958 Head Unit Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2022, 06:45 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Lightbulb 958 Head Unit Upgrades

*Wish we could make some of these Sticky threads!*

Figured I'd start another thread focused solely on aftermarket head unit upgrades. I personally just went through the headache of trying to go the "retrofit" route with the GTA Car Kit module for Android Auto integration with the factory OEM head unit etc. You can check my build thread for that if you want. Needless to say, it didn't work. It's virtually the same exact unit as some el-cheapo kit on Alibaba with Chinese lettering all over it, just rebranded with GTA Car Kits logo/interface. Same thing with the Joyeauto unit. They're all the same probably. I had my interior torn apart 3-4x trying to get that GTA kit to work. I once got it to turn on and I was so excited. That lasted all of about 15 minutes. Sadly now, GTA Car Kits isn't being the most responsive to my requests for a return & refund.

I'd rather put the $600 I wasted on that kit towards a different aftermarket head unit solution now. I figure $600 is a decent amount to be able to find a quality head unit that meets my needs. The most important things I'm looking for are:
  • Sound quality (hoping an aftermarket solution has a better internal DAC)
  • Android Auto (wired is fine, wireless just a bonus)
  • Screen quality (touchscreen feedback)

I don't need the fanciest unit with like a 4k screen lol. I don't think I can consider myself or qualify as a true "audiophile", but I'd like to. If I had all the money in the world, surely one of my main investments would be in quality audio listening equipment. So, that is probably the most important. I'm fully aware that if I wanted a true car audiophile setup, that would probably require a complete package: head unit, amp, speakers and professional EQ tuning/adjustment. I'm not at THAT level yet. I just want a quality head unit that FITS in our 958 OEM setup, has a decent quality responsive touchscreen, and if anything is at least a slight upgrade in audio quality over the stock unit.

There seem to be so so many options and I don't know where to start. Brands I've had in the past or know they are high quality (or used to be?): Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood etc....

Hoping to hear from anyone who's done anything like this to their 958 (or any Cayenne or any Porsche really). One last concern I have is for anyone who's gone with a full head unit replacement, what happened to the vehicle settings you access through the main stock head unit? I understand you can adjust some stuff through one of the gauge cluster menus with steering wheel controls. But it doesn't seem to encompass the other settings you can adjust on the PCM.

Thoughts, feelings, opinions, advice, reviews?

Last edited by lml999; 04-09-2022 at 10:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
riteoff (02-14-2023)
Old 04-09-2022, 10:12 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 520 Posts

Lets keep this focused on head units. Car audio is a separate, large, conversation.
ElSpoon958 (04-10-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 11:40 AM
PbCTTv8500
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The head unit doesn’t do much in the way of audio quality it’s more of a driver.

I have successfully added CarPlay and Android auto (wireless) to my PCM 3.1. Check out Alibaba for the box.

this keeps the stock look and functionality of the OEM equipment.

as stated above check out audio retrofit forums to discover more on what others have done.
Old 04-10-2022, 12:06 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll be following this thread out of curiosity, but here's what we did to finally achieve a simple, consistent, trouble free Car Play experience for the wife.

- Install iSudar kit. There's a massive thread already that covers everything in depth.
- Disable the BT connection to the iSudar add-on.
- install ProClip 958 vehicle mount and wired usb iPhone 13 device holder.
- Reconnect iPhone to PCM BT.

Now when she gets in the car, the PCM picks up her BT connection for phone calls. This resolved all echoing issues she was having. She then simply slides her phone into the phone holder and Carplay instantly pops up on screen. As long as I didn't drive the car and change anything, it just works every time. Waze and Sirius are good to go and all of the OEM features are there from the radio. Not sure if you're looking for more than just Nav and Music, but if that's all your after, this is just a few hundred all in and about an hour of your time.
The following 2 users liked this post by Topshelf:
ElSpoon958 (04-10-2022), Monetizer (03-02-2023)
Old 04-10-2022, 02:18 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by PbCTTv8500
The head unit doesn’t do much in the way of audio quality it’s more of a driver.

I have successfully added CarPlay and Android auto (wireless) to my PCM 3.1. Check out Alibaba for the box.

this keeps the stock look and functionality of the OEM equipment.

as stated above check out audio retrofit forums to discover more on what others have done.
Maybe you didn't read my first post in this thread... lol been there, done that, got the t-shirt. The cheap chinese rebranded retrofit crap did not work for me.
Old 04-10-2022, 02:20 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by Topshelf
I'll be following this thread out of curiosity, but here's what we did to finally achieve a simple, consistent, trouble free Car Play experience for the wife.

- Install iSudar kit. There's a massive thread already that covers everything in depth.
- Disable the BT connection to the iSudar add-on.
- install ProClip 958 vehicle mount and wired usb iPhone 13 device holder.
- Reconnect iPhone to PCM BT.

Now when she gets in the car, the PCM picks up her BT connection for phone calls. This resolved all echoing issues she was having. She then simply slides her phone into the phone holder and Carplay instantly pops up on screen. As long as I didn't drive the car and change anything, it just works every time. Waze and Sirius are good to go and all of the OEM features are there from the radio. Not sure if you're looking for more than just Nav and Music, but if that's all your after, this is just a few hundred all in and about an hour of your time.
Yea once again, that's not going to work for me. It's the same crap, different day. iSudar, GTA Car Kit, JoyeAuto, they're all the same Chinese Alibaba crap. I've had my dash and PCM torn apart for 3-4x over 2 days straight. Sick of it. Only to get it to work for 15 minutes. Woohoo. No thanks. Not again.

Last edited by ElSpoon958; 04-10-2022 at 02:21 PM.
Old 04-10-2022, 06:18 PM
lml999
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 731 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by ElSpoon958
been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
Wait, you got a t-shirt? I never get t-shirts for my trips to WasteOTImeLand.
The following 3 users liked this post by lml999:
dollarlongnecks (04-11-2022), mallenbiker (03-19-2024), UNYboater (03-13-2023)
Old 04-10-2022, 06:34 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Originally Posted by lml999
Wait, you got a t-shirt? I never get t-shirts for my trips to WasteOTImeLand.
😂😂😂 I know right?! I can share some extras with other members here if so desired 😆

Back on topic: just left 1 of the only TWO total Best Buy locations in the major Denver area that still do car audio installs. That but I imagine the market for that is dying down. Especially with factory stereos already coming with CarPlay and Android Auto.

Needless to say it was another wasted trip. I need to come back and find the guys who actually do the physical installation of aftermarket head units and pick their brains.

Because the other blue shirt idiots just look up my 2011 Cayenne online and say, "yeah nope nothing will fit your vehicle. My system said so"

Crutchfield.com netted me the same result, something along the lines of "we do not recommend changing the head unit in your car" and therefore lists zero compatible head units 😒😒

Wonder if that's because I have the Bose system (doubtful), or because there are vital vehicle settings that are only available or accessible through the factory head unit???
Old 04-10-2022, 07:13 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Default We Are SOL

Welp guys, this thread might have been just another waste of time 😞 I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that we are basically f*ckd for aftermarket head unit options.

Been to multiple local car audio installers now where I live and pick their brains. I've searched the internet forums and sites like Crutchfield who specifically specialize in aftermarket car audio.

And the conclusion is that the answer is always the same: "there's really nothing you can do" so "there's no adapter kit or wiring harness to hook anything like an aftermarket Pioneer or Alpine unit with Android Auto to the factory Porsche wires.

The only option the local car audio installers suggested is the same option discussed at the beginning of this thread and commented on by a few other members that I've already tried: the GTA Car Kit retrofit product. I just figured sheesh for $600 I could get a quality aftermarket head unit like Pioneer or Alpine. But nooooo. Apparently this is either less of an issue or a non-issue for 90% of the vehicles on the road save for some BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, VWs, Volvos, and yes, Porsche.

So it's either stick with an antiquated system from 2011 or tear my PCM apart yet again removing and reinstalling another retrofit kit... either a replacement unit from GTA Car Kits or the same crap with a different logo i.e. NM Automotive, JoyeAuto etc
Old 04-10-2022, 07:32 PM
Topshelf
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

I think you might want to look into the iSudar kit I mentioned. It's not a copy of the JoyeAuto, NM, etc...not to mention nobody in that thread has the GTA kit, so there's a chance that's just complete crap, I don't know. Anyway, there's no external parts to iSudar like those other units. Just open radio, install board and reinstall radio. Done and done. It's not flawless, but it works just fine.
Robbath10 (04-11-2022)
Old 04-10-2022, 08:18 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

I think you might want to look into the iSudar kit I mentioned. It's not a copy of the JoyeAuto, NM, etc...not to mention nobody in that thread has the GTA kit, so there's a chance that's just complete crap, I don't know. Anyway, there's no external parts to iSudar like those other units. Just open radio, install board and reinstall radio. Done and done. It's not flawless, but it works just fine.
I appreciate your input. I truly do. But what you're describing as the iSudar kit is identical to the other "retrofit" kits mentioned in this thread. Maybe the color of the module (mini motherboard piece) or harnesses or the other box you plug stuff into is different, but the idea or premise behind the iSudar setup you describe is exactly the way the other kits are designed. Here's some photos of the GTA Car Kit I have had so much trouble with. It's the same exact process as iSudar: Remove factory PCM. Disassemble factory PCM. Install motherboard/module inside PCM. Reassemble PCM. Hook up wiring harness adapter(s) & cables to the back of the factory PCM and route to the corresponding little box party thingy. Plug everything in, fire up the car and test it out by pressing the Navi button on your factory PCM to switch over to whatever-brand-kit-you-bought-interface. Go through Setup. Enjoy your Android Auto/CarPlay.

I'm telling you, it's the same process for all of them. How much different can each one of them really be? In the end, I may end up being stuck with a retrofit kit as my only solution anyway. Might as well see about a replacement unit/module from GTA Car Kits, or like you said I can get my refund and go buy an identical retrofit kit from a different brand/company....

Old 04-10-2022, 08:21 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Default iSudar?

Maybe I misunderstood. Are you saying your iSudar kit was a complete stand-alone head unit like what's pictured on their website for our Cayennes? See below. If so, that could be a viable option. My other question would be what happened to all the vehicle info/settings you would normally access through the factory PCM? Are they still available?

ISUDAR Car Multimedia Player For Porsche Cayenne 2010-2017 PCM 3.1,PCM 4.0

Old 04-10-2022, 08:29 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Edit: Nope, the iSudar kit is identical to the other crap retrofit kits as I suspected. I don't know what head unit is pictured in that ad from the iSudar website, but it looks nothing like the rear of my factory PCM. Just watched the iSudar install video for the Cayenne. Once they installed the module and got it all put back together and turned on, imagine my shock and surprise to see Chinese wording/lettering pop up on the screen. I wonder where they get the hardware module!

Old 04-10-2022, 08:35 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Default Options?

Continuing with the attempted theme of this thread... maybe there's some hope for an aftermarket head unit upgrade for us 958.1 guys after all? I have no idea if this is worthwhile, but I stumbled upon this video showing a functional Pioneer head unit in a Cayenne (not sure what year but looks to be a 958 like mine). Obviously, it's in Australia or England or something with the whack right-hand-drive setup... but I wonder if I can find out more info. If anyone knows anything about this, please speak up!! Gracias

PS: of course, the comments on the video are turned off, so no one can discuss how they got this to work. lol

Old 04-10-2022, 08:41 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Found this link via that video that shows promise. Wonder if I showed this to the guys at Car Toys or Best Buy if they'd change their tune about "there's nothing that can be done"...

Product Range for Porsche Cayenne

Quick Reply: 958 Head Unit Upgrades