Sponsored By:

Struts from Miessler

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 04:36 PM
958hubsftw
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lightbulb Struts from Miessler

Looking for folks who have experience importing struts from Miessler Automotive in Germany for the 958.1 Cayenne with air suspension, PASM and PDCC.

These are the ones I'm looking at - https://www.miessler-automotive.com/...left-and-right

My front right strut is sagging when left overnight, and I'm planning to replace the strut assembly for both the front left and right, rather than just fixing the air bags (I'm guessing the most likely culprit). Having read many of the discussions on this forum, I'm going with the rebuilt/revised option given the mileage (130K miles) rather than buying new Arnotts or Bilsteins for 2X the price. After chatting with the Miessler representative about getting the rebuilt vs. new Miessler-brand struts, I'm leaning towards the rebuilt ones since they're OEM and supposedly have closer to stock ride quality. A couple questions for folks who have experience with rebuilt struts and specifically Miessler ones.

1. Have you had a good experience with the Miessler rebuilt struts or the Miessler-branded new struts? Any recommendation between the two, or recommendations about Miessler in general?
2. Given that these would be imports from Germany, any one have experience with the customs and import taxes for these? Miessler said that they're familiar with CBP tariffs but not sure about state taxes or anything else needed to import these?
3. While I order and wait for delivery (~2 weeks is their website estimate), is there anything I should be doing to minimize strain on the compressor and struts? I'm minimizing driving it until it's fixed, but there might be the odd Costco/Home Depot run that are much harder in my other cars.

TIA
Old 02-13-2024, 06:25 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,718 Posts

that's an amazing deal for a pair of rebuilt struts. Question is, what's been rebuilt? Just the bags or the damper and bag? You gotta call and find out then return here and let us know.

Last edited by RAudi Driver; 02-13-2024 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:03 PM
958hubsftw
3rd Gear

Agree, these are half the price of Bilsteins or Arnotts. Given my mileage I'm not expecting to own this car for another 120K miles (but who knows!)

From the website and from my emails with the Miessler representatives this is what they confirmed to me:
The item has been completely disassembled, cleaned, and examined for wear and breakage.
Worn out, missing or non-functioning components have been replaced with new or rebuilt components. It is the functional equivalent of a new part and is virtually indistinguishable from a new part.
It is a challenge to re-manufacture this pneumatic strut in the qualitative same way as the original spare part. With masterful performance of our German expert, this was realized.
This replacement part has a warranty of 2 years.
For our Aftermarket products we use the original patented residual pressure valve of the original manufacturer. Replicas will cause a system failure within short time.

So it looks like they will replace the damper and bag depending on what is broken to restore it to like-new performance. In terms of pricing it's on par with Rebuild Master Tech based in FL. RMT's rebuilt struts go for $1000 a pair and have non-transferrable lifetime warranty (Miessler only offers 2 years). https://rebuildmastertech.com/porsch...ion-air-strut/
However, after trying for many weeks with Rebuilt Master Tech (I'd much rather buy American for practical reasons) they don't have inventory and currently only offer rebuilds if I send in my struts.

So I'm looking at Miessler since they have inventory and don't need me to ship my cores back (which gives me the option of self-rebuild as a backup). Fingers crossed! I'll give an update in a few months if all goes smoothly with the shipping and installation.
Old 02-13-2024, 08:38 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 277 Posts

I recently replaced my rears. Looked at bilstein, arnott, miessler and porsche.

Bought arnott only to learn from this forum that the arnotts have a passive strut, pigtail circuit fools the pasm computer, sent them back.

Spent a fair amount of time looking at miessler but not knowing the age and condition of the active strut sent me looking for new. I was not able to confirm if the miessler was active strut or not.

So then i was left with bilstein vs porsche. Porsche won out for me. Just Not a big enough price delta to justify.

In the end, i spent a few more bucks and no regrets.
Old 02-14-2024, 01:17 AM
958hubsftw
3rd Gear

I asked Miessler multiple times if this is an active strut and they confirmed repeatedly that it is. They even confirmed with my VIN that the part number is right. We'll see if it really is active when I get them!

Agree that between Bilstein, Arnott and OEM, it's probably best to go with the OEM for a little more money.
The following users liked this post:
CAVU (02-14-2024)
Old 07-09-2024, 03:39 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Any update son the Miessler units, did you get them 98hubsftw?

Im looking for new shocks primarily, but will do the whole strut assembly for my 955 Turbo, and it seems like Miessler is the best other than OE, as it says and as confirmed above, they are still active dampers with comfort, normal, sport settings, and for the 955 they offer a remanufactured original strut or a new Miessler version. Im going to try and find out more on the differences.

I priced out strut assemblies for a 955 Turbo, and they are over $3000 each strut cause you can no longer by the assembly, you have to buy everything separate, the air spring, the shock, the boot, etc. etc. I really only need the front shocks, but if Im gonna do this I might as well do it all. The shocks themselves are $1600 a piece. The whole front strut assemblies used to be $1300 when they were available.
You guys can probably get the whole assembly since your 958's are newer, so it is still reasonably cost effective vs these Miesslers.

Does Miessler ship to the states or have inventory in the US?

Last edited by Corvetteboy6988; 07-09-2024 at 03:41 PM.
Old 07-09-2024, 05:36 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

I just noticed the remanufactured option is not available per the website, only the new Miessler version.

I emailed them awaiting a response on several questions.
Old 07-10-2024, 01:06 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,718 Posts

I hate these new members who never come full circle.
Old 07-10-2024, 03:00 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

I didnt get most of my questions answered, especially like the US availability or shipping, but its a start:

Miessler Automotive Zentrale

info@miessler-automotive.com
To:
corvetteboy6988@aol.com

Wed, Jul 10 at 2:39 AM

Hello,

Thanks for your request!

FBR0-1P3S-6264: new seals, oil and gas replaced as well as air bag and dust cover. The valves inside are cleaned and checked.

Every part sold is 100% refurbished. Even if we have a core which still is ok we always remanufacture them.

FBN0-C02S-6264: Totally new, produced by our long term supplier. No Porsche parts installed.

Both parts will give all functions of the original parts in terms of comfort and durability. Both also fit without any modifications as they are 100% replacement parts.

3D8EA062Kind Regards,
Jakob Hildenbrand
Logistic Manager
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Racer

Miessler can deliver to the US, no issue!

The remanufactured units have new oil, gas, seals, air spring and dust boot, all else is inspected and remanufactured even if in good working condition. The new air springs with these are a Miessler part. WIsh they were Porsche air springs as my originals from 2005 are still good, and you always here how good Porsche air suspension is compared to most. I believe you might be able to order the struts only, I will ask.

The new units are made by Miessler/their supplier, and everything is new. Its sounds like these are a bit stiffer than the originals, Im assuming in damping. But dont know for sure how much, etc.

The new units are available now, remanufactured ones will be available again in August 2024, so soon.

Im waiting on a quote to see total price plus shipping to the States.

Either of these sounds like great cost effective options that retain the adjustable suspension and original ride quality.

It would be nice to hear from European members who might have already experienced the air strut/spring replacements from Miessler..........
Old Yesterday, 02:23 PM
s65e90
Race Car

Received 822 Likes on 570 Posts

There's been ads on Instagram for a Chinese company who disassembles and rebuilds everything. They have a few videos on Cayennes. Says you need to contact via Whatsapp.
Old Yesterday, 10:12 PM
Nate.Evans
Rennlist Member

Received 200 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by s65e90
There's been ads on Instagram for a Chinese company who disassembles and rebuilds everything. They have a few videos on Cayennes. Says you need to contact via Whatsapp.
there’s a few refurbished ones on eBay. They use the OE shock body and then apparently replace everything else. Anybody have experience with these companies?

Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

Made in China.
Old Yesterday, 10:59 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 599 Likes on 461 Posts

The refurbished eBay struts do work well (taken an old OE strut, supposedly check its function, then rebuild all the seals and airbag with new parts): I've had them in service for quite some time, even on some Cayennes seeing off-road duty, and those struts have been holding up better than the Bilsteins or Arnotts I've had experience with.
Old Yesterday, 11:26 PM
Whitegalaxie
Racer

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts

OEM hold up for 100k or more generally. They are not that expensive to rebuild with genuine Porsche parts which will go another 100k miles. By the time you have paid someone to install cheap parts that will fail quicker you really pay more. Guess it depends if you want to keep the car or drive it for a few thousand miles and then dump it at an auction or trade it

Quick Reply: Struts from Miessler