Sponsored by:

Ceika 1M Custom Coilovers for my 2003 996 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2024, 03:38 PM
vtec_
Pro

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Ceika 1M Custom Coilovers for my 2003 996 Turbo

I know there are 996 Turbos out there with these coilovers but the owners are not active on here or 6speed as far as I can see and I think there are 1 or 2 posters on Rennlist who have these on their 996/997s. My car has 96k miles on it at the moment and on the original 21 year old suspension, it creaks and the steering is feeling alittle wonky but I suspect the bolt on the rack may need to be tightened up. I actually think the car handles pretty good and takes corners good but everyone on here said it sucks and a set of coilovers will really make the car come into its own so I am excited tot see what its like! The Bilstein B6/B8s look nice but these coilovers seem to offer a pretty good bang for the buck and ive read positive reviews of them on other platforms (240sx drift cars, maseratis, etc). They were $1,130.50 shipped to me thanks to a 5% discount I received on their website.I am going to look into a set of H&R sway bars next. I know there have been a few inquirys about suspension on here so I figured I'd make a thread so y'all can tag along and we can see how it goes together.

I purchased a set of 1M Custom Coil overs from Ceika this morning and they are in the process of being manufactured as they are custom built for every order.

I chose the following specs from their website.

Configuration Type: Comfort

Coilover Type: Type 1M One-way

Valving: Comfort

Adjustable height range: Low (stock ride height and can go as low as 12MM or 1/2 inch)

Dual Spring Setup: No

Alum Type Plate Types: Rubber Bushings

They come with blue anodizing, but you can specify other colors for extra money, I didn't bother as no one will see it anyways.

On their site they have the following questions when you order.

How would you like the car to feel/height adjustability range?

What do you use your car for so we can fine tune the valving and give advices if needed.

I specified that I would like the car to feel plush but firm, however I am not looking for racecar/gokart like ride quality and ideally it would be somewhere between comfort and sport and the ability to go as low as 1/2 from stock ride height. They offer 4 types of configurations. Comfort,Sport, Pro Race and Custom. I am guessing Sport valving is a dialed back version of their pro race setup but the site isn't too specific.

As far as use goes, the car is mostly used for commuting/spirited driving ( i dont actually commute but im not looking for track car suspension as I do want to take it on road trips) and will see an occasional track day. I am hoping that with the compression clickers turned up all the way or nearly maxed out it will be good enough for a track day but in all honesty, my DC2 integra that I track has new KYB oem replacements and I had no issues tracking it and would have people ask me all the time what mods my car has and they were surprised it was mostly stock with the exception of a 9 lb fly wheel, hoosiers and SS brake lines so I am sure these coilovers will be just fine.

Will keep this thread updated.

I received an email request to confirm what I initially ordered was correct and they are being made as we speak They should be here in 3-5 weeks I believe.

not my actual coilovers but from their website

Last edited by vtec_; 04-09-2024 at 12:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Scrh1 (04-08-2024)
Old 04-08-2024, 04:05 PM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

Received 366 Likes on 257 Posts

They should be good. They look just like the Feals and other Taiwan coil overs. You will need rear toe arms if you plan on going pretty low as there isn't enough adjustment in the eccentric bolt to get it into a spec that won't eat tires along with some camber.
Old 04-08-2024, 04:08 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 788 Posts

These coils get good reviews from owners of other makes, I'm sure they will be great for your use case. They seem to have more or less the same business model as Feal: Taiwanese made components (likely BC) with their own specs and specified quality standards. And I don't mean that in a bad way, BC has proven themselves to be a quality suspension for the price point and is more than adequate for the majority of street cars or even cars that do occasional track days. The majority of the people on this site (probably myself included) couldn't tell the difference between a set of these vs Ohlins vs Motons on a street car.
Old 04-08-2024, 08:26 PM
vtec_
Pro

Originally Posted by Bernard IV
They should be good. They look just like the Feals and other Taiwan coil overs. You will need rear toe arms if you plan on going pretty low as there isn't enough adjustment in the eccentric bolt to get it into a spec that won't eat tires along with some camber.
How low is too low? I was hoping to go GT2 spec or atleast half inch at most. Will this require it?

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
These coils get good reviews from owners of other makes, I'm sure they will be great for your use case. They seem to have more or less the same business model as Feal: Taiwanese made components (likely BC) with their own specs and specified quality standards. And I don't mean that in a bad way, BC has proven themselves to be a quality suspension for the price point and is more than adequate for the majority of street cars or even cars that do occasional track days. The majority of the people on this site (probably myself included) couldn't tell the difference between a set of these vs Ohlins vs Motons on a street car.
Ya, your last point about ohlins/moton is 100% spot on and I agree. High end coilovers dont make sense unless you're serious about racing or money is no object and the majority of people who do track days are no way capable of making 100% use of these cars or any car for that matter.

Old 04-08-2024, 11:52 PM
Scrh1
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 93 Posts

Keep us posted ! I’m looking to upgrade mine soon and look forward to your report on how these work out for you. Thx - scrh1
Old 04-09-2024, 01:36 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

I don't know what the limit is before you start needing it. You will need a whole alignment job as well if you change the height. I would just buy them and slam the car, it looks so much better lowered. I do get a bit of bump steer in the front, only noticeable on a certain corner I take that has a bump in it. There is a bump steer kit for this but I haven't done it. I did a string alignment job on my car and also used a camber gauge. It all turned out awesome.

Last edited by Bernard IV; 04-09-2024 at 01:40 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 08:59 AM
s65e90
Drifting

Received 749 Likes on 522 Posts

Eh, I hope they work out. People seem to love the BC coils. I had the D2 in my car prior and lived in FL, great, flat roads, little potholes. In 2 years the fronts were shot, I realized by finding the inner front tire tread was slightly bumpy, indicative of bad front struts. I tossed them in the trash and went KW and they've been installed now for years. Some of the lower end stuff is okay, but I'm not sure of the longevity of it.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:04 AM
Lazurus
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 61 Posts

Good luck with your coilover experiment. For street driven cars, I would imagine you'd be hard pressed to notice any discernible difference unless perhaps you are planning on street racing. If you're planning on lowering the car below -20mm? you'll definitely need to dial out toe if you'd like save your tires and maximize their life from premature inner tread wear owing to WOT squat. - 40mm+/- or GT2 height? Get some toe links as suggested. You'll need 'em.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:16 AM
vtec_
Pro

Originally Posted by s65e90
Eh, I hope they work out. People seem to love the BC coils. I had the D2 in my car prior and lived in FL, great, flat roads, little potholes. In 2 years the fronts were shot, I realized by finding the inner front tire tread was slightly bumpy, indicative of bad front struts. I tossed them in the trash and went KW and they've been installed now for years. Some of the lower end stuff is okay, but I'm not sure of the longevity of it.
Yup, we will see. If they don't I can always just get a set of B6/B8s and call it a day.

Originally Posted by Lazurus
Good luck with your coilover experiment. For street driven cars, I would imagine you'd be hard pressed to notice any discernible difference unless perhaps you are planning on street racing. If you're planning on lowering the car below -20mm? you'll definitely need to dial out toe if you'd like save your tires and maximize their life from premature inner tread wear owing to WOT squat. - 40mm+/- or GT2 height? Get some toe links as suggested. You'll need 'em.
I guess the real question is..how low can I go without having to get toe links?

Can anyone confirm the GT2 is 10mm lower than the TT?
Old 04-09-2024, 10:18 AM
Lazurus
Racer

Originally Posted by vtec_
Yup, we will see. If they don't I can always just get a set of B6/B8s and call it a day.

I guess the real question is..how low can I go without having to get toe links?

Can anyone confirm the GT2 is 10mm lower than the TT?
-
-20mm max. Just an informed "guess". 158 and 163mm are the ride height specs I have on an old alignment sheet for U.S. Turbo ride heights while 118 and 133mm for GT2. Could be mistaken? But that's what my sheet says and it lists all ride heights for all variants and US as well as Euro spec.

lists 128 and 133mm for X73 which reads correctly as a -30mm drop +/-.

Last edited by Lazurus; 04-09-2024 at 10:27 AM.
Old 04-09-2024, 11:44 AM
Bernard IV
Three Wheelin'

I think Feal is the way to go for the coilovers in this range. The owner of the company was on youtube installing them on a 996 and talking about it. I think he really cares about the quality.
17ram2500 (04-11-2024)
Old 04-09-2024, 11:50 AM
c210rg
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I installed PSS10's and was able to set the car at GT2 height, 118mm and 133mm. I also had the car aligned to GT2 specs without any other mods. Basically a stock suspension except the coilovers. The C4S is the same suspension as the Turbo. Just FYI. Hope that helps.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:17 PM
Lazurus
Racer

^ That's a fortunate if not unusual account vis a vis inner tire tread wear. I've also been at GT2 ride height and grew weary of discarding expensive rear tires long ago, so toe links have been the only thing that has tended to mitigate premature tire wear. But then this is with only dampers and lowering springs so perhaps the "sag" was greater than might have been achieved with properly adjusted coilovers installed. But I doubt it.

Once you get them installed, give them a season or so to monitor how your chosen ride height affects tire wear. I suspect you'll have much the same results as most all on the platform have discovered re "toe", premature rear tread wear and lowered 996 Turbo's. I would set aside the extra 500$/700$ for toe links which be better than a failed $1500.00 "experiment" and might just make the difference you find you "need or want".

I'm sure the coilovers you've ordered will be fine. The tire wear if you do not address "toe"? Not so much.
Old 04-09-2024, 12:41 PM
Third-Reef
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 115 Posts

Just do the toe links. At GT2 height you will not be able to get both good toe and good camber #s. Some alignment shops will fudge both and say it is OK. Just do it right.
Old 04-09-2024, 01:09 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,434 Likes on 788 Posts

The toe links aren't cheap, but they are cheaper than the rear tires you'll have to replace with every oil change if you don't get them.
Scrh1 (04-09-2024)

Quick Reply: Ceika 1M Custom Coilovers for my 2003 996 Turbo