Sponsored by:

Door card trim

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2024, 07:30 PM
Schulr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Door card trim

The plastic trim piecee around the window switches is worn from what looks like finger nail scratches. There are a number of threads on now to replace the trim piece but I'd rather hold off on this assuming at some point ill have to replace the window regulator, already did this for t(e rear window. So my question, has anyone used a plastic filler or something equivalent and then a respray by taping off the necessary areas? It seems like this could work. Any feedback would be appreciated

Bob

Old 05-19-2024, 07:33 PM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 66 Posts

in my experience, since the paint is unique there’s really no touch up solution - and if you’re going to spray the whole thing the proper way to make sure it doesn’t scratch very easily would be to sand, prime, a couple coats and a clear coat with enough time for everything off gas so your whole car doesn’t smell like fumes. SEP has high quality interior paints
Old 05-20-2024, 08:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,317 Likes on 4,027 Posts

Since your interior is black, if you use Easy Off oven cleaner, it will remove the soft-touch surface coating from that part and leave the hard black plastic underneath, which may look fine - the defects on yours are probably limited to the soft touch coating. It looks like a woman with long nails owned or drove that car as the leather just above that piece is pretty scratched up too. I'm not sure what the oven cleaner is going to do if it gets on the leather.
Old 05-20-2024, 10:11 AM
Jonny-Nine11
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it to a good wrap shop. I did all of the silver around my seats and you cannot tell it has been wrapped.
Old 05-20-2024, 06:51 PM
Schulr
Advanced

Default Door card trim

The oven cleaner option is interesting but thought I’d start with alcohol which really good. The question now is what color does Porsche use for interior trim? I’d like to see if I can paint the area first and see how that comes out. My interior is black/stone gray but the black is likely different for plastic trim.
Old 05-20-2024, 09:59 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 91 Posts

Sem Brand satin black trim paint is awfully close. I did my wife’s Boxster’s sills a bit ago and they are holding up quite well. If I were rich and had the inclination I would cover in leather
Old 05-20-2024, 10:16 PM
Schulr
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kuhl997.2!
Sem Brand satin black trim paint is awfully close. I did my wife’s Boxster’s sills a bit ago and they are holding up quite well. If I were rich and had the inclination I wouldit in leather
Thanks, this helps a lot. If I ever end up removing the door card in the future, I’ll likely cover it in leather

​​​​​​​Bob
Old 05-21-2024, 02:06 AM
TobyW
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Taking the door cards off is actually quite easy to do, so if the scratches bother you I would not wait until the window regulator goes bad.
The following users liked this post:
TerrestrialFlyte (05-21-2024)
Old 05-21-2024, 01:22 PM
speedracerf4i
Pro

Received 172 Likes on 104 Posts

I would recommend to replace it with leather wrapped bezel as well, so you'd only have to do it once. Note that you should replace the trim with a new part, as the old part is plastic welded onto the door card and it will get mangled once taken off. Here is what mine, from exclusive options, looks like.

Last edited by speedracerf4i; 05-21-2024 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-22-2024, 06:27 PM
Schulr
Advanced

Originally Posted by speedracerf4i
I would recommend to replace it with leather wrapped bezel as well, so you'd only have to do it once. Note that you should replace the trim with a new part, as the old part is plastic welded onto the door card and it will get mangled once taken off. Here is what mine, from exclusive options, looks like.

That looks really nice, do you have a picture of the backside showing how you attached and where did you secure the leather cover?

Thanks

Bob
Old 05-22-2024, 08:28 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 450 Likes on 286 Posts

Why not just take the finish off- looks like it is working well and then apply some of that semi permanent "back to black" stuff, you know the stuff people use for the cowl and outside black trim pieces, for now anyway.

Quick Reply: Door card trim