Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIWIS Coding/Tutorials/Troubleshooting

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2024, 12:24 AM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default PIWIS Coding/Tutorials/Troubleshooting

Seems like other subforums have these threads. Do we?

https://rennlist.com/forums/panamera...ispreloading=1
https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-...e-request.html

I have a PIWIS 3 VAS 6154 clone, and I got it to work. My main reason for getting it was to clear an airbag light and reprogram a few things, but I'm a little lost. I thought I read I need to do everything offline in developer mode. Is that true? I ask because I also read that despite changing the language to US English, everything in developer mode is in German. I don't have reception in my garage, so I can't really do the Google Translate trick on my phone. Do I have to be in developer mode to clear the airbag and change the in-headlights signals from incandescent to LEDs?

I bought a 982 steering wheel that I am using with a new airbag and GPSadapter on my 981. All the functions are working except the joker/program button. Again, everything else works. The airbag light is on, and I tried to buy the iCarSoft scan tool to clear the airbags, but that didn't work. I tried to clear the fault codes on PIWIS 3, but it gave me an error (see pic). I don't know if the 982 airbag needs to be coded/programed to my car, since it is a different style or different airbag all together. I don't know if my airbag is just a bad airbag or how to tell. I weld, have done engine swaps, built turbo kits, flashed ECUTEKs, installed Haltech units, etc, DIYer type, but wiring and wiring diagnostic stuff is bit over my head most of the time unless someone gives me a tutorial.

The other thing I want to do is reprogram the headlight turn signals to be LED instead of incandescent. I read that you can do that (Reddit confirmed), but there was no tutorial. I don't know if programming them just clears the warning lights, or if it also stops the hyper-blinking.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by IraceRN; 05-05-2024 at 07:04 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Ernest72 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 02:16 AM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

I found a Reddit post about the LED setting. The setting is under the front BCM ("BCM Vorne"), coding value "Aussenbeleuchtung Blinker norne in LED". I'm going to try that tomorrow.
Ernest72 (05-02-2024)
Old 05-02-2024, 10:56 AM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 112 Posts

Maybe a mod can take the various threads for PIWIS coding and place them in one place. Easier to find. I take pics using my phone this way i can easily find them when working on someone’s car
IraceRN (05-02-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 01:01 AM
Advanced

Received 48 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by IraceRN
I found a Reddit post about the LED setting. The setting is under the front BCM ("BCM Vorne"), coding value "Aussenbeleuchtung Blinker norne in LED". I'm going to try that tomorrow.
That was my post on Reddit...
Here's a series of screenshots, if it helps:

The following 2 users liked this post by 01010011:
IraceRN (05-03-2024), rezilient (05-27-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 04:45 AM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 01010011

Hmmm, I'll have to check on Saturday when I am off next. The options look a bit different on my 981 PIWIS cloned copy. I'm in engineering and developer mode. I don't know if that is because my program is different, but I feel like I moved through similar screens like that, and I got options for changing the blinker from 0 ms to something, and I set it to 200 ms. Anything less, and the turn signal warning would flash. Anything greater than 350 ms would do the same too and just shut off the blinker from flashing at all. There wasn't really the option to turn the setting on/off.

I think the setting was BCM vorne==>manual coding without coding rules (development)==>Aussenbelechtung==>***

*** the next entry I am not remembering, but it included Aussenbelechtung and some large V-word along with LED and vorne, and once again, it was a list of values like 200ms, 0ms, 3sec, 20mV, not to activate it or not. Maybe I'm in the wrong screen/mode or something. I'll try again Saturday.

Right now the warning light isn't on, and it isn't hyper flashing, but the headlight turn signal and side turn signals aren't in sync. Lots of headaches for something so small. I could always go to the crap halogen bulbs, but I'd like to resolve this.

On the airbag, I tested the ohms on the terminals. I was told it should be 2.7 ohms, but it came back at 5.4 ohms, and then pushing around on the terminals I got 3.5 ohms. I don't know why. I'm possibility getting sent a new airbag, and I'm shipping the other one back unless I can figure it out, determine if the fault is in the harness, connector or airbag.
Old 05-04-2024, 06:45 PM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 01010011
There was one screen missing that was between the "manual coding without rules" and the screen to select the blinker, and that was the screen where you have to select "Coding Value". Seems obvious now, but I selected the Assen...parameters one above it, which let me change timing. I restored the value back to zero, and then I went and coded the LED, and they work perfectly and in sync without any warning indicators. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-04-2024, 07:57 PM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

I fixed the airbag, and cleared the light. For some reason the resistance was high when I first tested it, but then is in normal range later, and for good measure, I tighten the terminals in the plug going into the clock spring. I was able to clear the code using PIWIS.

Now to program the joker button...hmmm.
Old 05-05-2024, 09:22 PM
IraceRN
Rennlist Member

Joker key is easy to activate. Developer/Engineering mode ==> Diagnostics ==> Kombiinstrument ==> coding tab ==> manual coding without rules ==> Bordcomputer Menükonfiguration 1 ==>Bordcomputer Menükonfiguration: Bordcomputer Menuekonfiguration Byte 2 JokerKey (Multifunktionstaste) ==> nicht aktiv > aktiv

After you write (F8) and confirm coding was successful, close the program, and then go to vehicle menu on the instrument panel using the scroll wheel on your steering wheel, settings, steering wheel options, and you can set the joker (diamond) key. I set mine to next song.

Last edited by IraceRN; 05-05-2024 at 09:24 PM.
rezilient (05-27-2024)
Old 06-21-2024, 08:47 PM
KEICHAN0418
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed PIWIS v42.300+38.250 on my laptop and connected the VAS6154 to the vehicle for coding, but I can't find it. This is the part here.

「コーディング値」を選択できる画面はどこですか?スクリーンショットを投稿していただけるとありがたいです

Last edited by KEICHAN0418; 06-21-2024 at 08:50 PM.
Old 06-25-2024, 10:07 PM
skiddmcmarx
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings all!

Thought I would just throw a few of the options I've been able to code onto my 2015 US Based 981 Boxster S. As I go back in, I will update this post with the codes/settings changed for future reference.

Convertible Top & Windows Up/Down via Key Fob
--BCM vorne; Coding value: Komfortfunktionen Komfortoeffnen Verdeck; ja
--BCM vorne; Coding value: Komfortfunktionen Komfortschliessen Verdeck; ja
--BCM hinten; Coding value; Ausstattung Verdecksteurung vorhanden; ja
--BCM hinten; Coding value; Ausstattung VerdeckvershluB automatisch; ja
--BCM hinten; Verdeck-Codierung: 981_Verdeckcoierungen Komfortfunktion Fernbedienung Verdeck vorhanden

Multifunction Wheel -> Sport Steering Wheel with Paddle Neutral feature
--V mode, option 840 in Vehicle data

Puddle lamps on via lock/unlock

G-Force Meter

Performance Display

Oil Pressure Refresh Rate 0.1

Disable seatbelt chime
--V mode, Front End Electronics; Customer specific setting

Disable audible lock tone (meep meep)
--V mode, Front End Electronics; Customer specific setting

Enable (N) Neutral displayed on cluster

Enable Sport Chrono Package (Need to add Sports Plus button to confirm)
--V mode; option code 640 in vehicle data

Increase 10+ HP (The difference between Cayman and Boxster, not sure I can feel it, but hey whatever)
--V mode; option 148 in vehicle data

Next on the list
Changing cluster (and pcm?) splash screen
Change to GT3 Steering Feel
Tach lighting always on

Last edited by skiddmcmarx; 06-26-2024 at 12:14 AM. Reason: Update post.
Mike981S (06-26-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 10:45 PM
718socal
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 259 Posts

Last edited by 718socal; 06-26-2024 at 01:40 AM. Reason: .
Old 06-26-2024, 08:53 AM
Kshaw
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Would you have to know German to effectively use one of these tools? My German is limited to ordering a large beer and I am sure that ability to read technical manuals in German would be above my skill level.
Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
Buck_Turgidson
4th Gear

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Just get google translate on your phone and point it at the screen!

Quick Reply: PIWIS Coding/Tutorials/Troubleshooting