ABS Light On/Brake Distribution Warning

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 04:31 AM
996dailytw
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ABS Light On/Brake Distribution Warning

Hello friends,
Sorry if I did not find the same thread in this forum.
My 996.2 Carrera recently has the ABS Light on along with the Brake Distribution Warning right from start-up. Can anyone enlighten me on what might be the cause and the solutions? I am taking it to a shop soon but I would like to first do some research myself.

Thanks ahead for your suggestions
Old 06-19-2024, 09:31 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 661 Posts

Codes? Autozone will read them for you as will other parts stores. They won't get Porsche-specific stuff but it would be better than expecting folks to guess.
Old 07-02-2024, 03:10 AM
996dailytw
5th Gear

Originally Posted by wdb
Codes? Autozone will read them for you as will other parts stores. They won't get Porsche-specific stuff but it would be better than expecting folks to guess.
Hey WDB,
I went to a Porsche Center and the faulty code came out as "4266". They suggest I replace the ABS pump which is quite expensive.
I am not technical expert of the 996 so just speculating: My front right wheel speed sensor was rewired some time ago. Could this be the reason for this fault? Could the sensor be wired incorrectly which caused the ABS to fail?

Thanks again!
Old 07-02-2024, 10:23 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by 996dailytw
Hey WDB,
I am not technical expert of the 996 so just speculating: My front right wheel speed sensor was rewired some time ago. Could this be the reason for this fault?
IMHO, yes, it could be the ABS speed sensors on the wheels. Personally, if something has been tampered with and you get a DTC, then it is highly suspect in my book. I'd replace and clear the code, then monitor it closely.

I would also advice checking the fluid level. If you replaced with fresh speed sensors and the DTC comes back, then I would make plans to replace the return pump.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:35 AM
996dailytw
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
IMHO, yes, it could be the ABS speed sensors on the wheels. Personally, if something has been tampered with and you get a DTC, then it is highly suspect in my book. I'd replace and clear the code, then monitor it closely.

I would also advise checking the fluid level. If you replaced with fresh speed sensors and the DTC comes back, then I would make plans to replace the return pump.
thanks!
Could it also be air in the brake system? The air came into the ABS PUMP causing it to fail? I am also thinking about flush the brake system to see if this can fix the issue. Please correct me if my understanding is far off.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:51 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,845 Likes on 1,010 Posts

Originally Posted by 996dailytw
thanks!
Could it also be air in the brake system? The air came into the ABS PUMP causing it to fail? I am also thinking about flush the brake system to see if this can fix the issue. Please correct me if my understanding is far off.
IMHO, no harm with flushing the system and purging the system of any air bubbles. I'm no 'expert' in these systems, but I would think air bubbles could cause a fault. Air bubbles are bad news with any hydraulic system. I've just fought this battle while flushing my brakes. Kept getting air in the lines and losing braking. No fun! Scary to say the least. Ended up being a bad master cylinder.

Anyway, flush the system and see how it goes. I would still replace the sensor that was rewired.
Old 07-02-2024, 11:01 AM
996dailytw
5th Gear

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus
IMHO, no harm with flushing the system and purging the system of any air bubbles. I'm no 'expert' in these systems, but I would think air bubbles could cause a fault. Air bubbles are bad news with any hydraulic system. I've just fought this battle while flushing my brakes. Kept getting air in the lines and losing braking. No fun! Scary to say the least. Ended up being a bad master cylinder.

Anyway, flush the system and see how it goes. I would still replace the sensor that was rewired.
hey thanks for the quick response! Yeah I am planning to tackle this issue with both 1)the speed sensor and 2)flushing the brake and get a new set of stainless steel brake lines. If both approaches don’t solve the issue then I will start working on the Pump. At least I will get a the sensor fixed and updated brake lines

thanks again! I will keep you posted~
Old 07-02-2024, 11:40 AM
hardtailer
Pro

Received 313 Likes on 213 Posts

1. Disconnect all 3 non-manipulated wheel speed sensors and leave the manipulated sensor connected.

2. Start engine, observe the lights in your picture to switch off.

3. Drive away.

2 possible results are

A. The above lights stay off --> your manipulated sensor is not providing a valid signal.

B. Above mentioned lights illuminate as soon as speed reaches 4-6 mph --> manipulated sensor is providing a valid signal.

Result B is not as dependable as A and therefore would require further testing.

Air won't harm the ABS pump or the valves inside the hydraulic unit for that matter.
Brake lines donot play a role in this but if you must, fit them first before bleeding. Otherwise you'll do it twice...

Last edited by hardtailer; 07-02-2024 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-02-2024, 10:16 PM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,783 Likes on 1,135 Posts

I think 4266 is the "return pump". This happens because a wire inside the ABS module comes apart. In the USA a company called Module Master can fix this for a couple hundred USD.
Old 07-03-2024, 11:05 AM
wdb
Rennlist Member

Received 1,215 Likes on 661 Posts

I've used Module Masters. Recommended.

Quick Reply: ABS Light On/Brake Distribution Warning