Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can you install 991 seats in 997 cars?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 01:33 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts
Default can you install 991 seats in 997 cars?

Sorry if this has already been asked but my search was not effective. There are two issues. Do the rails fit? Has anyone addressed the wiring? Cheers
Old 01-18-2022, 02:02 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 390 Posts

I recently installed ROW 991 folding bucket seats into my GTS so by deduction and in principle, you should be able to bolt any 991 seat into a 997. The wiring harness with the yellow connector was literal plug and play. However, there are two connectors per seat and the second was not used for my bucket seats, but may be required for power seats and I am not sure the second connectors are compatible. So I suggest doing more research but essentially the rails and bolt points are the same.

Originally Posted by c didy
Sorry if this has already been asked but my search was not effective. There are two issues. Do the rails fit? Has anyone addressed the wiring? Cheers

Last edited by Busta Rib; 01-18-2022 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:58 PM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 234 Likes on 168 Posts

Thanks Busta. Haven't seen your posts for a while on the other forums. Good to see where you got to. Anyway, that helps. Did you have any airbag light problems?
Old 01-18-2022, 07:30 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Yes, got some lights and error codes due to no passenger seat sensor in the 991 bucket seats. I got them coded out by my local tech. Airbags still work. YMMV.

Originally Posted by c didy
Thanks Busta. Haven't seen your posts for a while on the other forums. Good to see where you got to. Anyway, that helps. Did you have any airbag light problems?
The following users liked this post:
Muss4S (03-22-2023)
Old 01-19-2022, 05:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,266 Likes on 3,991 Posts

Depends on what seat configuration you have now and what you're going to. If you have manual seats in the 997 and are trying to install full power 991 seats, it's not plug and play as the memory module controls most of the seat functions for full power seats. If you have full power seats and are going to full power seats, it might be possible. If you have full power seats and are going to manual seats, it is possible.

I'm installing 991 manual seats into another 928 and have done 997 manual seats into a 928 twice before. The seat rails on the 997 and 991 seats are the same.

Currently the 991 seats are being dyed from beige to black

Old 03-22-2023, 04:53 PM
Muss4S
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Busta, new member here. Sourced a pair of 991 euro spec LHD manual sport seats with no passenger airbag sensor for my 997.2 . Were the error codes due to no airbag sensor easy for your tech to program away? Do you have any more information you can share about the process? Thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2023, 07:42 PM
Busta Rib
Rennlist Member

Yes, error codes are due to no passenger sensors in the ROW seats. My tech has access to a PIWIS diagnostic tool and I don't know what he did to code it out. I believe you can do the same with a Foxwell diagnostic tool but I am not sure. Do a search on RL and ask around. I recall reading some posts where some owners did the same thing. Good luck.

Originally Posted by Muss4S
Hey Busta, new member here. Sourced a pair of 991 euro spec LHD manual sport seats with no passenger airbag sensor for my 997.2 . Were the error codes due to no airbag sensor easy for your tech to program away? Do you have any more information you can share about the process? Thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2023, 10:16 PM
M3tro81
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Busta Rib
Yes, error codes are due to no passenger sensors in the ROW seats. My tech has access to a PIWIS diagnostic tool and I don't know what he did to code it out. I believe you can do the same with a Foxwell diagnostic tool but I am not sure. Do a search on RL and ask around. I recall reading some posts where some owners did the same thing. Good luck.
Tech needs to tell the car what components not to look for, individually. Unlike the 991 you can’t just tell the car it now has manual seats, have to go in and tell it don’t look for seat motors, seat heating, passenger occupancy sensor, etc. One thing at a time then reset the gateway after each change. Only takes about 10 minutes.
The following users liked this post:
TrofeoCollection (02-07-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 02:20 AM
AMGE
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This info has come in handy since I purchased 991/981 seats for my 997 and have come to find the memory module is different.

I have full powered 14 way seats and the new seat I have is 18 way full power. Passenger side is plug and play. Driver side oddly has two connectors in the wiring harness but the 991 seat has only one yellow airbag connector harness.

Is there a vendor with experience that can help?
Old 05-10-2024, 10:22 PM
tdemarco27
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Just installed 991 buckets in my 997. Like others have said, foxwell and PIWIS can disable the AWS (weight sensor) system. I bet durametric can do it as well. This leaves your passenger airbags active at all times, regardless if a passenger is present or not. Airbag light in cluster blinks on startup then clears. Console light remains off at all times.

I went as far as trying to migrate the weight sensors and harness from my old to new seats, but failed to calibrate them with PIWIS. Getting implausible signals/sensors reporting as off. Welcome any help here.

Do make sure your buckets have wired seatbelt receivers in order to appease the cluster as well. They're an easy retrofit, suncoast has the proper height sku. They're longer on buckets than comfort seats.

Quick Reply: can you install 991 seats in 997 cars?