Porsche Baby Seat i-Size

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 02:13 PM
NikkiSixxPA
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Porsche Baby Seat i-Size

Hi all,

I’ve read through many of the old child seat threads and they were very helpful. I’m currently using an Aton 2 rear facing in my 991.2 Targa 4 GTS.

Overall it fits very well, the base is rock solid and it fits the shape of the rear seats nicely. The front passenger seat is still usable but it’s tight. Short trips (less than 30 minutes) are fine, but beyond that we’re probably pushing it.

Porsche recently (2020) came out with a few new child seat options. Most interesting to me, the “Porsche Baby Seat i-Size”

I haven’t been able to find any examples of Porsche owners sharing feedback or experiences with the new infant seat. Has anyone tried it in a 991? My Aton 2 works, but if there’s more passenger leg room to be had, then I want it! Anyone try these yet?

New generation of child seats: exemplary safety for the youngest Porsche fans

Old 08-10-2022, 09:12 PM
NCheok
Rennlist Member

Received 768 Likes on 452 Posts
Question

If your dealer is kind enough, they will order one in for you and "attempt" to fit it in your car.

If it fits, you pay and everyone is happy.

If it doesn't fit, you walk away and nobody is none the wiser.

At least that was the courtesy my dealer extended to me when I tried to buy this and attempted to have it fitted in LWBs as there was simply no answers anywhere.
Old 08-10-2022, 09:49 PM
Andy515
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 81 Posts

I have the child i-seat (front facing toddler seat) in my 991.1 and it fits great. Plenty of room in front for my wife and it fits perfectly in the seat. It is actually the Britex roamer which you can only get in Europe so it is designed to fit smaller cars. It is very well made and with the Porsche branding my daughter thinks it is cool
The following users liked this post:
NCheok (08-12-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 08:14 PM
E39to911
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Did anyone ever determine if the rear facing, i-Size, fits in a 991 white retaining ‘some’ use of the front seat?

thanks!
Old 11-14-2022, 08:59 PM
Andy515
Racer

Received 195 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by E39to911
Did anyone ever determine if the rear facing, i-Size, fits in a 991 white retaining ‘some’ use of the front seat?

thanks!
I would imagine it would. I used the rear facing clek liing car seat with mine and it left barely enough room for my 5’3” wife. The i-seats are on the smaller side in general as they are rebranded euro britex seats.
Old 03-09-2023, 02:13 PM
gyh
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 20 Posts

I wasn't able to find any photos of real-world installs of the Porsche Kid Seat so I took the plunge and ordered one. Below are my initial thoughts and a comparison to a Nuna Rava. Note that both of these installs are with the seat bottoms out of the back and with the install of the "Stowage Compartment" to cover the bolts and carpet edges exposed by the removal of the seat bottoms (991-551-247-83-5Q0, around $60 + shipping - the fact that it's called Stowage Compartment is a bit hilarious as it's not really capable of stowing anything bigger than a phone). Also, as an aside, removing the rear seat bottom led to an ultra annoying spingy rattle sound coming from the seatbelts. My temporary solve was to keep them buckled but I may remove them entirely as it's unlikely anyone other than my kid will ride back there and the belt is not needed for him until he gets into a booster seat.

When I got my car a few weeks ago I installed the Nuna Rava that we already had. The fit was *ok*. Above all it seemed safe for temporary use but it wasn't ideal. You can see in the photo that the Nuna didn't sit level in the space of the rear seat (which was ultimately the reason I decided to order the Porsche seat), but it felt very secure and didn't move around. I also tried removing the seatback of the 991 to see if it would create more room and, while it did create more room, there wasn't enough support for the seat and it would wobble around in a way that was unacceptable to me so I put them back. My kid (about 33-34 inches tall and 27 lbs) fit back there just fine in it and my 5'8" wife was able to fit comfortably in the front seat. If you have a Rava and don't want to buy a new seat, I think you could get away with it but if you're choosing seats for the back of the car, go for the Porsche seat.

Pulling the Porsche Car Seat out of the box, it comes as described (and the fact that it's a rebranded Britax Romer isn't subtle - it comes in a Britax box and sealed with Britax Romer tape). Materials are nice and the design is slick. I was a bit concerned that it wasn't going to fit any better than the Nuna but it wasn't until I put them side-by-side that I noticed that the Porsche seat is noticeably smaller. The Nuna just has a bigger profile and the back of the seat has rounder and smoother edges. The back of the Porsche seat is all business, but in this application that's a positive and I think is the key to its better fit. I would recommend a seat protector to protect the leather from some of the rough edges and sharp corners of the back of the Porsche seat. The Nuna does have some features that I like more than the Porsche seat but no deal breakers:
  • The height adjustment on the Nuna is easier to use and can be done while the seat is installed; on the Porsche seat you need to access the back of the seat to change height.
  • The buckle on the Porsche seat is a bit fussy. You need to connect each side of the buckle together before clipping in whereas on the Nuna you can just clip in each side of the buckle independently.
  • There are 5 recline settings on the Nuna compared to 3 on the Porsche seat, but in the back of the 991 I'm not sure you can recline much or at all in either seat.
  • The Porsche seat also does not have a rear-facing install option, which means it's a no-go if your kid is very young. The manual says it can be installed rear facing only if the seat itself is rear-facing, which obviously doesn't apply to the 991.
  • There's a legrest that extends on the Nuna that the Porsche seat does not have.
  • The Nuna also has cupholders but frankly I don't plan on my kid having too many liquids in the back of the car so fine by me!

One thing I really like about the Porsche seat over the Nuna is the LATCH connection. There's a bar with LATCH connectors that extend out from the back of the seat, which make it easy to connect inside the car. Once connected, you push the seat back and it ratchets into place (you push the seat into place but it will not come back toward you unless you pull a lever on either side to release the system). The Nuna LATCH system is flimsier. Just two LATCH connectors attached to a seatbelt that is strung through the seat.

The install is easy and straightforward. The LATCH system and the top tether connects easily. Once installed, the seat feels rock solid and the whole application feels very OEM. I think there will be noticeably more room for front passengers as compared to the Nuna seat so I'm happy with the purchase and would recommend it to all the 991-driving moms and dads!
The following 3 users liked this post by gyh:
awpsome (03-24-2023), edirtaynine (05-12-2023), El_Tigre (03-09-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 06:10 AM
awpsome
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gyh
I wasn't able to find any photos of real-world installs of the Porsche Kid Seat so I took the plunge and ordered one. Below are my initial thoughts and a comparison to a Nuna Rava. Note that both of these installs are with the seat bottoms out of the back and with the install of the "Stowage Compartment" to cover the bolts and carpet edges exposed by the removal of the seat bottoms (991-551-247-83-5Q0, around $60 + shipping - the fact that it's called Stowage Compartment is a bit hilarious as it's not really capable of stowing anything bigger than a phone). Also, as an aside, removing the rear seat bottom led to an ultra annoying spingy rattle sound coming from the seatbelts. My temporary solve was to keep them buckled but I may remove them entirely as it's unlikely anyone other than my kid will ride back there and the belt is not needed for him until he gets into a booster seat.

When I got my car a few weeks ago I installed the Nuna Rava that we already had. The fit was *ok*. Above all it seemed safe for temporary use but it wasn't ideal. You can see in the photo that the Nuna didn't sit level in the space of the rear seat (which was ultimately the reason I decided to order the Porsche seat), but it felt very secure and didn't move around. I also tried removing the seatback of the 991 to see if it would create more room and, while it did create more room, there wasn't enough support for the seat and it would wobble around in a way that was unacceptable to me so I put them back. My kid (about 33-34 inches tall and 27 lbs) fit back there just fine in it and my 5'8" wife was able to fit comfortably in the front seat. If you have a Rava and don't want to buy a new seat, I think you could get away with it but if you're choosing seats for the back of the car, go for the Porsche seat.

Pulling the Porsche Car Seat out of the box, it comes as described (and the fact that it's a rebranded Britax Romer isn't subtle - it comes in a Britax box and sealed with Britax Romer tape). Materials are nice and the design is slick. I was a bit concerned that it wasn't going to fit any better than the Nuna but it wasn't until I put them side-by-side that I noticed that the Porsche seat is noticeably smaller. The Nuna just has a bigger profile and the back of the seat has rounder and smoother edges. The back of the Porsche seat is all business, but in this application that's a positive and I think is the key to its better fit. I would recommend a seat protector to protect the leather from some of the rough edges and sharp corners of the back of the Porsche seat. The Nuna does have some features that I like more than the Porsche seat but no deal breakers:
  • The height adjustment on the Nuna is easier to use and can be done while the seat is installed; on the Porsche seat you need to access the back of the seat to change height.
  • The buckle on the Porsche seat is a bit fussy. You need to connect each side of the buckle together before clipping in whereas on the Nuna you can just clip in each side of the buckle independently.
  • There are 5 recline settings on the Nuna compared to 3 on the Porsche seat, but in the back of the 991 I'm not sure you can recline much or at all in either seat.
  • The Porsche seat also does not have a rear-facing install option, which means it's a no-go if your kid is very young. The manual says it can be installed rear facing only if the seat itself is rear-facing, which obviously doesn't apply to the 991.
  • There's a legrest that extends on the Nuna that the Porsche seat does not have.
  • The Nuna also has cupholders but frankly I don't plan on my kid having too many liquids in the back of the car so fine by me!

One thing I really like about the Porsche seat over the Nuna is the LATCH connection. There's a bar with LATCH connectors that extend out from the back of the seat, which make it easy to connect inside the car. Once connected, you push the seat back and it ratchets into place (you push the seat into place but it will not come back toward you unless you pull a lever on either side to release the system). The Nuna LATCH system is flimsier. Just two LATCH connectors attached to a seatbelt that is strung through the seat.

The install is easy and straightforward. The LATCH system and the top tether connects easily. Once installed, the seat feels rock solid and the whole application feels very OEM. I think there will be noticeably more room for front passengers as compared to the Nuna seat so I'm happy with the purchase and would recommend it to all the 991-driving moms and dads!
Hey @gyh , thanks for taking the plunge! This looks promising, you mind verifying which car seat and where you bought it from? how long it took to deliver? I found a listing on suncoast (https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/skuchb.html) but the car seat photo looks different from the car seat you posted.

If you have a chance, can you post a photo to show how much space the front passenger has with the car seat installed? Thanks!

Last edited by awpsome; 03-24-2023 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-24-2023, 06:14 AM
awpsome
Intermediate

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy515
I have the child i-seat (front facing toddler seat) in my 991.1 and it fits great. Plenty of room in front for my wife and it fits perfectly in the seat. It is actually the Britex roamer which you can only get in Europe so it is designed to fit smaller cars. It is very well made and with the Porsche branding my daughter thinks it is cool
Would you mind sharing a photo of your child i seat? Did you buy it through suncoast? Thanks!
Old 05-10-2023, 11:38 PM
BOCKTAGON
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Older thread I know but does anyone have an I size they are no longer using? Looking to get one for my daughter.
Old 05-11-2023, 03:38 PM
K C
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

infants need to be in rear facing so that won't work in north america. Front facing there's a lot of options, I use WayB and no issues whatsoever and lots of room. Very portable and we use it for travel
Old 07-01-2023, 12:22 AM
gyh
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by awpsome
Hey @gyh , thanks for taking the plunge! This looks promising, you mind verifying which car seat and where you bought it from? how long it took to deliver? I found a listing on suncoast (https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/skuchb.html) but the car seat photo looks different from the car seat you posted.

If you have a chance, can you post a photo to show how much space the front passenger has with the car seat installed? Thanks!
Sorry for the delayed reply! I bought this: https://www.getporschesilverspringpa...U0VPIFBhZ2U%3D

Delivered within a week or two.

I don't have any photos with people in the car but my wife is 5'8" and she rides with no complaints at all with our fairly tall (~35") toddler behind her. My dad who is 6'4" (double hip replacement in April) has also ridden in that seat for an hour or so post-surgery and was fine.

Last edited by gyh; 07-01-2023 at 12:24 AM.
Old 07-01-2023, 08:17 PM
Otakugamer
Advanced

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by gyh

I don't have any photos with people in the car but my wife is 5'8" and she rides with no complaints at all with our fairly tall (~35") toddler behind her. My dad who is 6'4" (double hip replacement in April) has also ridden in that seat for an hour or so post-surgery and was fine.
Child seat or not, any old man 6’4” who can ride in a 911 for an hour post hip replacement surgery deserves a medal. (Unless you mean post recovery, in which case the new hip appears to have served its purpose) 😄
The following users liked this post:
gyh (07-05-2023)
Old 05-02-2024, 02:39 PM
racefox
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adding to this as I am a big fan of the Kids seat from Porsche.

Purchased the Porsche Kids seat about 6 months ago from my dealership. Fit perfectly into my latest gen Macan using the Latch system. Our child loves the head rest, which offers much more stability compared to a WAYB.

I recently purchased a 997.1. No Latch in the back, so initially was worried that I could not use the seat. But there is an option to use the anchor in the back, and the belt system to fix the seat. Works like a charm. Takes a bit of painful maneuvering to install, but once in the car, it is a perfect solution. That is despite the smaller footprint of the 997 model generation. Ask me any questions if you need help!

Here is the current issue… I’m looking to source a second one of these seats as I need one for the Macan. Can no longer be found in the US. Unavailable on Porsche and Suncoast website, and dealerships telling me that Porsche might be “changing suppliers”, i.e. move away from Britax? It is also not advisable to purchase this in Europe and have it shipped - since the European models, setting aside certification issues, don’t seem to have the ability to use seat belt. They only work with i-seat latch mechanism and top anchor, and don’t have the opening in the back to pull seat belt through.

If someone is looking to sell their US i-kids seat, please ping me!

Quick Reply: Porsche Baby Seat i-Size