Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission Mount Bushing Mod on 981

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 12:36 PM
Cayman Ed
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Transmission Mount Bushing Mod on 981

Pls share 'how to & tips' if you have mod the oem rubber bushings of the transmission mount to solid urethane or urethane insert

Last edited by Cayman Ed; 05-01-2024 at 11:39 PM. Reason: wrong link
Old 05-01-2024, 02:29 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 560 Likes on 206 Posts

I had my indy install my WEVO semi-solid transmission mounts so I don't have any 'how-to' tips. However, I wrote about my impressions if you're interested in that:
https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...ts-review.html
The following users liked this post:
Cayman Ed (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 06:44 PM
Cayman Ed
Intermediate

Thanks for your feedback. Your experience in your 981CS is similar to my R53 MCS that I modded with solid urethane engine mounts, direct, raw, and it gave a feeling of more torque.
Would love to try this on my 981C.
Old 05-01-2024, 08:59 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

What you linked to is the engine mount, not the transmission mount. (It's the trans mount on the 911). That seems like a huge pain to install, I don't see bring able to do it without pulling coolant hoses which means draining, filling, and bleeding the system.
Old 05-01-2024, 09:38 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dps214
What you linked to is the engine mount, not the transmission mount. (It's the trans mount on the 911). That seems like a huge pain to install, I don't see bring able to do it without pulling coolant hoses which means draining, filling, and bleeding the system.
Adding onto this, it's been recommended to start with adding stiffer transmission mounts before messing with the engine mounts. The reasoning behind this is that the transmission mounts are further from the cabin so there will be less increase in NVH vs stiffer engine mounts. The transmission mounts are also further from the axis of rotation of the car, so stiffening these would do more to reduce the "pendulum" effect of the drivetrain.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:36 PM
Cayman Ed
Intermediate

My bad if I put the wrong link but goal is really the transmission mounts. The WEVO used by Nam is a good option considering his positive review.
Old 05-02-2024, 07:01 AM
davecramer
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

rennline makes some as well Porsche Boxster - Mounts (rennline.com)
I just replaced mine with OEM. I've gone down the rabbit hole with performance parts before. I prefer quiet.
Old 05-02-2024, 10:51 AM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by davecramer
rennline makes some as well Porsche Boxster - Mounts (rennline.com)
I just replaced mine with OEM. I've gone down the rabbit hole with performance parts before. I prefer quiet.
this is best. I put so many urethane bushings in my 04 WRX it could rattle filings out of your mouth. Now that I am over 50 I started going back to rubber. Will not make the same mistake on the Cayman.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:18 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I recently put the rennline mounts in my car. They were a tremendous pain to assemble, the performance is pretty good though and they were cheaper than new stock mounts. NVH-wise the softest insert option is about what I'd call the upper limit of acceptable. If this was purely a daily driver/fun weekend car I'd probably say not quite acceptable. I have to imagine it would be unbearable for anything but a dedicated track car with the stiffer inserts. I don't regret these mounts but if I had it to do over again I'd probably try filling the empty space in the stock mounts with window weld first.
Old 05-02-2024, 01:38 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dps214
I recently put the rennline mounts in my car. They were a tremendous pain to assemble, the performance is pretty good though and they were cheaper than new stock mounts. NVH-wise the softest insert option is about what I'd call the upper limit of acceptable. If this was purely a daily driver/fun weekend car I'd probably say not quite acceptable. I have to imagine it would be unbearable for anything but a dedicated track car with the stiffer inserts. I don't regret these mounts but if I had it to do over again I'd probably try filling the empty space in the stock mounts with window weld first.
Interesting. I wonder how the stiffness of the Rennline vs Wevo mounts compare. I installed Wevo's standard "blue" pillows and driven well over 40k miles since installing them without any problems with NVH. This includes a handful of multi-day road trips with +10h stints at a time. I often have non-enthusiast passengers with me on these trips with me as well and they've never complained about excess NVH in the cabin

They offer a softer "black" pillow option but even if I were to do it again I wouldn't feel the need to go softer:
https://www.wevo.com/Products/Chassi...-SSPillows.htm
The following users liked this post:
Cayman Ed (05-02-2024)
Old 05-03-2024, 12:03 AM
Cayman Ed
Intermediate

Flat 6 is inherently more balanced than I4 and H4

Quick Reply: Transmission Mount Bushing Mod on 981