Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antigravity battery - recent experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2022, 10:32 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Antigravity battery - recent experiences?

I'm coming up on 6 years with my oem battery and I'm thinking it's on its way out the door. Was thinking about getting an Antigravity battery, but not sure if I need H6 or H7. I'm leaning toward the higher amp-hour models, since it's a daily driver and I have a full aftermarket stereo in it (although I never sit and play it with the engine off), but not sure it's necessary. Any experiences with reliability good or bad? Also anything to watch out for during the install?

If there's a labor day sale or a black friday sale, I'll pick one up then.
Old 08-05-2022, 01:25 PM
Antigravity
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,054 Likes on 592 Posts

I'll answer a few questions in terms of the technical side of thing for you...

-As far as H6 vs H7... both fit equally as well in terms of physical fitment being that Porsche has a Battery Tray that fits the H6, H7, or H8 sizes...

-H6 is the most popular size when comparing H6 vs H7. The H6 in comparison to an H7 is the exact same depth (front to back), the exact same Height, and only the LENGTH is different between the two with the H7 being 1.5" LONGER (left to right)

-H6 is the most popular size for Antigravity and I think that is becuase it a little more compact than the H7, but secondly they are both the exact same battery pack and BMS inside the Battery when the Amp Hours are the same. So most go with a more compact model.

-H7 is also chosen when people want to keep the same format as the existing battery or when they don't have the adjustable battery tray like Porsche offers...

-40 Amp Hours is the sort of "go-to" size for everyday typical driving.... As you state, you have a larger stereo in the Car.... as your probably aware as you start to power on the Amps/crank the stereo, the Amplifiers start to draw quite a large amount of energy, and while lithium can handle that very well, the fact is sometimes the charging systems in the Cars Charging cannot make up for sustained high current draws from bigger stereos, so the battery has to provide a bit of that energy to support the spike created by the low frequency bass notes if you play stuff with alot of low-end at volume.... so it would be suggested to go up to 60Ah if you do use your stereo alot at higher volumes or play it with the key off. The other factor is if you crank the stereo alot and are discharging the battery below what the computers system thinks is good in Porsche they tend to throw flags. So be aware of that side of things, you do want overhead Amp Hours when high draw accessories are added.

- As far as the install you can do a straight swap, I did that many times on my GT3, but we'll let others explain how it worked for those who actually own the exact car you do. YOu do not have to change to a Lithium Setting or Register the battery.

-We have some sale coming up I think in early Sept but I can check the dates. It for one of the upcoming hoidays... Then we will have a black friday sale in that end of November time.

The following users liked this post:
various cheeses (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 02:30 PM
various cheeses
Racer

Thanks for the reply, you guys are quick. I can probably get away with the 60, since the stereo has a single amp running everything, no massive subwoofers.

How many Ah is the stock battery?
Old 08-05-2022, 04:19 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 649 Likes on 240 Posts

I bought an Antigravity H6 30Ah battery almost exactly a year ago. Haven't thought about it much since I installed it. Don't need to treat the car any differently than I did with the OEM battery.

I live in Arizona and drive the car daily with very few exceptions. If I lived somewhere colder or did not drive the car often I would've gone for a higher Ah capacity.
various cheeses (08-05-2022)
Old 08-05-2022, 06:26 PM
ICNU
Pro

Received 423 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by various cheeses
Thanks for the reply, you guys are quick. I can probably get away with the 60, since the stereo has a single amp running everything, no massive subwoofers.

How many Ah is the stock battery?
My factory AGM was 70Ah, but some came with 80Ah. 70 is more common for most based on reports from others over the years, so it could have just been whatever they had available at the time of the build, or possibly a regional thing depending on climate?

Last edited by ICNU; 08-05-2022 at 06:29 PM.
Old 08-06-2022, 09:01 AM
CaptainSlowly
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I have the H6 60Ah that I installed on my 981CS in spring. I did not register the new battery with the car, just a straight swap for the OEM battery and I haven’t had any issues since then
ElCid86 (08-08-2022)
Old 08-08-2022, 09:38 AM
various cheeses
Racer

Do you lose all your seat settings, or do you get a short amount of time before it clears the memory?
Old 08-08-2022, 09:50 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by various cheeses
Do you lose all your seat settings, or do you get a short amount of time before it clears the memory?
I didn't do anything fancy in terms of keeping the car on auxiliary power while doing the swap and had no hiccups afterwards.
The following 2 users liked this post by nhnguy12:
ElCid86 (08-08-2022), various cheeses (08-08-2022)
Old 11-21-2022, 12:53 PM
various cheeses
Racer

Bumping this since the time has nearly come. Worth investing in a trickle charger? I've kept my stock battery on a CTEK when not in use for over 24h. Obviously overkill, but the battery has worked fine for over 6 years now.
Old 11-21-2022, 03:41 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 352 Likes on 239 Posts

Not overkill. Using the Ctek from day one is precisely why you’ve had no problems. I’d expect more than 6 years if maintained regularly (assuming car is garaged, not left out in cold weather).
Old 11-21-2022, 04:54 PM
6mmamer
Advanced

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

I went 8 years on the OEM battery. Changed it out just because it was 8 years old not because there was a problem. Simple swap to an H7 AGM. No loss of settings.
Old 11-21-2022, 04:54 PM
various cheeses
Racer

Originally Posted by BondJ
Not overkill. Using the Ctek from day one is precisely why you’ve had no problems. I’d expect more than 6 years if maintained regularly (assuming car is garaged, not left out in cold weather).
It got some cold nights back when I was on night shift, but it's always been garaged. The start/stop hasn't been working reliably on the few times I manually activate it, so I'm thinking it's due for a change.
Old Yesterday, 10:17 PM
rr_gts
Instructor

Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts

@various cheeses Did you end up getting the Antigravity battery?

Looking for any feedback or experiences on how these have held up to daily and/or track use?
Old Yesterday, 10:37 PM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nhnguy12
I bought an Antigravity H6 30Ah battery almost exactly a year ago. Haven't thought about it much since I installed it. Don't need to treat the car any differently than I did with the OEM battery.

I live in Arizona and drive the car daily with very few exceptions. If I lived somewhere colder or did not drive the car often I would've gone for a higher Ah capacity.
Originally Posted by rr_gts
@various cheeses Did you end up getting the Antigravity battery?

Looking for any feedback or experiences on how these have held up to daily and/or track use?
Rounding about 3 years now with my Antigravity H6 30Ah battery. I've driven the car ~80k miles since installing the battery. I honestly forget I have it installed unless someone asks me what I've done to the car (and I usually forget to mention the battery about half the time). I didn't buy their fancy monitoring system and I have never once hooked up the car to a trickle charger even if I'm traveling for a couple weeks. Very boring in the best way possible.
rr_gts (Yesterday)

Quick Reply: Antigravity battery - recent experiences?