Nankang CRS vs Michelin Cup2 Tire Comparison @ Spa Francorchamps

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 09:34 AM
K.Zannos
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts
Post Nankang CRS vs Michelin Cup2 Tire Comparison @ Spa Francorchamps

Hello all,

As the car we are testing with is a 992 GT3, i am putting this in this forum but if any one of the moderators feels it deserves to be elsewhere then feel free to move it accordingly.

Long story short, the video is a tire comparison between the new Nankang CRS and the Michelin Cup2N as the best OEM fitment tire for the GT3.
It is 31 minutes long so brace yourselves but it couldn't be any shorter given what i was aiming to do.

I hope the video offers some insight to some and don't hesitate to throw any additional questions that you might have.

Best,
Konstantinos
The following 5 users liked this post by K.Zannos:
FTS (04-28-2024), JCviggen (04-27-2024), pepinozaur (04-27-2024), RRich (04-28-2024), TDT (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 11:09 AM
Dreamer99
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great video. Thanks for posting this up. What were your cold tire pressures and pressures after your cool down lap?

I must be running my Cup2’s too high. I start at 26 psi cold and see 33-34 psi after a cool down lap on a tight technical course.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:00 PM
Volcano
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very good video thanks
Old 04-27-2024, 09:35 PM
Junwei Wu
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great video. Can I ask if the tires were sponsored by Nankang?
Old 04-27-2024, 10:30 PM
disden
Drifting

Received 984 Likes on 434 Posts

Do Nankang make tires that fit GT4 RS?
Old 04-28-2024, 02:16 AM
K.Zannos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dreamer99
Great video. Thanks for posting this up. What were your cold tire pressures and pressures after your cool down lap?

I must be running my Cup2’s too high. I start at 26 psi cold and see 33-34 psi after a cool down lap on a tight technical course.
And thank you for the comment!

Cold pressures when we started were set at 2.0bar // 29 psi. After the warm up session they raised close to 2.5bar // 31.9 bar and finally we had them dropped again to 2.0 bar // 29 psi hot.
33-34 psi is already on the high side - although that is the Michelin safety recommendation. So if you are having such pressures after your cool down lap then i would definitely suggest lowering these pressures down.

A good place to aim around is 27.5 psi front and 29 psi rear.

Originally Posted by Volcano
Very good video thanks
Glad you found it useful
Any like or share of the video anywhere else it can be of help would be a great way to help the channel grow (as it is a new one )

Originally Posted by Junwei Wu
Thanks for the great video. Can I ask if the tires were sponsored by Nankang?
Thank you for watching! Of course you can and no the tires were not sponsored by Nankang!
We already have been using the AR-1 from the past hence the Nankang stickering on our cars.
We are not any more affiliated with Nankang that we are with Michelin (up until now we are using Michelin 4S on an extra set of wheels for rainy days here at Spa) or Goodyear or any other tire brand that is offering a decent product that works well with our business model.

Being a racetrack car rental company means that we always keep on testing products in the market to see how we can optimize our vehicles for our audience. Be it pads, fluids, discs, tires, alignment values.

Originally Posted by disden
Do Nankang make tires that fit GT4 RS?
On our GT4RS we have the AR-1, on one dimension higher (245F / 305R) without any problems and even when running OEM geometry on the car.
The same is possible for the CRS of course but if our sources are correct then the OEM size should becoming available in the next month or so.

Best,
Konstantinos.
The following users liked this post:
Dreamer99 (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 05:24 AM
Taffy66
Burning Brakes

Received 403 Likes on 209 Posts

Great video. How do the AR 1s compare with the CRS ? Also have you compared to the Yokohamas AD09 ?
Old 04-29-2024, 12:30 AM
Biglife
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Konstantinos, I want to express my gratitude for creating such an insightful video. Spa is definitely on my bucket list, and I'll be sure to reach out when I'm ready to hit the track.

I'm curious, based on your experience, what's the best protocol for optimizing tire performance and longevity? Would you recommend something along the lines of: 2 laps to reach temperature, pitting in to adjust the PSI/BAR then waiting a couple of minutes before doing 6-7 laps at pace with a cool down? My home track is a little shorter, but we'll use Spa as the reference @K.Zannos
SB27 (Today)
Old 04-29-2024, 04:09 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Received 1,566 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Zannos
And thank you for the comment!

Cold pressures when we started were set at 2.0bar // 29 psi. After the warm up session they raised close to 2.5bar // 31.9 bar and finally we had them dropped again to 2.0 bar // 29 psi hot.
33-34 psi is already on the high side - although that is the Michelin safety recommendation. So if you are having such pressures after your cool down lap then i would definitely suggest lowering these pressures down.

A good place to aim around is 27.5 psi front and 29 psi rear.

Glad you found it useful
Any like or share of the video anywhere else it can be of help would be a great way to help the channel grow (as it is a new one )

Thank you for watching! Of course you can and no the tires were not sponsored by Nankang!
We already have been using the AR-1 from the past hence the Nankang stickering on our cars.
We are not any more affiliated with Nankang that we are with Michelin (up until now we are using Michelin 4S on an extra set of wheels for rainy days here at Spa) or Goodyear or any other tire brand that is offering a decent product that works well with our business model.

Being a racetrack car rental company means that we always keep on testing products in the market to see how we can optimize our vehicles for our audience. Be it pads, fluids, discs, tires, alignment values.

On our GT4RS we have the AR-1, on one dimension higher (245F / 305R) without any problems and even when running OEM geometry on the car.
The same is possible for the CRS of course but if our sources are correct then the OEM size should becoming available in the next month or so.

Best,
Konstantinos.

That would be awesome, there are so few OEM options out there that are actually good. So far my 2 favorites are the GY SC3 (always vaporware and on back order though) and the Yoko AD09's.

Would love to try the CRS - V2 in OEM sizes
Old 05-01-2024, 06:16 PM
K.Zannos
Advanced

Originally Posted by Taffy66
Great video. How do the AR 1s compare with the CRS ? Also have you compared to the Yokohamas AD09 ?
Being completely honest, after a long winter break this year and not having done any long stints on the AR-1 i, i was asking my self the same question but wasn't able to really tell - remember.
The most recent experience on the AR-1 was doing taxi laps during a Porsche Weekend here but that consisted of 2 hot laps and one cool down.
So the tires were feeling like they were always in peak performance and they wouldn't warm up enough to feel the performance start fading.

And because i don't want to say anything inaccurate, i will keep my thoughts for now and hopefully come back later if i get the chance to drive the AR-1 a bit more.
What i will definitely be coming with are comments regarding the longevity and the tire ware.

As for the AD09, unfortunately i have not driven them at all, so again can't offer any helpful insight.

Originally Posted by Biglife
Konstantinos, I want to express my gratitude for creating such an insightful video. Spa is definitely on my bucket list, and I'll be sure to reach out when I'm ready to hit the track.

I'm curious, based on your experience, what's the best protocol for optimizing tire performance and longevity? Would you recommend something along the lines of: 2 laps to reach temperature, pitting in to adjust the PSI/BAR then waiting a couple of minutes before doing 6-7 laps at pace with a cool down? My home track is a little shorter, but we'll use Spa as the reference @K.Zannos
Thank you for the kind words @Biglife (i am sorry but i don't seem to see your name ) and definitely do reach out when or before you are coming to Spa. My pleasure to help with any way i can.

The protocol above sounds about right and what i describe on the video as well. This is of course a general guideline and it will of course differ as things like laptimes, traffic and track temperature differ.
I always go by feel and the moment i feel the tires starting to drop in performance, i usually am starting to consider going back in. If you are trying to experiment with something or you want to stay out there a bit , a cool down lap and then going for a few more hot laps also helps a lot.

Originally Posted by TRZ06
That would be awesome, there are so few OEM options out there that are actually good. So far my 2 favorites are the GY SC3 (always vaporware and on back order though) and the Yoko AD09's.

Would love to try the CRS - V2 in OEM sizes
Again if my sources are right, we should be having it soon! Let's wait and see until mid summer.

Anyone else having good experience on the AD09 in these cars? Maybe it is worth considering trying a set.
As for the GY, i have a set on wheels now for the GT3RS and looking forward putting down some laps and see how the feel!

Best all,
Konstantinos.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:19 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Being completely honest, after a long winter break this year and not having done any long stints on the AR-1 i, i was asking my self the same question but wasn't able to really tell - remember.
The most recent experience on the AR-1 was doing taxi laps during a Porsche Weekend here but that consisted of 2 hot laps and one cool down.
So the tires were feeling like they were always in peak performance and they wouldn't warm up enough to feel the performance start fading.

And because i don't want to say anything inaccurate, i will keep my thoughts for now and hopefully come back later if i get the chance to drive the AR-1 a bit more.
What i will definitely be coming with are comments regarding the longevity and the tire ware.

As for the AD09, unfortunately i have not driven them at all, so again can't offer any helpful insight.

Thank you for the kind words @Biglife (i am sorry but i don't seem to see your name ) and definitely do reach out when or before you are coming to Spa. My pleasure to help with any way i can.

The protocol above sounds about right and what i describe on the video as well. This is of course a general guideline and it will of course differ as things like laptimes, traffic and track temperature differ.
I always go by feel and the moment i feel the tires starting to drop in performance, i usually am starting to consider going back in. If you are trying to experiment with something or you want to stay out there a bit , a cool down lap and then going for a few more hot laps also helps a lot.

Again if my sources are right, we should be having it soon! Let's wait and see until mid summer.

Anyone else having good experience on the AD09 in these cars? Maybe it is worth considering trying a set.
As for the GY, i have a set on wheels now for the GT3RS and looking forward putting down some laps and see how the feel!

Best all,
Konstantinos.
You have the 100TW SC3 R or the 220TW SC3? I have not tried the SC3R, but LOVE the SC3 and it hits above its 220 TW rating.

As to the AD09's, I am on my 2nd set coming off the SC3's 2 years ago. The AD09's are great, but are an endurance 200TW and thus aren't the grippiest. Their sidewall stiffness is just a tad less than the SC3's (like .5 lb tire pressure different), but WAAAY above both OEM options.

The SC3 seems to be able to carry just a bit more speed in the corners and the sidewalls are just a tad stiffer than the AD09's. The 220TW SC3 was made specifically for the Camaro SS 1LE and ZL1 which weigh close to 4K lbs., so they have the sidewall stiffness built in to handle those heavy cars.

Last edited by TRZ06; 05-01-2024 at 07:27 PM.
Old 05-07-2024, 06:46 PM
K.Zannos
Advanced

Originally Posted by TRZ06
You have the 100TW SC3 R or the 220TW SC3? I have not tried the SC3R, but LOVE the SC3 and it hits above its 220 TW rating.

As to the AD09's, I am on my 2nd set coming off the SC3's 2 years ago. The AD09's are great, but are an endurance 200TW and thus aren't the grippiest. Their sidewall stiffness is just a tad less than the SC3's (like .5 lb tire pressure different), but WAAAY above both OEM options.

The SC3 seems to be able to carry just a bit more speed in the corners and the sidewalls are just a tad stiffer than the AD09's. The 220TW SC3 was made specifically for the Camaro SS 1LE and ZL1 which weigh close to 4K lbs., so they have the sidewall stiffness built in to handle those heavy cars.
Late reply here!

It was the Supersport R tire that i was talking about in my previous post and not the Supercar model.
I am not really sure as to if we can get this tyre here in Europe easily.

Interesting info on the AD09. Certainly will be testing a set in the future to see how they feel.
Do you have any experience with them in wet? Just from the looks i would expect that they do behave nicely.

Thanks,
Konstantinos.
Old 05-07-2024, 07:06 PM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Late reply here!

It was the Supersport R tire that i was talking about in my previous post and not the Supercar model.
I am not really sure as to if we can get this tyre here in Europe easily.

Interesting info on the AD09. Certainly will be testing a set in the future to see how they feel.
Do you have any experience with them in wet? Just from the looks i would expect that they do behave nicely.

Thanks,
Konstantinos.
Yeah, I have no experience with the Supersports.

I drive the AD09's in all weather, but I don't really push it when it is wet out. To me, most 200TW tires are pretty close to each other in the wet (non-standing water). Most of our freeways here have watering channeling, so there isn't much standing water around and I treat all wet days on 200TW tires like I am driving in the snow, so I can't offer much there.

Can't wait for the CR-S V2 though!!!!! I have already put myself on the wait list for them when they are released in July.
Old 05-07-2024, 11:29 PM
ExMB
Rennlist Member

Received 1,330 Likes on 810 Posts

TRZ06 doesn't track but likes to talk about tires for track. All he ever does is canyon driving as well as on/off ramp for US highways. Take his comments with that in mind. Ref his comment posts on this subject matter in the 718 GT4 forum.
Ksdaoski (05-08-2024)
Old 05-08-2024, 01:13 AM
TRZ06
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ExMB
TRZ06 doesn't track but likes to talk about tires for track. All he ever does is canyon driving as well as on/off ramp for US highways. Take his comments with that in mind. Ref his comment posts on this subject matter in the 718 GT4 forum.

Your poor attitude and internet mannerism persists I see.

Did my post at all indicate I was talking about track driving? I obviously was talking about the street and anyone with half a brain would know that. Why do you feel the need to knife and twist every chance you get?

I was having a mini conversation with K. Zannos and you just butted in where it was not needed or useful in any way. Go find something more constructive to do with your time.

Last edited by TRZ06; 05-08-2024 at 01:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Nankang CRS vs Michelin Cup2 Tire Comparison @ Spa Francorchamps