Old 11-13-2023, 12:02 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Steering wheel and weissach paddles UPGRADE GUIDE

Hello.

I made some guides to help people or technicians disassemble the steering wheels on the latest generation and upgrade either the Weissach magnetic paddles or the carbon fiber trim or move all the components to a new core.This guides will make it easy for anyone from DIY to dealers or tehnicians to they are know exactly what they doing

1. To Upgrade to a Carbon Fiber Trim Cover

1. Take steering wheel off the car (plenty of guides on Youtube).
2. Take all the 5 screws off from the backside of the steering wheel, 2 on the paddles, 3 on the plastic cover.
3. Use a plastic tool and remove the back plastic cover; they come clipped with the front cover, so use the plastic tool between them and at corners.
4. Remove the 4 bigger screws holding the front cover frame.
5. Unscrew the 2 screws holding the chrono drive button; only unscrew a bit until it becomes loose but don't remove, just so the cover frame can be removed.
6. Push the front cover frame from the backside with your fingers until it's removed.
7. Install the new carbon cover frame and install back in reverse steps 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
8. Done

JOB TIME ESTIMATE DIY: 35min

2. To Upgrade to a New Steering Wheel Core. Example: Race-Tex Core + Carbon Fiber Trim Upgrade

1. Take the steering wheel off the car (plenty of guides on Youtube).
2. Take all the 5 screws off from the backside of the steering wheel, 2 on the paddles, 3 on the plastic cover.
3. Use a plastic tool and remove the back plastic cover; they come clipped with the front cover, so use the plastic tool between them and at corners.
4. Remove the 4 bigger screws holding the front cover frame.
5. Remove the 2 screws holding the chrono drive button.
6. Push the front cover frame from the backside with your fingers until it's removed.
7. Remove control buttons' small screws from the backside.
8. Remove the small back screw on the backside of the steering wheel that is holding the control unit module.
9. Remove the 4 big screws from the metal contact plate, unplug the little horn wire from it and take the plate out.
10. Remove the small U metal shape from the 4 columns.
11. Remove the 4 screws from the 2 metal brackets that are holding the controls/buttons.
12. Unplug the controls/buttons from the brackets, remove the brackets from the steering wheel.
13. Unplug the control unit from the center of the steering wheel.
14. Take the complete electric kit out now, buttons+control unit+harness+chrono buttons, NO NEED to unplug any wires etc., just take it as it is and put it on the table.
15. Now the steering wheel is empty but we still have to move the airbag 4 plastic parts. For this, please mark a stripe with a colored marker at 12 o'clock on every one of the four plastic brackets. I guess this is the trickiest part of the job. Use a tubular key or just a good pair of pliers to hold the black plastic cover in place, and on the backside of the steering wheel, you will see they are held in with torx screws. ATTENTION: screw to the RIGHT side to unscrew them. ATTENTION: Remove 1 by 1 and install on the new steering wheel so it's easier and faster so we don't lose or forget positions.
16. Now you need to install the black plastic brackets to the new steering wheel. For this, we will hold them as they were on the old steering wheel, and we will pay attention to the 12 o'clock marker we painted on them and install them on the same exact spots they were before and all with the marker in the same position.
17. Now here's a TIP to not waste any time. Take the metal contact plate we took out at step 9 and test it on the black plastic brackets. It has to slide up and down on them. Tweak them left or right if needed and then screw them tight.
18. Move the fabrics that are glued to the old steering wheel to the new one. You will find many all over the steering wheel; those help the cover frames clip one to another. Not really important but best to move those also.
19. Now it's all done, and you can reverse install 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
20. Job done.

JOB TIME ESTIMATE DIY: 50-70min

3. To Upgrade the Paddle Shifters to WEISSACH Magnetic Paddles

1. Take steering wheel off the car (plenty of guides on Youtube).
2. Remove the 2 screws holding the paddle shifters from the backside of the steering wheel.
3. Remove paddle shifters connectors.
4. Before installing the new Weissach magnetic paddles MAKE SURE you have the rubber o-rings installed on them; if not, just move them from the old paddles. These are important as they don't permit the paddles to wobble and distort the click sound.
5. Plug the connectors back to the paddles; wire harness may seem short but they fit ok. Install paddles on both sides.
6. Screw back the screws on the paddles tight.
7. Install back on the car.
8. Job Done.

Badges on the frames can be replaced also as the center part of the cover frames.Use a small dremel or tool to grind the plastic solders and glue back in with a good fast 2-part glue.

A video guide i found to replace the paddles

JOB TIME ESTIMATE DIY: 20min
```
Attached Images    
The following 6 users liked this post by ProtechpartsEU:
AlterZgo (11-20-2023), Grimz (11-19-2023), kwherrod68 (02-11-2024), Oreos (02-12-2024), Schwarz992C4S (11-19-2023), vg247 (12-07-2023) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-19-2023, 03:25 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

We are now able to assemble steering wheels according to VIN to fit plug and play.If anyone needs any help message us.

SPECIAL DISCOUNT on NEW WEISSACH magnetic paddles available 19.11.23-15.12.23 for Rennlist users
DISCOUNT CODE:SANTARENNLIST
Old 11-19-2023, 08:14 AM
Shogunade
Rennlist Member

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Great write up. Appreciate it. Maybe put up a video for the millennials and people who can't read so good...er...well.
Old 11-20-2023, 11:28 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Shogunade
Great write up. Appreciate it. Maybe put up a video for the millennials and people who can't read so good...er...well.
Pff don t really have time to make videos but we can help with info when needed.In my opinion anyone can install the weissach magnetic paddles on a 992 etc.
Old 11-23-2023, 06:07 PM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks for the install information, do you happen to know the toque for the bolt when you reinstall the steering wheel?
Old 11-23-2023, 08:06 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,371 Posts

Some comments if I may.

Use a grease pencil to mark your steering wheel setting prior to removing. A picture is fine a grease spot is in your face

If any airbag present, disconnect the battery and wait at least 20 minutes to allow capacitors to discharge

When removing an airbag, always face airbag UP; if you wonder why don't work on items where airbags need to be removed.

The steering wheel nut/bolt are not torque to yield, but there is a limit to how many times you can take them on and off. I would think 3 times you should be good. The way I keep track of that (I reverse engineered heated steering wheels on V6 and V8 Touareg) is to center punch a dot on the nut for each time.

IIRC I think the torque is 36ft/lbs, since it's not torque to yield you don't want to go beyond that (meaning quarter or whatever turn beyond).

You need a triple square, do not attempt to use any other tool.

Nice write-up!

siberian

Last edited by siberian; 11-24-2023 at 04:22 AM.
Old 11-24-2023, 12:24 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

[QUOTE=blackland;19128427]Thanks for the install information, do you happen to know the toque for the bolt when you reinstall the steering wheel?[/QUOTE

DIY Best practice is someone holds the steering wheel for you and you tight it up with a 1/2 socket wrench,i would say important is the head to be a good impact black spline torx those are the strongest and you can feel them when you screw to the max.This is DIY method that anyone can do and feel safe,also use a thin paint black marker before to mark the 12 o clock and always put the wheels in straight line.
Old 11-24-2023, 12:36 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by blackland
Thanks for the install information, do you happen to know the toque for the bolt when you reinstall the steering wheel?
Now here’s the profesionall way that even the dealer don’t fully do lol.
-battery terminal off to avoid airbag errors and reset.Put wheels in straight line,remove airbag.Remove screw,mark 12 o clock with a thin fine paint marker.Install new steering wheel.Do this steps after you tested new steering wheel and everything is ok with it so no more installs needed.
Order a new screw for the steering wheel before this and a blue loctite glue for screws.Install new screw with loctite like in the photo.Use a profesionall socket torque with still a good black impact spline head.Max torque maybe 36ft/lbs max not sure,should be in service manuals a good mechanic from porsche can answer this.After installing new steering wheel take the car directly to a workshop or dealer to do a laser wheel alligment.This makes sure new steering wheel and wheels in perfect harmony.Thats all.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:20 AM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Most screws can be re-used two to three times (mark them each time so you can keep track). For the rest see my post above

siberian
Old 11-24-2023, 07:50 AM
blackland
Burning Brakes

Received 437 Likes on 254 Posts

I purchased the new screw from the dealer this week. Only $7, so why not use a new one if you can?
Old 11-24-2023, 07:53 AM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by blackland
I purchased the new screw from the dealer this week. Only $7, so why not use a new one if you can?
yeah,in most cases loctite gkue is more expensive than the screw.I do the same thing on oil changes,always get a new screw every 2 oil changes.
Old 11-24-2023, 04:49 PM
ProtechpartsEU
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Here is the screw part nr on all 992 if anyone needs it
Attached Images  
Old 11-24-2023, 05:43 PM
siberian
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ProtechpartsEU
yeah,in most cases loctite gkue is more expensive than the screw.I do the same thing on oil changes,always get a new screw every 2 oil changes.
The oil pan screw????????????????????????? You do NOT re-use that under ANY circumstance . They're available on Amazon btw

siberian
The following users liked this post:
TK42ONE (11-25-2023)
Old 01-27-2024, 03:04 AM
ed_rx7
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I’m really interested in getting a wheel with paddles from you but I’m just a little undecided. Would you do a custom setup?

Car not here yet but gonna be a slate colour wheel I believe but would like shark blue centre line with shark stich , red GTS logo at the bottom and red drive mode button.

please feel free to DM me so we don’t clog your thread!!!!
Old 02-20-2024, 03:32 PM
go.mouse
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just got a set fitted on GT3.

Anyone feels that the paddle tension / resistance about 20-25% higher than the paddles on a stock GT3RS with WP?

Quick Reply: Steering wheel and weissach paddles UPGRADE GUIDE