Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which Porsche travel experience should I do while waiting for my 992 allocation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 05:44 PM
Smoothoperator
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default which Porsche travel experience should I do while waiting for my 992 allocation?

hello all,

Wife and I want to do a Porsche travel experience for our anniversary but too bad we will have to wait for at least 1 or more years for our 992 allocation for the specification we want. We plan to do European delivery option in Germany when it is time to pick up our 992. But in the mean time, we want to sign up Porsche travel experience. which Porsche travel experience should I do while waiting for my 992 allocation?

Thank you.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:30 PM
dmia
Advanced

Received 46 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Smoothoperator
hello all,

Wife and I want to do a Porsche travel experience for our anniversary but too bad we will have to wait for at least 1 or more years for our 992 allocation for the specification we want. We plan to do European delivery option in Germany when it is time to pick up our 992. But in the mean time, we want to sign up Porsche travel experience. which Porsche travel experience should I do while waiting for my 992 allocation?

Thank you.
Rather than ED maybe consider renting a 992 at the museum or a rental company like Sixth and drive around Germany instead. Less stress regarding the logistics of planning ahead not knowing whether the car will actually be finished in time.
The following users liked this post:
alaris (05-10-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 10:34 PM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by dmia
Rather than ED maybe consider renting a 992 at the museum or a rental company like Sixth and drive around Germany instead. Less stress regarding the logistics of planning ahead not knowing whether the car will actually be finished in time.
Can echo this. Whilst I've never done ED and would've loved to for my upcoming car, I did hire a 911 GTS cab in 2019 from Sixt for a cheaper than expected price of ~$1000 for a 6 or 7 day period and it was a fun. It was a one way hire and certainly made logistics a whole heap easier.
alaris (05-10-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 06:23 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 142 Posts

We were supposed to get ED in 2021, but the car, although built and otherwise ready, couldn't be delivered due to TPMS shortage.
We were a week away from our trip so we didn't want to cancel.
Porsche offered to pay for a rental from the Museum but Museum rentals are really just for short excursions. We planned to be in Europe for two weeks.
We ended up getting a rental Audi A5 from Sixt, which turned out to be really good, especially with luggage. We did the Museum tour, but not the factory tour (because of COVID).
Unless you want to drive at night, or early Sunday morning, the Autobahn is congested and traffic is not faster than the New Jersey Turnpike.
The road conditions in Europe are not always so good, with weather, tight parking lots, road construction etc. Frankly, in hindsight, I'm glad we didn't have our car there. Instead, I got it delivered to Atlanta PEC, which was also great.
Old 05-03-2024, 06:40 AM
Spastblast
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

Some suggestions:
- Porsche museum Stuttgart
- Porsche factory tour Stuttgart
- Autobahn
- Porsche museum Gmünd
- Porsche Experience Center Leipzig
- Nürburgring
- Alps
- 24h Le Mans
Old 05-03-2024, 01:49 PM
Dream in PTS
Burning Brakes

Received 908 Likes on 418 Posts

And less stress because the car is not yours.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dream in PTS:
NEH51 (05-04-2024), Smoothoperator (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 03:57 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 676 Likes on 324 Posts

I guess no one has actually answered your question. For me they are all too expensive for what they are. You can save a lot by doing it yourself. Having said that, if I had the money to throw at one of the experiences, it would definitely be Namibia.
https://experience.porsche.com/trave...ntDateId=21625

On a side note, I took ED of my 2023 992 GTS last year and drove through the Alps a bit. Weather didn't really cooperate, so I'm planning another trip in September for 2 weeks. I have a ton of passes mapped and will be spending at least 10-11 days driving through the Alps. Porsche rental was out of budget, so I'm renting a Z4 for the entire 2 weeks for just over $1000 from Capital One Travel. Includes insurance and unlimited miles. I've been painstakingly planning and mapping things out for months. Hotels are booked in 4 different locations on the path.

Edit: The second choice of experiences would be Italy, since I don't speak Italian and it would be good to have a guide.

Last edited by Ikone; 05-03-2024 at 03:59 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Ikone:
bobert75 (05-05-2024), Smoothoperator (05-03-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 05:08 PM
Smoothoperator
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

thank you all for the recommendations esp renting 911 from car rental company.

Besides Germany, what other European countries can I find 911 rental from car rental company?
Old 05-03-2024, 07:20 PM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smoothoperator
thank you all for the recommendations esp renting 911 from car rental company.

Besides Germany, what other European countries can I find 911 rental from car rental company?
You can find them in most of Western Europe, but from my experience, hiring in Germany was the cheapest. You can freely drive across the border from Germany to anything in the surrounds, I'm not sure if you can do a one way return to a country outside of your original country of hire.
Smoothoperator (05-05-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 11:21 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spastblast
Some suggestions:
- Porsche museum Stuttgart
- Porsche factory tour Stuttgart
- Autobahn
- Porsche museum Gmünd
- Porsche Experience Center Leipzig
- Nürburgring
- Alps
- 24h Le Mans

It doesn't all have to be automotive. There's also the Wilhema Zoo and Park in Stuttgart which is a really nice place to spend the day, weather permitting. Also, the Schlossplatz is worth a couple hours.
Old 05-04-2024, 11:25 AM
garthg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ikone
I guess no one has actually answered your question. For me they are all too expensive for what they are. You can save a lot by doing it yourself. Having said that, if I had the money to throw at one of the experiences, it would definitely be Namibia.
https://experience.porsche.com/trave...ntDateId=21625

On a side note, I took ED of my 2023 992 GTS last year and drove through the Alps a bit. Weather didn't really cooperate, so I'm planning another trip in September for 2 weeks. I have a ton of passes mapped and will be spending at least 10-11 days driving through the Alps. Porsche rental was out of budget, so I'm renting a Z4 for the entire 2 weeks for just over $1000 from Capital One Travel. Includes insurance and unlimited miles. I've been painstakingly planning and mapping things out for months. Hotels are booked in 4 different locations on the path.

Edit: The second choice of experiences would be Italy, since I don't speak Italian and it would be good to have a guide.

That's a great deal on that rental car. An Audi A5 cost me $1,700 for two weeks from Sixt.

You don't need to speak Italian to have a great time in Italy. I've been there several times. You can learn a few words and phrases in Italian, and generally can find enough people who speak English to help you.
I recently used Google Translate in Japan, and it was extremely helpful there, since the written language is inscrutable otherwise. I would imagine it could be helpful in Italy also although I never felt reason to try it there.
Old 05-04-2024, 12:38 PM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Another thing for Italy, carry an international driving permit. Not all places places accept a non EU English license. I had to use an international driving permit in Milan.
The following 2 users liked this post by CurryPuff:
Ikone (05-04-2024), NEH51 (05-04-2024)
Old 05-04-2024, 01:13 PM
NEH51
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 39 Posts

+1 to this. You can get one through AAA. Easy peasy

Originally Posted by CurryPuff
Another thing for Italy, carry an international driving permit. Not all places places accept a non EU English license. I had to use an international driving permit in Milan.
Old 05-04-2024, 04:46 PM
Ikone
Burning Brakes

Received 676 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
That's a great deal on that rental car. An Audi A5 cost me $1,700 for two weeks from Sixt.

You don't need to speak Italian to have a great time in Italy. I've been there several times. You can learn a few words and phrases in Italian, and generally can find enough people who speak English to help you.
I recently used Google Translate in Japan, and it was extremely helpful there, since the written language is inscrutable otherwise. I would imagine it could be helpful in Italy also although I never felt reason to try it there.
yeah. I was surprised as well in the cost of the rental. Directly from sixt it was also not too bad but didn’t include unlimited miles or insurance.

I’ve been to Italy and got by easily but was just thinking that it is one of the trips that a guide would make some sense. But yes. I agree with you.
Old 05-04-2024, 05:42 PM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 813 Likes on 380 Posts

I just received a Porsche experience invite traveling throughout New England this fall for just 6 days $15,500 double occupancy ‼️‼️‼️

Last edited by audi4t; 05-04-2024 at 05:44 PM.

Quick Reply: which Porsche travel experience should I do while waiting for my 992 allocation?