Notices
991 Turbo 2012-2019 Turbo and Turbo S
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Road Spy

Bilstein Coilover Install on Turbo S Stuck!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 11:46 AM
JimM5
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Bilstein Coilover Install on Turbo S Stuck!!

I bought the B16 Coilover Suspension and was getting it installed, but my installer ran into a snag. Apparently on the front end of the Turbo S with Centerlocks it requires a special tool to remove the drive shaft out of the hub to gain clearance to drop the strut assembly. Has anybody ever worked around this to get the new Coilover in? Because the Dealer is asking 3k to install this because they have the tool 12 hours of labor which is 7 hours over book time.

If anybody has a workaround I would appreciate it.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:38 PM
Dubbyfreshquire
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Wishing you well on the install.

tuned in to read a review on how you like the setup. 🏎️💨🏆
Old 05-08-2024, 03:04 PM
D1al911
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 65 Posts

Wow, interested to know as well. I will need to go this route very soon here and no plans to take it to dealer.

A
Old 05-08-2024, 03:24 PM
JimM5
Track Day

I actually got some help from Flat 6, they gave me this response.

While they are correct in that the halfshaft may need to be removed, it does not require a special tool. After removing the wheel, you can remove the lock from the center of the hub by simply using pliers and pulling it out. It simply sits on the axle nut with an integrated o-ring. Once removed, you will see the axle nut that needs to be removed as well. At this point, I have everything else ready to come out and use an air hammer with a pointy bit to drive the halfshaft out of the hub as carefully as possible. I recommend the strut assembly be loose from the vehicle at the top hat and supported underneath with a jack so you can apply outward pressure on the strut while driving the axle out the back. This way it does not collapse the outer cv joint too far.

The other way is to remove the halfshaft at the front diff connection by unbolting the 6 screws that hold it to the flange. These screws would need to be replaced as I believe that are torque-to-yield. Some find this easier depending on access and availability of the screws, as they aren't the easiest to torque back down. The halfshaft can remain with the wheel carrier and the whole assembly is removed from the vehicle. Either way has its challenges, so talk it over with them and see which they prefer.

Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck!
The following 4 users liked this post by JimM5:
CodyzWorld (05-09-2024), D1al911 (05-09-2024), Pb Pedis (05-09-2024), Porschetuner2005 (05-08-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 09:47 AM
Pb Pedis
Rennlist Member

Received 1,023 Likes on 643 Posts

^ Wow... very kind of Flat6 to give you advice! I will remember that...
Old 05-09-2024, 10:02 AM
D1al911
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 65 Posts

Good to hear, thank you for sharing.
Old 05-09-2024, 10:19 AM
JimM5
Track Day

Originally Posted by Pb Pedis
^ Wow... very kind of Flat6 to give you advice! I will remember that...
I agree, I called a lot of shops around DFW and strangely nobody had done an install of coilovers on a Porsche Turbo. I found that extremely strange. When posed with the question about the special tool nobody wanted to do the job. Then Flat 6 gave me that answer, there is little to no documentation out there on installing coilovers on a 991 Turbo. Also I am glad I searched because having PDCC I also found out you don't use all four collars on the assembly of the Bilstein or your ride height would never be achieved. It is really amazing there isn't more documentation out there, I guess it is trial and error but I saved the tech a big headache if he has installed all 4 collars.
Old 05-09-2024, 11:38 AM
Dubbyfreshquire
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by JimM5
I agree, I called a lot of shops around DFW and strangely nobody had done an install of coilovers on a Porsche Turbo. I found that extremely strange. When posed with the question about the special tool nobody wanted to do the job. Then Flat 6 gave me that answer, there is little to no documentation out there on installing coilovers on a 991 Turbo. Also I am glad I searched because having PDCC I also found out you don't use all four collars on the assembly of the Bilstein or your ride height would never be achieved. It is really amazing there isn't more documentation out there, I guess it is trial and error but I saved the tech a big headache if he has installed all 4 collars.
thanks for the heads up. I hope others chime in who have done this install.

The PDCC compatibility should really be documented by manufacturer better, that’s a huge selling point for this set.

I have them on my 997TT… but really locked into your updates for the 991 🏆🏆
Old 05-09-2024, 11:43 AM
JimM5
Track Day

Originally Posted by Dubbyfreshquire
thanks for the heads up. I hope others chime in who have done this install.

The PDCC compatibility should really be documented by manufacturer better, that’s a huge selling point for this set.

I have them on my 997TT… but really locked into your updates for the 991 🏆🏆
Yeah the instructions for the PDCC install suggests using all four collars on this kit...I mean each collar is fairly think which affects the stack height, you would have to take them back out to take the extra two collars off. Thank goodness I found this thread.

Bilstein B16 Damptronic height issue - Page 2 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums
Old 05-09-2024, 01:55 PM
SamboTT@ByDesign
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 927 Likes on 566 Posts

Glad to see you got that sorted Jim!

Proud TOP Porsche Distributor For:

Kline-Innovation - ams Performance - TiALSPORT/XONA - #1 COBB PRO TUNER - CSF - IPD Plenums - DO88 - dodsonmotorsport

310-600-1850 - sam@bydesignauto.com
Old 05-09-2024, 02:07 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 386 Likes on 251 Posts

I had the good folks at World Motorsports install my kit so I didn't know your answer. I'm glad you got it sorted out.
I'm loving my kit and handling. It transformed the looks and handling. Some say the DSC will add another level, some say not.

Can you guys chime in on the DSC?
Old 05-09-2024, 02:10 PM
JimM5
Track Day

Originally Posted by SamboTT@ByDesign
Glad to see you got that sorted Jim!
Loving the new Turbo's too Sam, the car is ridiculously fast, just needs better handling now.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:29 PM
CodyzWorld
Burning Brakes

Received 386 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by JimM5
Loving the new Turbo's too Sam, the car is ridiculously fast, just needs better handling now.
Can't imagine the speed and power. Sam is the man. Happy Trails!
Old 05-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Kyrosnick
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 67 Posts

Why would coilovers be any different than lowering springs since the whole strut needs to come out? My car has lowering springs and have a new set to throw on, and its common to do, so seems strange to me.
Glad it got sorted.
Old 05-09-2024, 02:57 PM
JimM5
Track Day

Because you aren't taking the strut assembly out just the spring, also with AWD cars the half shaft doesn't allow for it to clearance out of the way. You could probably just change springs on an AWD car without taking out the strut.

Quick Reply: Bilstein Coilover Install on Turbo S Stuck!!