Sponsored by:

Battery dead, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2024, 05:15 AM
oumizx
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery dead, need help

Hi I left my key in the 991 for a night, second day when I came back the battery is dead.
I tried several things. Purchased a CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 and a cig plug.
Amazon Amazon
Amazon Amazon

But when I connect the charger to power and plug in cig, there's no indicator lights(does not mean charge does not work?). I also tried to open the car hood by connect positive and ground wire. I tried press the button on car or use the key fob, neither of them works.
Any suggestion here? Thanks!

Last edited by oumizx; 06-26-2024 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-26-2024, 06:09 AM
99-911
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

you need to connect the CTEK cig plug to either the 12v socket in the passenger footwell or under the armrest. once it's connected right you will choose the mode (car logo).
you can't open the frunk by connecting a battery maintainer & if I'm not mistaken the black alligator clip is on plastic not metal so the circuit is not closed.
The following 2 users liked this post by 99-911:
oumizx (06-26-2024), shammerman (06-27-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:00 AM
Porsche_nuts
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,181 Likes on 709 Posts

Also there is a frunk cable release under the driver side front wheel. You may have to remove the wheel and the wheel well cover to get to it.
The following users liked this post:
oumizx (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:01 AM
oumizx
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 99-911
you need to connect the CTEK cig plug to either the 12v socket in the passenger footwell or under the armrest. once it's connected right you will choose the mode (car logo).
you can't open the frunk by connecting a battery maintainer & if I'm not mistaken the black alligator clip is on plastic not metal so the circuit is not closed.
Thank you for the reply.
Tried both 12v socket in the passenger footwell or under the armrest neither worked. I think I need to get a jump starter.
Old 06-26-2024, 07:06 AM
Tier1Terrier
Rennlist Member

Received 921 Likes on 459 Posts

I don't believe you can use a trickle charger on that connector in the fuse panel. The amperage is too low. You'll need an actual battery charger / engine starter OR portable jumper like shown below OR you could connect jumper cables to another nearby car battery.

Something like this...

or

You can see at about 2:45 in this video where the above device was used to do what you're trying to do.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tier1Terrier:
Explorer16 (06-26-2024), oumizx (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 07:09 AM
oumizx
8th Gear

Originally Posted by Tier1Terrier
I don't believe you can use a trickle charger on that connector in the fuse panel. The amperage is too low. You'll need an actual battery charger / engine starter OR portable jumper like shown below OR you could connect jumper cables to another nearby car battery.

Something like this...

or

You can see at about 2:45 in this video where the above device was used to do what you're trying to do.

https://youtu.be/C2q4x46yCdE
Just ordered one
Amazon Amazon
Thank you!
Old 06-26-2024, 08:09 AM
kuma1416
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Once you get it started, you might also want to take it to the dealer and figure out why the battery died. Assuming the battery is not too old leaving the key in the car overnight should not drain the battery. I have left my key in the car for six years when I’m not driving it- no issues.
Old 06-26-2024, 08:36 AM
99-911
Instructor

Originally Posted by oumizx
Thank you for the reply.
Tried both 12v socket in the passenger footwell or under the armrest neither worked. I think I need to get a jump starter.
did you use the red piece on the cig plug?
depending on the socket type, you may need that red cap on the cig plug, although some other sockets don't work with that cap, so try once with & once without.
Old 06-26-2024, 12:17 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Hi I left my key in the 991 for a night, second day when I came back the battery is dead.
I tried several things. Purchased a CTEK - 40-206 MXS 5.0 and a cig plug.

But when I connect the charger to power and plug in cig, there's no indicator lights (does not mean charge does not work?).
That is the problem with the VAST MAJORITY of cheap battery chargers. Most of them do not work unless you have a MINIMUM battery voltage present. I know this from testing plenty of battery chargers in the lab I used to work in.

I also tried to open the car hood by connect positive and ground wire. I tried press the button on car or use the key fob, neither of them works.
Also, battery chargers are not DC power supplies. To open the hood, you need a charged spare battery and some cables.

It is worth buying a quality battery charger/maintainer like a SOLAR PRO-LOGIX PL2320. I got mine on Amazon.

Manufacturer's web site: SOLAR PRO-LOGIX PL2320
  • Six- and 12-volt battery charging
  • 20/10/2A charge rates
  • 20A fast charge rate is ideal for charging large batteries
  • 0-20A power supply mode to maintain vehicle voltage
  • Fully automatic operation
  • Advanced multi-phase charging process
  • Properly charges all battery types
  • Able to charge even zero volts (totally dead) batteries
  • Soft Start Mode for severely depleted batteries
  • Recondition Mode rejuvenates distressed batteries
  • Enhanced maintenance mode for ideal long-term storage
  • Temperature compensation for more effective charging
  • Reverse polarity protection and battery fault detection
  • Data-rich display provides detailed feedback during charging

The following users liked this post:
SilverSFR (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 05:34 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 82 Posts

The part in the door jamb you have the black negative clamp on is plastic, not metal, isn't it? Hook it somewhere else - on a bolt or something. Even then tough sometimes to get the good ground.
Old 06-26-2024, 08:24 PM
oumizx
8th Gear

For the reason why the battery drained so quickly, I think it's because I installed a carplay radio. The night when I was using my phone watching youtube videos I found my phone suddenly has no sound and it connected to the car's carplay... The funny thing is that I did not realize I keep the key in car that kept the radio active.

I finally managed to use the new jumper to open the frunk. Tried to connect the positive and ground wire to charge the battery, but based on the indication light of the charger, it does not work. Am I doing something wrong for the connection? Attached the pictures.

Picture1 and picture 2 connection ways did not work. Picture 3 is the charger indication light.
Old 06-26-2024, 09:30 PM
oumizx
8th Gear

Found the date of the battery is 2019 June. Also searched the forum should replace the battery for 5 years. So current shopping for new battery.
Old 06-26-2024, 10:50 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,029 Likes on 620 Posts

Found the date of the battery is 2019 June. Also searched the forum should replace the battery for 5 years. So current shopping for new battery.
Yeah, 5 years is probably due, unless you keep the battery on the CTEK when parked for more that 48 hours.
Old 06-26-2024, 11:10 PM
oumizx
8th Gear

Originally Posted by bkrantz
Yeah, 5 years is probably due, unless you keep the battery on the CTEK when parked for more that 48 hours.
There's no progress indication light on CTEK. So I assume the charging does not even start.
Old 06-27-2024, 12:30 AM
99-911
Instructor

I finally managed to use the new jumper to open the frunk. Tried to connect the positive and ground wire to charge the battery, but based on the indication light of the charger, it does not work. Am I doing something wrong for the connection? Attached the pictures.

Picture1 and picture 2 connection ways did not work. Picture 3 is the charger indication light.
I don't recall a mode where 3 lights are On. Try switching the mode using mode button to either car alone or AGM alone.
my experience with CTEK chargers is that they will show battery status once connected, otherwise red error light will be on.
in your photos the charger is connected to mains so it's On (green light) but it seem that it's still not "seeing" the battery for some reason.

Quick Reply: Battery dead, need help