Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

E-Hybrid, upgrade onboard charger?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 05:39 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts
Default E-Hybrid, upgrade onboard charger?

Hi all,

I have a Cayenne E-Hybrid with 3.6kW onboard charger. Is there any way to upgrade/retrofit to the 7.2kW charger?
Old 06-24-2024, 12:06 AM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
Hi all,

I have a Cayenne E-Hybrid with 3.6kW onboard charger. Is there any way to upgrade/retrofit to the 7.2kW charger?
unlikely - there is no procedure documented for the service tech's in North America to swap 3.6 for 7.2kW charger - it is of course possible, but it's unclear what the process or cost would be - only your dealer or an adventurous local independent shop would be able to help you.

if it is possible is very very likley to be NOT cost effective…
Old 06-24-2024, 01:50 PM
txbdan
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

Yeah, that's what I figured. I've retrofitted PSE and X73 on a cayman before, but they come as comprehensive kits from Porsche.

That said, glancing through the parts catalog, it seems that only the charger and the socket w/ cable are listed as different between the 3.6kW and 7.2kW versions. Seemingly no difference in the battery or anything else.

Not really a system I want to mess around with, though.

Last edited by txbdan; 06-24-2024 at 02:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2024, 05:18 PM
daveo4porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 3,952 Likes on 1,924 Posts

Originally Posted by txbdan
Yeah, that's what I figured. I've retrofitted PSE and X73 on a cayman before, but they come as comprehensive kits from Porsche.

That said, glancing through the parts catalog, it seems that only the charger and the socket w/ cable are listed as different between the 3.6kW and 7.2kW versions. Seemingly no difference in the battery or anything else.

Not really a system I want to mess around with, though.
it could be just a swap - charger i believe is drivers side rear quarter panel cavity - battery shouldn’t care

im less worried about it functioning (it will probably “just work”) vs porsche using it as an excuse to decline any warranty issues on the 8 year/100k battery warranty claim
Old 06-29-2024, 01:02 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 850 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by daveo4porsche
it could be just a swap - charger i believe is drivers side rear quarter panel cavity - battery shouldn’t care

im less worried about it functioning (it will probably “just work”) vs porsche using it as an excuse to decline any warranty issues on the 8 year/100k battery warranty claim
Also probably you're dealing with electrical charge system and electronics to include various handshakes to allow charging between the car and whatever electronic brain is doing so and the charging unit. If you see how many problems EVs of various manufacters have sometimes with that part I doubt its likely a simple plug swap and numberous things can go wrong and go left as the car thinks its getting power X and is dialed to accept it but suddenly gets Y and the ECU and charging components are set for something specific by Porsche.

Last thing I'd want to mess around is electronics and Porsche! LOL. Best thing I can say is trade the car IF the faster charger system is most important! Otherwise the difference between charging in the two the 3.6kW and 7.2kW versions should not be much or that significant.

Quick Reply: E-Hybrid, upgrade onboard charger?