try changing that to see that happens.

It feels more substantial than something like the clock spring and only happens when I apply more force to the wheel such as when parking; it does make me think about play somewhere in the column.
Old 06-29-2024, 09:29 AM
JSchilberg
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

See if it might be a "sticking" suspension strut. My Explorer and Flex both exhibited that sort of popping sound when rolling very slowly and steering the wheel. In those vehicles, the top of the strut tower was visible under the hood and you could actually see the top snapping instead of turning smoothly.

Quick Reply: click/clunk in steering