Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 08:00 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 2004 Cayenne Turbo For Sale

Yup,

Sadly, I have finally listed my cherished 2004 Cayenne Turbo (955) in the Rennlist marketplace, here: https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1409854

It needs engine work, otherwise a real prize with nearly $20k invested in the last year or two. I'm now 77, still driving fast (hey -- I've been driving this beauty for the last 20 years!), we recently moved up to Nyack, NY from Long Island, and just can no longer care for her.

Have a look, make an offer.

Many thanks for all the good times,
Jeff
Old 04-30-2024, 10:50 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Jeff, if I can make a suggestion…

Bring the cayenne (have it towed, if necessary) to a local shop and have them swap out the camshaft sensors. They are cheap, at around $70, and super easy to replace. If that fixes the missing, the car will be a lot easier to sell and likely more valuable.

Good luck!
Old 05-01-2024, 09:52 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
Jeff, if I can make a suggestion…

Bring the cayenne (have it towed, if necessary) to a local shop and have them swap out the camshaft sensors. They are cheap, at around $70, and super easy to replace. If that fixes the missing, the car will be a lot easier to sell and likely more valuable.

Good luck!
Why would you send him on a wildgoose chase? How do you know it's just the camshaft position sensor? Motormounts, spark plugs, coils could cause some issue, but diagnosing a car and recommending repairs via internet is similar to a bunch of other posts I see where members simply throw parts at a problem and have no idea what is causing the issue. Seller is upfront and identified the issues. Plus, you completely ignored the part about his no longer being able to put the time and effort into maintaining it.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:39 AM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Originally Posted by awrryan
Why would you send him on a wildgoose chase? How do you know it's just the camshaft position sensor? Motormounts, spark plugs, coils could cause some issue, but diagnosing a car and recommending repairs via internet is similar to a bunch of other posts I see where members simply throw parts at a problem and have no idea what is causing the issue. Seller is upfront and identified the issues. Plus, you completely ignored the part about his no longer being able to put the time and effort into maintaining it.
I read all that. And it's not like I'm suggesting he have the timing chain replaced. And sorry, engine mounts aren't a causing camshaft sensor code and misfiring codes. Yes, spark plugs and coils should be replaced if they haven't been done in the last 60k or maybe 10 years, and could very well be the cause of the misfiring codes (but not the cam sensor code). The cam sensors are the low-hanging fruit and could be causing all the codes/issues. They are cheap and any mechanic can replace them in a few hours. It shouldn't cost more than $500 to have them replaced. Edit: maybe just one for $500, but only one bank is throwing a code.

I'm just trying to help the guy. A 2004 CTT with 150k miles and needing engine repair isn't worth much, even with the long ownership history and service records. He'll be lucky to get $3000 IMO, because of the risk that it's not just a cam sensor and some coils/plugs. If there is a problem with the timing chain or cam adjusters, it's going to cost half his asking price to get that fixed at a shop. If he has the cam sensors swapped, and it fixes the issues, he could ask $9-10k.

Last edited by BobcatBrian; 05-01-2024 at 11:47 AM.
The following users liked this post:
19psi (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 12:03 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by BobcatBrian
I read all that. And it's not like I'm suggesting he have the timing chain replaced. And sorry, engine mounts aren't a causing camshaft sensor code and misfiring codes. Yes, spark plugs and coils should be replaced if they haven't been done in the last 60k or maybe 10 years, and could very well be the cause of the misfiring codes (but not the cam sensor code). The cam sensors are the low-hanging fruit and could be causing all the codes/issues. They are cheap and any mechanic can replace them in a few hours. It shouldn't cost more than $500 to have them replaced. Edit: maybe just one for $500, but only one bank is throwing a code.

I'm just trying to help the guy. A 2004 CTT with 150k miles and needing engine repair isn't worth much, even with the long ownership history and service records. He'll be lucky to get $3000 IMO, because of the risk that it's not just a cam sensor and some coils/plugs. If there is a problem with the timing chain or cam adjusters, it's going to cost half his asking price to get that fixed at a shop. If he has the cam sensors swapped, and it fixes the issues, he could ask $9-10k.
I understand that you intended to help, but your response proves me point. He doesn't want to or have the ability to devote the time which is why he is selling it. Your response completely ignores his motivation and reasons for selling by suggesting that he go do the exact same thing he wants to avoid (without any guaranty of sucess by replacing a cam sensor). I do not agree that he would be lucky to get $3,000.00. In my opinion, the car could be worth more; however, my opinion would be based upon an inspection or looking at the car myself, not diagnosing it via Rennlist and making a suggestion that you have no idea will work at the expense of the Seller.
Old 05-01-2024, 12:36 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Originally Posted by awrryan
I understand that you intended to help, but your response proves me point. He doesn't want to or have the ability to devote the time which is why he is selling it. Your response completely ignores his motivation and reasons for selling by suggesting that he go do the exact same thing he wants to avoid (without any guaranty of sucess by replacing a cam sensor). I do not agree that he would be lucky to get $3,000.00. In my opinion, the car could be worth more; however, my opinion would be based upon an inspection or looking at the car myself, not diagnosing it via Rennlist and making a suggestion that you have no idea will work at the expense of the Seller.
Agree to disagree. He posted the fault codes in the ad, and you can certainly diagnose some things based on codes alone.

This is what Alldata says: P0011

Adjustment of Inlet Camshaft in relation to Crankshaft, Bank 1 - Signal Implausible

Diagnostic conditions

- Battery voltage between 10 V and 16 V
- Time after the engine is started longer than 10 seconds
- Engine oil temperature between -9 °C and 100 °C
- Engine speed between 1,160 rpm and 6,000 rpm.

Possible cause of fault

- Dirt in oil circuit
- Sealing strips on inlet camshaft adjuster faulty
- Oil pressure too low
- Mechanical fault in inlet camshaft adjuster
- Solenoid hydraulic valve faulty

However, a quick search of the forums shows that replacing the cam sensor has resolved this issue sometimes. You're correct, no guaranty of success. The key is not to throw lots of money at it without properly diagnosing the issues. An aftermarket cam sensor can be purchased online for under $70 (for OEM Bosch or even $23 for a Bremi) and you don't HAVE to remove the intake manifold:

I'm not ignoring his motivation or reasons for selling the car, far from it. His car is a "mechanics special" at this time. If you try to sell a car with a flat tire, you're going to get less money than if it was fully operational. If the cam sensor fixes it, he has an asset worth more money. If not, the new owner better be comfortable digging into the cylinder head otherwise it's going to be expensive to repair this car.

Edit:
He doesn't want to or have the ability to devote the time which is why he is selling it
I wasn't suggesting that HE personally repair the car, btw. I was suggesting a mechanic, preferably a mobile mechanic, replace the cam sensor for him.

Last edited by BobcatBrian; 05-01-2024 at 12:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:20 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gents:

I sincerely appreciate all the well-intended suggestions, but...

Please, no arguing over my sale. I mean, if you want to fight over who's going to buy it, please have at it. Otherwise, no bad karma in my space. Please.

Now, I suspect there may be minor (or major) things going on here, but I'm not a mechanic, and I'm not particularly concerned with how much I can possibly yield from this sale. A few thousand dollars will not change anything. Of course, I would like as much as possible (and I love negotiating) but it's more important that I am able to pass it to someone who will take good care of her and get to enjoy it as I have. It is -- no matter what -- reparable. And it is truly gorgeous! But I just am no longer willing to invest the time and effort; life is too short. I've priced it fairly, I'm ready to sell, I'm open to offers, and I'm not stuck on anything.

If I were younger I might feel differently. I bought it when I was 57 and I've had a pretty great time with her. She's been great fun, and a great and safe companion but, now, both my wife and I are 77. We've naturally engaged other priorities, including our health, family, traveling, and our large demanding home. We want most to enjoy the next couple of decades with as little stress as possible, and we have decided not to pursue unnecessary challenges, so -- it's simply time to let my Cayenne go.

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions, and I appreciate your understanding...

Best,
Jeff

The following 2 users liked this post by k2kv:
BobcatBrian (05-01-2024), TRINITONY (05-01-2024)
Old 05-01-2024, 02:13 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Originally Posted by k2kv
Gents:

I sincerely appreciate all the well-intended suggestions, but...

Please, no arguing over my sale. I mean, if you want to fight over who's going to buy it, please have at it. Otherwise, no bad karma in my space. Please.

Now, I suspect there may be minor (or major) things going on here, but I'm not a mechanic, and I'm not particularly concerned with how much I can possibly yield from this sale. A few thousand dollars will not change anything. Of course, I would like as much as possible (and I love negotiating) but it's more important that I am able to pass it to someone who will take good care of her and get to enjoy it as I have. It is -- no matter what -- reparable. And it is truly gorgeous! But I just am no longer willing to invest the time and effort; life is too short. I've priced it fairly, I'm ready to sell, I'm open to offers, and I'm not stuck on anything.

If I were younger I might feel differently. I bought it when I was 57 and I've had a pretty great time with her. She's been great fun, and a great and safe companion but, now, both my wife and I are 77. We've naturally engaged other priorities, including our health, family, traveling, and our large demanding home. We want most to enjoy the next couple of decades with as little stress as possible, and we have decided not to pursue unnecessary challenges, so -- it's simply time to let my Cayenne go.

Thanks again for your thoughts and suggestions, and I appreciate your understanding...

Best,
Jeff
Jeff, I understand and I apologize for moving the discussion away from your intention. Good luck with the sale and I hope the repairs are simple and straightforward.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:47 PM
k2kv
Addict
Rennlist Member

No worry Brian,

All in good spirit. And, I do appreciate your sincere intentions and advice!

Be well,
Jeff
The following users liked this post:
BobcatBrian (05-01-2024)