Sponsored by:

Transmission Fill after Transgo install

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 10:34 PM
tsill13
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Transmission Fill after Transgo install

I installed the trans go shift kit, not for the faint of heart....

Car is level on a lift.

and after filling my transmission, starting it up for about 5 seconds, turning it off, refilling, starting again, stopping refilling until it has enough fluid in it to shift through the gears p/r)n/d then back to park.

Filled it again until fluid came out, started the car and let it heat up to 40c. I put appx 10 quarts in it total and at 40c it was still not running out the fill.

I ran out of fluid and need to order more. Couple things I couldn't figure out.

First I would have thought 10 quarts would do it but when it got to 40c I stuck my finger in the fill hole and it wasn't close to full.

Second, like a dummy I did not put the fill plug in, and turned the cayenne off, fluid started dumping out the fill hole. Assuming that is normal and I just should have put the fill plug in before turning it off?

Any suggestions would be appreciated, have more redline d4 on the way.

This is the 05 955 turbo with the aisin warner trans and sk09d transgo kit

Last edited by tsill13; 04-28-2024 at 10:35 PM. Reason: More info
Old 04-28-2024, 10:57 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

You did not follow the procedure and may have lost some fluid in between starts. The procedure is to fill it until it runs out with the engine off, then start the car and immediately start filling again with the engine running. Once it's full, with the engine still running, you run it a couple of times through the gears with your foot on the brake and monitor the temperature. The fluid will keep dripping as the transmission fluid gets warmer and expands. Once the fluid temperature reaches 40'C then you reinstall the fill plug and you can then turn the engine off.
Old 04-28-2024, 11:06 PM
tsill13
Rennlist Member

Had to turn it off in order to refill as it pumps the pan out near immediate. I didn't lose any fluid between starts, but did lose fluid once it was coming up to temp, hit 40c and did not dribble out. I was out of fluid to put in it at that point and shut it off thinking it wouldn't run out, was low. Not the case. Even though it was low, shutting it off without the fill plug it started dumping out the fill hole. Plugged it up as quick as I could and now waiting for more fluid, no local redline dealer.
Old 04-29-2024, 12:17 AM
theprf
Race Car

Received 1,656 Likes on 1,053 Posts

Normal. With engine running the pump is full of fluid. When shut off that fluid drains back to the pan. So it's necessary to put the plug in before shutting engine off, even if fluid is low.
The following users liked this post:
TRINITONY (04-30-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 06:18 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 50 Posts

Agree, normal. Engine must be running when the final level is set. I think you’re close…. When you get the rest of the fluid, start it, let it warm to 40C/run it through the gears, then add more fluid. Then install drain plug, then turn off.
Old 04-29-2024, 08:09 AM
tsill13
Rennlist Member

Thanks all, I was stumped after it took so much fluid, then once I ran out nothing I could do. My mistake to **** it off without putting the fill plug in first. Needed a helper on this one.

Will report back
Old 04-29-2024, 10:49 PM
tsill13
Rennlist Member

Fixed. Followed standard procedure listed above and all is well. I simply had just ran out of fluid and then turned it off without fill plug, still only lost about half quart doing that.

After an additional 2 quarts that it needed, it dropped out, waited to 40c, then put the fill plug back in.

When I started it, all range lights were on, prnd, took about 3 trips around the block with the trans shifting smooth most the trip, slipping through some gears. About 5 key on key offs with short trips in between range lights are now normal showing me what gear im in, check engine light is off and it now shifts like butter.

Thanks all, much appreciated, now it's on to the headlight harnesses
Old 04-30-2024, 02:15 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

If you installed the Transgo kit you probably shoud reset the transmission adapations and let it start fresh. Do you have a code reader? Even if the lights went away I'm sure there are some soft codes stored. How did you measure the correct fluid temperature?
Old 04-30-2024, 03:35 PM
h20quality
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you perform the solenoid mods also? Or just install new valves?
Old 04-30-2024, 04:10 PM
tsill13
Rennlist Member

I have an icarsoft 3.0 but could not get it to sync to the car. I actually just got it not long ago and trying to see what its capabilities are in full, the instructions and the specs are lets just say, lacking. i did not see an option to reset the trans, it surely can clear codes, but i need to get in and figure that part out.

On the fluid, i used a laser temp reader on both the drain plug and then also the fluid dribbling out the fill. Both were pretty close to each other until right around when it was coming up the the 40c mark, then it seemed like the trans cooler opened and started to cool the fluid down, it took a while to get the last bit of temp to 40c.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:13 PM
tsill13
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by h20quality
Did you perform the solenoid mods also? Or just install new valves?
I performed the solenoid mods as well, doing it the second time is always easier of course, this effort to install the transgo kit, i spent a month learning and watching every video i could find.

I've rebuilt a 84 930 manual trans, but this auto box stuff is magic to me...

Thanks all for the help, will try to reset it all with the icarsoft and see if it allows me to clear all the codes.
Old 04-30-2024, 04:35 PM
BobcatBrian
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

What symptoms did you have before doing the transgo kit? I've installed one before in a Eagle Talon I was restoring a few years ago. Definitely need to take your time, be clean/organized, and check your work!

Quick Reply: Transmission Fill after Transgo install