Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Joyeauto + backup camera + parking sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 07:30 PM
rock-rf
AutoX

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Joyeauto + backup camera + parking sensors

Does anyone have experience with the park assist sensors and an aftermarket backup camera?

I've got a Joyeauto unit hooked up with a backup camera, and the video feed comes up properly with the reverse trigger, but the nice overhead parking sensor overlay doesn't show up. Any thoughts? I'm wondering if this is not possible since I have a manual car, but haven't been able to find anything definitive. Thanks!
Old 06-23-2024, 09:41 PM
anderson930
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have an answer for you but may be following suit so will be following this thread. Are your parking sensors OEM/ came with the car, or are they aftermarket? More questions to follow if they're aftermarket!
Old 06-23-2024, 10:48 PM
rock-rf
AutoX

Originally Posted by anderson930
I don't have an answer for you but may be following suit so will be following this thread. Are your parking sensors OEM/ came with the car, or are they aftermarket? More questions to follow if they're aftermarket!
I've got the OEM parking sensors, and they came with the car from the factory. Not too sure on the feasibility of aftermarket ones!

The sensor display pops up on the normal PCM (stock operation), but the Joyeauto doesn't seem to detect this. Wondering if there's a setting I need to mess with...
The following users liked this post:
anderson930 (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 11:06 AM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 64 Posts

I would check some more in your settings. I added a backup camera to my car a few years ago. I have the OEM rear sensors and they worked fine on my manual car. I have recently changed to an android unit with a Canbus adaptor to keep many of the factory items working that run through the old PCM3.1. I have run into a few other items with the backup camera that people with the PDK didn't have, like tapping into the backup lights, but the parking sensor overlay on the screen when backing up was not one of those issues that I had to do anything with. I know we are talking apples and oranges with our different head units, but I thought I would chime in with my sensor and manual transmission experience.
Old 06-25-2024, 01:08 PM
Tango30
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm gonna jump on this post with little to help, but a question for you if I may!

Have just done the same as you, joyeauto on a manual with parking sensors, but have removed my rear sensors in favour of a diffuser (hence the need for a camera!)

At present the camera is non functional and I have tried to read every damn post that could help and going round in circles. Can you describe your wiring for me? At present I have the orange wire from joyeauto onto the red trigger wire, then the 12v red to the blue/black reverse light wire and black to a brown earth. Similar to you?

If I can get it working, I'll see what the sensors do as well
Old 06-25-2024, 02:05 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

@Tango30 I'm not sure about the Joyauto, but most of those type systems are set to show the backup camera when the camera is powered on. Generally, you would just have to hook up the blue/black reverse light wire to the red wire that feeds the camera. Then when your reverse lights power on, it powers your camera and then it will show on your screen. Black to Brown is correct. Not sure what your orange wire is for, I don't have the wiring diagram for your unit. If you can post those saying what the wires are, then I can probably walk you through it if the above doesn't work.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:16 PM
rock-rf
AutoX

Originally Posted by boxdriver
I would check some more in your settings. I added a backup camera to my car a few years ago. I have the OEM rear sensors and they worked fine on my manual car. I have recently changed to an android unit with a Canbus adaptor to keep many of the factory items working that run through the old PCM3.1. I have run into a few other items with the backup camera that people with the PDK didn't have, like tapping into the backup lights, but the parking sensor overlay on the screen when backing up was not one of those issues that I had to do anything with. I know we are talking apples and oranges with our different head units, but I thought I would chime in with my sensor and manual transmission experience.
Thanks for the ideas! I did some digging around earlier and couldn't find anything relevant in any of the Joyeauto settings menus.

Currently I'm guessing that this is a limitation of the Joyeauto unit in general, but I haven't been able to find any concrete evidence confirming this. Also, not sure if this is a limitation of the Joyeauto + manual car combo, or just the Joyeauto for PCM3.1 in general.
Old 06-25-2024, 03:41 PM
rock-rf
AutoX

Originally Posted by Tango30
I'm gonna jump on this post with little to help, but a question for you if I may!

Have just done the same as you, joyeauto on a manual with parking sensors, but have removed my rear sensors in favour of a diffuser (hence the need for a camera!)

At present the camera is non functional and I have tried to read every damn post that could help and going round in circles. Can you describe your wiring for me? At present I have the orange wire from joyeauto onto the red trigger wire, then the 12v red to the blue/black reverse light wire and black to a brown earth. Similar to you?

If I can get it working, I'll see what the sensors do as well
Happy to explain how I have it set up! For reference, I have
this NATIKA reverse camera this NATIKA reverse camera

Yellow camera video connector --> Joyeauto yellow connector RREAR_VIN
Red camera trigger wire (attached to video connector) --> Joyeauto orange wire REAR_C
Red camera power wire (at camera end of cables) --> 12V power source trigger, blue/black reverse light wire in trunk
Black camera ground wire (at camera end of cables) --> taped off, not connected to anything

Also - need to set dip switch #4 to ON (up) on the rear side of the Joyeauto box. This is the only switch I have on.

If you've got the same exact setup and it's not working, it's worth testing to see if the camera will trigger with a different 12V power source to check if your wire tap connection is bad (or could confirm with a multimeter if you have that). I tested mine by touching the red camera power wire to a fuse tap I had in the passenger fuse box, and the display switches to the rear camera when it contacts.

This is the Joyeauto guide I found online:

Old 06-25-2024, 04:18 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Looks like you two aren't the only ones who ran into these two issues. Not that this tread helps you but thought you might be interested in seeing it.
Weird front and rear sensor and. - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

This Thread has some theories on the backup sensor graphic and manual transmissions.
CarPlay install report - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
This is one answer someone got:
"​​​​​​​3. The distance display from the ultrasonic sensors does not appear, either going forward, or when the backup camera is up. They said this is because my car is manual and the “signals are not put onto the Canbus like they are in the automatic cars”. All I know is that it used to appear, and now it doesn’t. The audio signal is still present, you just don’t know where it is coming from. I don’t know if this is a limitation just with the ZZ2 system or if the NM would have the same problem.

If I am out of CarPlay mode AND trigger the audible alert, I can come out of reverse (turning off the backup camera) and see usual display of the alerts on the PCM, and sometimes it comes up if I’m moving forward IF I am out of CarPlay mode."

Others dispute this claim. Some theorize that it might be a difference between having the Bose or Bum unit vs. the standard speaker systems.

It is probably worth posting the question on the sensors overlay on the 991 forums page, as they have the same systems and the 981. I found a lot of my radio info there as they have more followers.

Old 06-26-2024, 06:53 AM
Tango30
Cruisin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rock-rf
Happy to explain how I have it set up! For reference, I have this NATIKA reverse camera.

Many thanks for this, it has helped. Back out again this morning and checked connections with a multimeter and all good.

But I missed the dip switch... I thought this was controlling the lines rather than the image, but once flipped the screen now changes to the camera. The only issue is it's a screen of slowly moving static. Nothing discernable, although there clearly is input from the lense as covering the camera changes the shadowing within the static.

More searching to be done, but I'm wondering if it's a duff camera (ordered from joyeauto to try and avoid compatibility issues)

This whole job is not technically difficult, but it is a complete pain in the backside to complete!

Last edited by Tango30; 06-26-2024 at 06:54 AM.
Old 06-27-2024, 11:11 AM
ElCid86
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I have JoyeAuto in my 2014 981C w/ PDK and do get the parking lines when reversing (and with forward camera). I don't know why it would not work with a manual tranny.
Old 06-27-2024, 01:31 PM
Last_935
Rennlist Member

Received 322 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by ElCid86
I have JoyeAuto in my 2014 981C w/ PDK and do get the parking lines when reversing (and with forward camera). I don't know why it would not work with a manual tranny.
My understanding from when I installed a JoyeAuto unit and cameras in my 981 GT4 was that the factory parking lines work with PDK models but not with manuals. The cameras I used, had the option of displaying static (not dynamic) parking lines. Below is an image from my front camera.

Old 06-27-2024, 03:45 PM
rock-rf
AutoX

This is what I've been reading as well. I'm wondering if that is the same reason that the manual also does not show any of the parking sensor info, but I'm not positive if the automatic also does not have that parking sensor overlay with the Joyeauto box.
The following users liked this post:
ElCid86 (06-28-2024)
Old 06-28-2024, 10:49 AM
ElCid86
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rock-rf
This is what I've been reading as well. I'm wondering if that is the same reason that the manual also does not show any of the parking sensor info, but I'm not positive if the automatic also does not have that parking sensor overlay with the Joyeauto box.
I do get the yellow/red warning "lights" and beeping from my backup/reverse sensors via mine.
Old 06-30-2024, 12:13 AM
rock-rf
AutoX

Originally Posted by ElCid86
I do get the yellow/red warning "lights" and beeping from my backup/reverse sensors via mine.
Awesome, thanks for confirming.

So it seems like unless I'm somehow missing a setting somewhere, something about the manual + joyeauto combo doesn't provide the same info as the PDK.
The following 2 users liked this post by rock-rf:
ElCid86 (07-01-2024), Last_935 (06-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Joyeauto + backup camera + parking sensors