Notices

Charger-Maintainer for those looking for a bit more

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2023, 03:31 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 663 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Charger-Maintainer for those looking for a bit more

Having worked in a lab testing batteries and chargers, I have a slew of modern charger-maintainers that most of us have plus some older manual chargers. The engineers at work recommended a Solar Pro-Logix PL2320 charger-maintainer; I wanted something with more features and power over what I had.

Features:
  • 6 and 12 volt battery charging
  • 20/10/2A charge rates
  • 20A fast charge rate is ideal for charging large batteries
  • 0-20A power supply mode to maintain vehicle voltage
  • Fully automatic operation
  • Advanced multi-phase charging process
  • Properly charges all battery types (STD, AGM, GEL)
  • Able to charge even zero volts (totally dead) batteries
  • Soft Start Mode for severely depleted batteries
  • Recondition Mode rejuvenates distressed batteries
  • Enhanced maintenance mode for ideal long-term storage
  • Temperature compensation for more effective charging
  • Reverse polarity protection and battery fault detection
  • Data-rich display provides detailed feedback during charging

Owners Manual

I paid about $130 on Amazon.ca about year ago.
The following users liked this post:
993GT (02-20-2023)
Old 02-19-2023, 10:00 AM
Adamant1971
Rennlist Member

Received 996 Likes on 478 Posts

Looks like a nice unit. Charging from
zero is a big plus.
Old 02-19-2023, 03:25 PM
KM20Turbo
Instructor

Received 103 Likes on 42 Posts

Very nice. I just bought a NOCO that also charges lithium batteries. However it doesn’t have any display so doesn’t give you much info other than when battery is fully charged.
Old 02-19-2023, 04:34 PM
pfitzsim
Burning Brakes

Received 186 Likes on 132 Posts

Thanks for sharing Alex. I’ll keep this in mind if/when my CTEK gives up the ghost and/or I buy another car - which requires buying a bigger garage!!
Old 02-19-2023, 05:15 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Adamant1971
Looks like a nice unit. Charging from zero is a big plus.
Yes most chargers need a minimum voltage to operate, not this one.

I like the fact that it has the Power Supply mode which comes in handy when doing any servicing on the vehicle.

The other features are handy for the battery of friends and neighbours like a fast charge. I never seem to have battery issues myself. Plus I like tools and test equipement.

There are plenty of positive YouTube videos on it.

Back in the day when I worked there before retiring, the best charger by far was the Xantrex TrueCharge 2, their 20A model with the optional remote panel. Mainly meant for yachts and RVs as there are no input or output cords. You need to wire them in yourself.
Old 02-20-2023, 09:10 PM
993GT
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 340 Posts

it is a nice working unit
Old 02-20-2023, 11:47 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I been happy with my Dewalt DXAEC801B Battery Charger. I have many noco's for trickle charges for all the toys but I like the Dewalt since it can do 30A and battery reconditioning
Old 02-21-2023, 04:51 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993GT
it is a nice working unit
I take it you have one as well. It has all the right features.

When I worked in a government lab, we got to test plenty of chargers and charger-maintainers and most of them promise you the world when you read the features on the packaging. I only trust what I tested. Mind you, my ex-coworkers tested this unit and recommended it over the chargers sold by CTC, so I bought one.

Working with batteries, I don't much believe in battery reconditioning, especially if the battery sat on the basement floor for 3+ years. It was a standard U1 used in my snowblower. Charged it up and did a load test. Damn. Anyway, I still do not believe in desulphating a battery and hoping for great results.
Old 04-27-2024, 03:43 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Any charger that only comes with alligator clamps isn't exactly plug 'n play if you want to connect it to the power port in the vehicle or the usual SAE or brand-specific connectors found on some chargers, like my older CTEK and maybe they have switched to a commonly used SAE connector as well by now.

A simple mod on a great charger using quality Deutsch DTP 2-Pin (25A continuous capability for a 20A charger) connectors...

And those connectors took care of how I now use my SOLAR PRO-LOGIX PL2320...

And an extra long Deutsch DTP - SAE extension cable...

By the way, according to Clore Automotive, the manufacturers of the SOLAR PRO-LOGIX PL2320, any unit manufactured to the end of 2023 had selectable charging for a GEL, AGM and STD battery (still shows that on Amazon.ca - April 2024). So for those that use GEL batteries on boats, etc, if they are still available, great. Those after that date were selectable for STD, AGM, LiFe.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:02 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts

Eric on South Main Auto (YouTube) uses that one daily.....

Me, I bought this one 2 yrs ago, but only for a dead battery on the q7.... son uses it a handful of times during the summer for his deepcycle trolling motor battery... I don't know if i trust it to maintain unattended at my storage location for the whole winter.... I have a Harbor Freight wallwart, and a Cdn Tire one for the miata and boxster for the winter.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:09 PM
petee_c
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Working with batteries, I don't much believe in battery reconditioning, especially if the battery sat on the basement floor for 3+ years. It was a standard U1 used in my snowblower. Charged it up and did a load test. Damn. Anyway, I still do not believe in desulphating a battery and hoping for great results.

Not sure if it works either, however I do have a lawnmower battery from 2018 that still works. I usually don't take it out of the lawnmower until Feb/March and stick this on it with the maintainer attached. Lasts the whole mowing season without needing a boost. However, when the lawnmower is off, I don't there is any draw on the battery if everything is working correctly.

I tried it on a dead/dying car battery from one of the VW's and checked the acid level in the cells etc... Not sure if it added any life to those.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:11 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by petee_c
Eric on South Main Auto (YouTube) uses that one daily.....
The mechanic near the Finger Lakes in NY state? One of the really good techs out there. Love watching his videos and checking how well he does things and the details he goes into. Spot on!

As for the SOLAR PRO-LOGIX PL2320, even though I never seem to have battery issues and my conventional batteries last 15 years +/-, I wanted one that had some current range & capability...as in 2A, 10A and 20A, the latter if I was in a bind and was in a hurry. Good for the motorcycle to the largest car battery.
petee_c (04-28-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 10:16 AM
vetfever
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
Any charger that only comes with alligator clamps isn't exactly plug 'n play if you want to connect it to the power port in the vehicle or the usual SAE or brand-specific connectors found on some chargers, like my older CTEK and maybe they have switched to a commonly used SAE connector as well by now.

A simple mod on a great charger using quality Deutsch DTP 2-Pin (25A continuous capability for a 20A charger) connectors...

And those connectors took care of how I now use my SOLAR PRO-LOGIX PL2320...

And an extra long Deutsch DTP - SAE extension cable...

By the way, according to Clore Automotive, the manufacturers of the SOLAR PRO-LOGIX PL2320, any unit manufactured to the end of 2023 had selectable charging for a GEL, AGM and STD battery (still shows that on Amazon.ca - April 2024). So for those that use GEL batteries on boats, etc, if they are still available, great. Those after that date were selectable for STD, AGM, LiFe.
Would love a tad more info on this. Are you suggesting one of those connectors is installed in the dash or somewhere else in the interior to create a plug-n-play situation?
Old 04-29-2024, 11:20 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vetfever
Would love a tad more info on this. Are you suggesting one of those connectors is installed in the dash or somewhere else in the interior to create a plug-n-play situation?
No, the plug 'n play situation is so that I can use the charger that only comes with alligator clamps which would not be handy for many of us, so that we can connect an SAE cable to it so that I can use the existing SAE pigtails that are attached to my battery in the car. Many charger/maintainers now use an SAE connector...Battery Tender, Optimate, etc. Some companies like CTEK use their own connector.

My mod now lets me connect to the SAE pigtail I installed back when I bought my car. Some owners like to the use the charge port in the car; I don't.

And this cable lets me do it after I installed a Deutsch connector...(actually you can use any connector as long as it meets the current capability of the charger).

I have enough low-power single-rate chargers (CTEK, OPTIMATE, YUASA, Harbor Freight, Canadian Tire) including a very simple half or full wave 6A charger I bought at Consumers Distributing if you can remember them. And for roughy the cost of a CTEK, Optimate, etc single rate chargers I might as well buy one that has 3 charge rates and tons of features that others do not have and one that is well rated.
Old 04-29-2024, 11:31 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,060 Likes on 756 Posts

i certainly like to have a non locking connector to the charger......

id be embarrased to state the number of times i have backed out with the battery still connected to the charger.
vetfever (04-29-2024)

Quick Reply: Charger-Maintainer for those looking for a bit more