Notices
992 2019-Present The Forum for the Non-Turbo 911
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

which Porsche travel experience should I do while waiting for my 992 allocation?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2024, 04:20 AM
Fcassells
Instructor

Received 220 Likes on 93 Posts

We are landing in Munich in June for a couple of weeks, ended up with a Golf for a $1000 … planning on a couple thousand km loop around Germany clockwise, I’m taking notes here so keep the suggestions coming . Danke!
The following users liked this post:
Smoothoperator (05-05-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 07:29 AM
audi4t
Burning Brakes

Received 823 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcassells
We are landing in Munich in June for a couple of weeks, ended up with a Golf for a $1000 … planning on a couple thousand km loop around Germany clockwise, I’m taking notes here so keep the suggestions coming . Danke!

https://neuschwansteintickets.com/

I recommend visiting this village and castle.

Take the tour - amazing views ‼️
The following 2 users liked this post by audi4t:
Fcassells (05-06-2024), HudsonOH992GTS (05-08-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 12:47 PM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcassells
The castle above is a great suggestion. There's a fantastic viewpoint from a bridge a little south of the castle. Any photo you see on Google of it from a distance is from there.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LZDgczY4whcpDDcs5

I'd highly recommend the B500 through the Black Forest for a very nice spirited drive and the other end of it is a small town called Baden Baden. It's a very nice town with some good food with natural hot springs.

If you want to dip in to Austria from the castle, Innsbruck isn't far from the castle is a beautiful place, along with the drives around there.
Fcassells (05-06-2024)
Old 05-05-2024, 10:54 PM
Smoothoperator
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by CurryPuff
You can find them in most of Western Europe, but from my experience, hiring in Germany was the cheapest. You can freely drive across the border from Germany to anything in the surrounds, I'm not sure if you can do a one way return to a country outside of your original country of hire.
Wife wants to go to Zurich Switzerland. I am looking into renting a Porsche 911 from Munich and drive to Zurich. But it seems that car can cross border and cannot use the toll road in Switzerland
Old 05-05-2024, 11:07 PM
Smoothoperator
Instructor

You can find them in most of Western Europe, but from my experience, hiring in Germany was the cheapest. You can freely drive across the border from Germany to anything in the surrounds, I'm not sure if you can do a one way return to a country outside of your original country of hire.
The castle above is a great suggestion. There's a fantastic viewpoint from a bridge a little south of the castle. Any photo you see on Google of it from a distance is from there.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/LZDgczY4whcpDDcs5

I'd highly recommend the B500 through the Black Forest for a very nice spirited drive and the other end of it is a small town called Baden Baden. It's a very nice town with some good food with natural hot springs.

If you want to dip in to Austria from the castle, Innsbruck isn't far from the castle is a beautiful place, along with the drives around there.
is driving 911 rental allowed to Austria from Germany side?
Old 05-06-2024, 03:02 AM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smoothoperator
is driving 911 rental allowed to Austria from Germany side?
Yep. There's no check points and roadside assistance will cover you as normal. There's no special conditions either on the rental agreement that you need to agree to for driving across.

As for Switzerland, you only need a 'toll' sticker which can be bought for (atleast until 2021) for about 40CHF. You can buy it from any highway service stations close to the border. The sticker allows you to drive in Switzerland. There's only 2 toll roads in all of Switzerland, one in a tunnel going down to Italy and I think the other is going to France (not sure on his). Likewise, Germany has no toll roads either. Your German rental will have a green sticker on it already being a local car.

Last edited by CurryPuff; 05-06-2024 at 03:05 AM.
Old 05-06-2024, 06:12 AM
Mark S
Rennlist Member

Received 287 Likes on 162 Posts

Yep. There's no check points and roadside assistance will cover you as normal. There's no special conditions either on the rental agreement that you need to agree to for driving across.

As for Switzerland, you only need a 'toll' sticker which can be bought for (atleast until 2021) for about 40CHF. You can buy it from any highway service stations close to the border. The sticker allows you to drive in Switzerland. There's only 2 toll roads in all of Switzerland, one in a tunnel going down to Italy and I think the other is going to France (not sure on his). Likewise, Germany has no toll roads either. Your German rental will have a green sticker on it already being a local car.
This works like a charm - I have done this drive as described above without issue. I have also driven from Zurich - Lucerne - Munich, just buy the toll sticker in Switzerland. Fun drive on nice roads.
Old 05-07-2024, 03:58 PM
Smoothoperator
Instructor

look like we will fly into Zurich first for 3 days and take train to Munich downtown. So that means I will not rent 911 from Sixt location in Munich airport. What location in Munich would you guys recommend renting 911 so I do not end up stuck in Munich traffic and came just drive straight to country road or hwy right after picking up 911?

Also beside bavaria driving routes and castle driving routes, where should I drive 911 rental too?

thank you.
Old 05-08-2024, 02:21 AM
Spastblast
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 37 Posts

https://customer.drive.porsche.com/d...d-and-vehicles

https://customer.drive.porsche.com/d...d-and-vehicles
Smoothoperator (05-10-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 05:08 AM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smoothoperator
look like we will fly into Zurich first for 3 days and take train to Munich downtown. So that means I will not rent 911 from Sixt location in Munich airport. What location in Munich would you guys recommend renting 911 so I do not end up stuck in Munich traffic and came just drive straight to country road or hwy right after picking up 911?

Also beside bavaria driving routes and castle driving routes, where should I drive 911 rental too?

thank you.
I've always rented from Munich airport or driven from London, so don't have any recommendations there, sorry!
As for roads, look up places for organised driving tours for itinerary ideas. There's a bunch in the UK and have great suggestions.
Example: https://petrolhead.tours/past-future...alpsdolomites/

If you want to head south in Austria, highly recommend Grossglockner high alpine road (toll road, you can pay by card). If you were to drive within Switzerland, roads around Greindewald are nice (local roads), but Furka pass is highly recommended in the region.

Last edited by CurryPuff; 05-08-2024 at 05:10 AM.
Smoothoperator (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 02:02 PM
Smoothoperator
Instructor

I've always rented from Munich airport or driven from London, so don't have any recommendations there, sorry!
As for roads, look up places for organised driving tours for itinerary ideas. There's a bunch in the UK and have great suggestions.
Example: https://petrolhead.tours/past-future...alpsdolomites/

If you want to head south in Austria, highly recommend Grossglockner high alpine road (toll road, you can pay by card). If you were to drive within Switzerland, roads around Greindewald are nice (local roads), but Furka pass is highly recommended in the region.
thanks for the tips. I think driving around Greindewald and Furka pass sounds fun. I will be staying in Lucerne for 3 nights.
which car rental car would you recommend to rent regular car to drive to Greindewald and Furka pass?
Old 05-08-2024, 05:13 PM
CurryPuff
Rennlist Member

I've never hired personally in Switzerland. I've always either had my car when driven from London or had one from Germany. A friend did hire a Range Rover from Zurich airport from Hertz, that was solely because he had great benefits for Hertz, including preferred rates (that car handled like a boat though and induced motion sickness in the rear passengers on a super tight roads at a moderate pace).
Smoothoperator (05-09-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 05:39 PM
Smoothoperator
Instructor

do you know if the rental pricing covers insurance? or if porsche offere their own insurance when renting from dealerhsip?
Old 05-10-2024, 08:24 PM
Ikone
Three Wheelin'

Received 754 Likes on 370 Posts

If you just reach out to Porsche, they can answer all your questions.
Old 05-10-2024, 11:02 PM
alaris
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by garthg
We were supposed to get ED in 2021, but the car, although built and otherwise ready, couldn't be delivered due to TPMS shortage.
We were a week away from our trip so we didn't want to cancel.
Porsche offered to pay for a rental from the Museum but Museum rentals are really just for short excursions. We planned to be in Europe for two weeks.
We ended up getting a rental Audi A5 from Sixt, which turned out to be really good, especially with luggage. We did the Museum tour, but not the factory tour (because of COVID).
Unless you want to drive at night, or early Sunday morning, the Autobahn is congested and traffic is not faster than the New Jersey Turnpike.
The road conditions in Europe are not always so good, with weather, tight parking lots, road construction etc. Frankly, in hindsight, I'm glad we didn't have our car there. Instead, I got it delivered to Atlanta PEC, which was also great.
I rented a 991.2 and a 992 for one week each from the museum and they didn’t say anything about a limit of how many days you could rent. I wouldn’t think two weeks would be a problem but I could be wrong.

After those experiences renting a 911 twice, I would never buy a new Porsche without doing ED. Driving through the Black Forest and along the Alpenstraße there was little traffic and incredible scenery. Get a map of all the unlimited autobahn sections (there are a few out there) and design routes around them.

Last edited by alaris; 05-10-2024 at 11:17 PM.

Quick Reply: which Porsche travel experience should I do while waiting for my 992 allocation?