Sponsored by:

992C4S to 718 BGTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 03:52 PM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 409 Posts
Default 992C4S to 718 BGTS

I'm looking for people who went from a 992 to a 718BGTS or vice versa and your thoughts on both cars.

Back story:
I'm a month out from my 718BGTS arriving and suddenly thinking "Maybe I should just trade the 992 in when the 718 arrives". The original plan was to keep it, but parking space is at a premium here and I don't put that many miles on my 992 - so will be even less with the 718 around. The original concept of the 992 C4S was to daily it here in Chicago - I made it one winter. The biggest issue was the size of the car and/or the practicality on a daily basis. So with the 718, just like the 992 now, I would be driving it on nicer days here in the spring/summer/fall and putting it to sleep during the winter.

And yes, I'm posting this in the 992 section - I get that, but like I said, I'm looking for people who have made the switch between the two cars and/or have both. I've already talked to one member who got rid of his 992 after a year.

Last edited by doug_999; 05-08-2024 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-08-2024, 05:27 PM
detansinn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 7,792 Likes on 2,901 Posts

Your C4S will not worth more than it is now. Trade it in. You can always get another one down the road.
The following users liked this post:
alaris (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 06:40 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 949 Likes on 543 Posts

I had 992 C4S and 718 Spyder
I will say the 992 is a better overall car other than the BGTS is convertible , so this might be a factor
911 platform is much more refined, mature and modern
718 basically feels dated. It is a very nice car but not a 911
Old 05-08-2024, 06:46 PM
M2to992C2S
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts

I had a 992 C2S coupe and then got a BGTS 4.0. I really love the boxster, but also have decided to order a 992 GTS cab, which is due this summer. I think both cars are special and you could justify keeping both. I sold my 992 while awaiting arrival of my incoming Cab because I think prices will drop more.

Now that I have lived with only the boxster for a couple months, things I miss about the 992:
1. Rear axle steering- might not apply to you and as time has gone by I miss it less, but it was a noticeable change not having it at first
2. turbo powered engine definitely puts down more power.:. But I love the 4.0– it’s special
3. grip— 911 has more grip out of corners and from a stop. But maybe the boxster feels more playful because it gets loose easier.
4. Back seats are nice for my small kids and for storage. I don’t agree with those that feel the frunk/trunk on the boxster is more practical than a 911.
5. it’s a 911!!! The day I sold my 992 I went to deposit the check and parked outside the bank in my boxster. I came back out with a 992 parked next to me…at that moment I already missed the 911! if I could only have one, I’d pick the 992.

im planning on keeping the boxster, which is manual and I love it. The 992 I decided to order in PDK after test driving one (my C2s was manual). There will likely be days I wish I had the manual, but I couldn’t justify two manual cars in the garage… but maybe I can justify a manual BGTS and a PDK 992 GTS long term.

if you are open to keeping both for a period of time, I’d recommend that. Then you can feel good if you decide to get rid of one.
doug_999 (05-09-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 10:36 PM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,634 Likes on 925 Posts

Originally Posted by M2to992C2S

if you are open to keeping both for a period of time, I’d recommend that. Then you can feel good if you decide to get rid of one.
Only if your state doesn't have a tax credit for trade in.

Tough spot to be in. GL
Old 05-08-2024, 10:52 PM
suffer
Instructor

Received 164 Likes on 83 Posts

If you already weren’t driving the 911, why did you buy a 718? W
Old 05-08-2024, 11:15 PM
Brad Stinson
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 46 Posts

If I were in your shoes, and I just wanted to add a car and money/trade tax was not a factor - I’d back out of the 718 BGTS and look for GT4/Spyder car as that weekend only, very special car. Keeping a 992 and a 718 BGTS doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, because I’d just drive the 992 if I had the choice between the two (however I’m not into convertibles). Don’t get me wrong, the 4.0NA is awesome, but a tuned 992 with minimal exhaust work sounds good enough and feels WAY faster, modern, more refined while being faster around a track.
Old 05-08-2024, 11:27 PM
rob.james.arias
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
I'm looking for people who went from a 992 to a 718BGTS or vice versa and your thoughts on both cars.

Back story:
I'm a month out from my 718BGTS arriving and suddenly thinking "Maybe I should just trade the 992 in when the 718 arrives". The original plan was to keep it, but parking space is at a premium here and I don't put that many miles on my 992 - so will be even less with the 718 around. The original concept of the 992 C4S was to daily it here in Chicago - I made it one winter. The biggest issue was the size of the car and/or the practicality on a daily basis. So with the 718, just like the 992 now, I would be driving it on nicer days here in the spring/summer/fall and putting it to sleep during the winter.

And yes, I'm posting this in the 992 section - I get that, but like I said, I'm looking for people who have made the switch between the two cars and/or have both. I've already talked to one member who got rid of his 992 after a year.

Have owned both, made a point not to read any other comments first to be as unbiased as possible. I won't bore you with a long pro/con list but say that depending on HOW you use the car will determine your overall satisfaction. The 718 is a true sports car, and maybe for the money one of the best options available. Looks are less exciting than other options, and the interior is the same as the 991.1/991.2 or said differently it's just a bit dated. My journey started years ago with a 991.2 C4S, lasted a year and loved it but had an opportunity at an incoming 992 C4s, got it and it actually felt overly refined to me at the time and so I detoured for a while in L product which was absolutely my least favorite vehicle I owned for a whole list of other reasons. In the meantime I found a smoking deal on a 718GTS, and after one drive and hanging the rear end out on every corner I felt like the car was an absolute weapon, and indeed it is. For as much fun as it is to drive, it was somewhat of a chore to drive not like a hooligan. Fast forward I found a 991.1 in a killer spec with the factory aerokit and in black so I took it for a drive and instantly fell in love. The interior was almost identical to the 718 however the 911 felt more grown up, more respectable, a more mature choice with a bit more storage room and only slight compromises in the sports car category while scoring better in everyday use. This particular 911 met an early end with bore scoring and rather than opting to fix I thought to replace and landed back in a 992 C4s, only this time I appreciate the refinements. So in closing if you want a second car to drive spirited in both are fine choices but if driving fun outweighs creature comforts the 718 is the choice. If you want one car that can do both the 992 C4s is the best of all compromises. Would I own a 718 again, probably 😁.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:07 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,041 Likes on 4,876 Posts

My BIL had a 4.0BGTS.

Got to drive it for a weekend.

Compared to a 992 C2S, it felt underpowered, and cramped.

For me, the C2S felt like a pair of bespoke leather wingtips. The 4.0BGTS an off-the-shelf pair of Zegnas.
The following 2 users liked this post by ipse dixit:
cptcolo0 (05-09-2024), vg247 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 02:37 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 4,942 Likes on 1,765 Posts

The only Boxster I owned was around twenty years ago but two years ago I cross shopped a GT4 and a Carrera T. I chose the T.

A lot depends on your user case and your point of reference.
For a Sunday drive car, Boxster is better. NA and more of a toy.

Personally, I'd let the Boxster go and order a T.
While there are similarities, they are miles apart.
The T is more raw and a better Sunday drive car than the C4S and it's a 911.
Old 05-09-2024, 09:35 AM
AdamIsAdam
Rennlist Member

Received 3,868 Likes on 1,669 Posts

I've written about my own opinions extensively here, so feel free to search my comments. But the short version is this:

I bought a 2022 CGTS40. LOVE IT.
I added a 2023 911T. Loved how it looks and the mystique of the 911. Great car. But ultimately, I prefer the mid-engine, smaller car. I sold it after one summer.
I just added a 981 BGTS to compliment the CGTS. I'm all in on the mid-engines.

Oh, and I got a new personalized plate on the CGTS: A K33P3R (My wife doesn't believe I'll keep anything. lol)

Last edited by AdamIsAdam; 05-09-2024 at 09:39 AM.
subwoofer (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 10:59 AM
doug_999
Rennlist Member

Received 802 Likes on 409 Posts

Thanks all for the great feedback. Life is short, so maybe I will keep both for now.

Originally Posted by suffer
If you already weren’t driving the 911, why did you buy a 718? W
I drive it, just not during the winters. When I first put it away for the winter (the 2nd winter I owned it), I was glad to be in the X3. About January, I REALLY started to miss it and could not WAIT to drive it again - so much so, that THIS year (the 3rd winter, I put the snows back on so I could drive it till January and take it out in March from storage. So I love having a Porsche.

Originally Posted by Brad Stinson
If I were in your shoes, and I just wanted to add a car and money/trade tax was not a factor - I’d back out of the 718 BGTS and look for GT4/Spyder car as that weekend only, very special car. Keeping a 992 and a 718 BGTS doesn’t make a lot of sense to me, because I’d just drive the 992 if I had the choice between the two (however I’m not into convertibles). Don’t get me wrong, the 4.0NA is awesome, but a tuned 992 with minimal exhaust work sounds good enough and feels WAY faster, modern, more refined while being faster around a track.
Ugh - no. I researched the Spyder a lot, yuck. That front end always looks like the hood is not closed and that convertible top...the wife is NOT going to go for that malarkey

Old 05-10-2024, 12:32 PM
subwoofer
Rennlist Member

Received 406 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by doug_999
Thanks all for the great feedback. Life is short, so maybe I will keep both for now.

I drive it, just not during the winters. When I first put it away for the winter (the 2nd winter I owned it), I was glad to be in the X3. About January, I REALLY started to miss it and could not WAIT to drive it again - so much so, that THIS year (the 3rd winter, I put the snows back on so I could drive it till January and take it out in March from storage. So I love having a Porsche.

Ugh - no. I researched the Spyder a lot, yuck. That front end always looks like the hood is not closed and that convertible top...the wife is NOT going to go for that malarkey
Sounds familiar. I used to own the previous generation C4S manual that I drove for 5 years including winters in NH. Now I have Boxster 25 only. I prefer the Boxster. To me, it is a lot more fun on backroads than my previous 911. Feels smaller and more nimble. No turbo lag and the 4 liter sounds better with my new aftermarket exhaust. But this is the 992 fourm so you are not going to get an unbiased opinion.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:14 PM
pcar_electric
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rob.james.arias
Have owned both, made a point not to read any other comments first to be as unbiased as possible. I won't bore you with a long pro/con list but say that depending on HOW you use the car will determine your overall satisfaction. The 718 is a true sports car, and maybe for the money one of the best options available. Looks are less exciting than other options, and the interior is the same as the 991.1/991.2 or said differently it's just a bit dated. My journey started years ago with a 991.2 C4S, lasted a year and loved it but had an opportunity at an incoming 992 C4s, got it and it actually felt overly refined to me at the time and so I detoured for a while in L product which was absolutely my least favorite vehicle I owned for a whole list of other reasons. In the meantime I found a smoking deal on a 718GTS, and after one drive and hanging the rear end out on every corner I felt like the car was an absolute weapon, and indeed it is. For as much fun as it is to drive, it was somewhat of a chore to drive not like a hooligan. Fast forward I found a 991.1 in a killer spec with the factory aerokit and in black so I took it for a drive and instantly fell in love. The interior was almost identical to the 718 however the 911 felt more grown up, more respectable, a more mature choice with a bit more storage room and only slight compromises in the sports car category while scoring better in everyday use. This particular 911 met an early end with bore scoring and rather than opting to fix I thought to replace and landed back in a 992 C4s, only this time I appreciate the refinements. So in closing if you want a second car to drive spirited in both are fine choices but if driving fun outweighs creature comforts the 718 is the choice. If you want one car that can do both the 992 C4s is the best of all compromises. Would I own a 718 again, probably 😁.
Great journey!! What an L product?
Old 05-10-2024, 11:44 PM
rob.james.arias
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar_electric
Great journey!! What an L product?
Lamborghini (YUCK).

Quick Reply: 992C4S to 718 BGTS