Sponsored by:

PCM Not Recognizing Sport Chrono

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 02:36 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 294 Likes on 170 Posts
Default PCM Not Recognizing Sport Chrono

I was looking to get a little help from anyone who may have experienced this or knows the process/code to address the problem....

I have an '07 C2S with Sport Chrono. A few months ago I was curious about the individual settings that Sport Chrono gives you access to in the PCM. I followed the instructions in the manual and couldn't find the individual settings menu in my PCM. Fast forward to last week, and I tried to access the individual settings menu again to turn off my DRL's. Not only did I double check both the owner's manual and the PCM manual, but I also searched here and other forums to make sure I was following the appropriate steps to access the menu. I confirmed with another Rennlist member who has a .1 with Sport Chrono that I was doing it correctly, but I'm not seeing the individual settings menu (see picture below). From doing a search here and some other forums, it sounds like my PCM may have been replaced by the previous owner for whatever reason (maybe under warranty?) and that the dealer did not code the new PCM to recognize Sport Chrono. The Sport Chrono functions still work by using the stalk on the steering colum, it just doesn't recognize Sport Chrono in the PCM.

The only thread I found on the subject was here, but it sounds like he had the dealer he bought the car from address the problem for him.

Missing Individual Memory Settings

I called my local dealer, and they said they think they could address this for me, but they won't be able to get me in until the end of the month and they couldn't provide an estimate of how much it will cost me. I e-mailed my Indy, and he said he has a PIWIS but would have to go through his notes to see if he can find that code. If I can help them find the code or procedure, they might be able to get me squared away. I called PCNA tech support and they told me to talk to my dealer, so they were of no help.

So my questions are 1) Has anyone else experienced this and if so, what was the fix? 2) Were you able to do it yourself or at your Indy, or is this a dealer only type fix?

If anyone knows the procedure and the code(s) to use with a PIWIS so I can tell my shop, it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-03-2020, 03:31 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

Individual settings only work if the car is running (stupid I know). Did you try it with the car running? Trying to remember but it may even need to be in gear with the brake applied. It was not an intuitive process IIRC.
Old 06-03-2020, 05:13 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by PV997
Individual settings only work if the car is running (stupid I know). Did you try it with the car running? Trying to remember but it may even need to be in gear with the brake applied. It was not an intuitive process IIRC.
Thanks for the suggestion. I confirmed with my friend with a similar .1 with Sport Chrono that he was able to access that individual settings menu with the ignition on, but engine off.

With that said, I'll still give it a shot when I drive it next. I'm finding these cars have a lot of strange electrical quirks, so I wouldn't be surprised if mine only works with the engine on even if other cars do not.
Old 06-03-2020, 06:12 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,507 Likes on 645 Posts

Yeah, I just checked and it is there with the ignition on in my 997.2. My recollection from my 997.1 was it was there but grayed out unless the engine was running. Sorry to lead you astray as it doesn't look like this is what's happening for you. Can you access the other sport chrono functions from the PCM aside from the individual settings? That might tell you if it's recognizing the sport chrono at all.

Here's a shot from the PIWIS. You want to select "PCM" under the oveview tab, and then go to the tab for coding adaptations. Select "enabling code" and scroll down and you'll see this below. BTW, this is from simulation mode so I'm not sure if the three entries are properly selected. I can check it on my car if you need it. Good luck.

Last edited by PV997; 06-03-2020 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-03-2020, 11:53 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I had sport mode...no Chrono wart....added to my 2012. I did not get some of the individual controls. Seems like I wanted to adjust headlight off timer and maybe wiper speed. I can’t remember. Anyway asked service manager who.had the mechanic try to “fix” with programming. Eventually lost most of the settings allowed and had to get some new modules from Germany. The PCM didn’t even allow me XM radio controls if I remember correctly. I honestly don’t know why or what happened but once we finally got it going again (under warranty) I have been satisfied without the controls I felt so important at one time.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:58 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by PV997
Yeah, I just checked and it is there with the ignition on in my 997.2. My recollection from my 997.1 was it was there but grayed out unless the engine was running. Sorry to lead you astray as it doesn't look like this is what's happening for you. Can you access the other sport chrono functions from the PCM aside from the individual settings? That might tell you if it's recognizing the sport chrono at all.

Here's a shot from the PIWIS. You want to select "PCM" under the oveview tab, and then go to the tab for coding adaptations. Select "enabling code" and scroll down and you'll see this below. BTW, this is from simulation mode so I'm not sure if the three entries are properly selected. I can check it on my car if you need it. Good luck.
This is very helpful. Thank you! I'll share this with my shop and see if this is something they can do for me.

I believe you're referring to the lap times as the other Sport Chrono functions in the PCM? I guess I've never looked. I'll have to got have a look and will provide an update....
Old 06-05-2020, 03:39 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Quick update here. I swung my car by my shop today for them to plug in their PIWIS to see if they could enable Sport Chrono. No dice. He said that since I have a newer PCM for a .1, that it actually needs a code. The older ones apparently would simply say "enabled: yes or no", and then could easily be enabled. He said in order to get the codes for my car, I would have to get them from the dealer and get a print out of my option codes.

Just curious if anyone knows if there is a generic code to enable Sport Chrono that we can post here, or if there is a specific code per car? I'm going to try to track down my codes later today.
Old 10-08-2020, 05:15 PM
absoluteczech
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Quick update here. I swung my car by my shop today for them to plug in their PIWIS to see if they could enable Sport Chrono. No dice. He said that since I have a newer PCM for a .1, that it actually needs a code. The older ones apparently would simply say "enabled: yes or no", and then could easily be enabled. He said in order to get the codes for my car, I would have to get them from the dealer and get a print out of my option codes.

Just curious if anyone knows if there is a generic code to enable Sport Chrono that we can post here, or if there is a specific code per car? I'm going to try to track down my codes later today.
any luck on finding a code?
Old 10-08-2020, 07:13 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.

Its a specific code per car tied to the VIN - every now and again the head unit will check the vin off the central control module and verify the features enabled. The dealer (or Indy if they buy the PIWIS from Porsche and pay the high costs) will have to request a code from Porsche to enter through PIWIS and unlock the feature. All the features are programmed, just not enabled (apart from those that require additional hardware but even then I think the underlying software is there)

There are a couple of sites that will sell you the codes - google is your friend. Code-porsche is out of Europe and piwis-tester2 out of the far east. Code-porsche wants $100 per feature and Piwis tester supposedly will ship you all the codes for features on your head unit for 120.
I've not had much luck in getting them to respond to questions and hence never pulled the trigger on sending them money. No affiliation with either site.

People in Europe and the UK have had no problems with these codes enabling features supposedly, there are a couple of other places in the UK but they want you to ship them your head unit and prices get silly.....

Once you have the code your indy 'should' be able to enter it and enable the feature.

Hope this helps
Old 10-12-2020, 02:14 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Originally Posted by absoluteczech
any luck on finding a code?
Thanks for the reminder. It looks like I never closed the loop on this....

After going to my Indy, I went to my local Porsche dealership. After 3 hours of them working to try to figure out why my PCM wouldn't recognize my Sport Chrono option and the Individual Settings menu, they couldn't figure it out. They had their shop foreman working on it (their best tech, according to my Indy who used to work there) and after trying with two different PIWIS Testers, an old one and their newest one, they couldn't get it to take. The dealership said my only other option was to buy a new PCM, which is out of the question as far as I'm concerned and certainly not worth it.

The shop foreman "accidentally" left the printed out codes in my car, which was cool considering I had to pay for them to diagnose a problem I was already aware of and that they weren't able to fix. So I figured I would go back to my Indy one more time with the codes for him to give it one more try. Again, no luck. My Indy said that if my PCM was ever replaced and that if that dealer were to hard-code the PCM's settings (which he said he would never do, even when he worked at a Porsche dealership), that the PCM would be permanently locked in that configuration. I guess the only other possibility is a firmware or software glitch. Regardless, after two trips to my Indy and one to a Porsche dealership, I've thrown my hands up in defeat and will just live without the individual settings menu. At this point it is not worth investing anymore time and money.

Originally Posted by Tj40
Its a specific code per car tied to the VIN - every now and again the head unit will check the vin off the central control module and verify the features enabled. The dealer (or Indy if they buy the PIWIS from Porsche and pay the high costs) will have to request a code from Porsche to enter through PIWIS and unlock the feature. All the features are programmed, just not enabled (apart from those that require additional hardware but even then I think the underlying software is there)

There are a couple of sites that will sell you the codes - google is your friend. Code-porsche is out of Europe and piwis-tester2 out of the far east. Code-porsche wants $100 per feature and Piwis tester supposedly will ship you all the codes for features on your head unit for 120.
I've not had much luck in getting them to respond to questions and hence never pulled the trigger on sending them money. No affiliation with either site.

People in Europe and the UK have had no problems with these codes enabling features supposedly, there are a couple of other places in the UK but they want you to ship them your head unit and prices get silly.....

Once you have the code your indy 'should' be able to enter it and enable the feature.

Hope this helps
This is useful information and hopefully can help others that stumble upon this thread. I'm glad I was able to get my hands on the codes specific to my car and my VIN, but unfortunately in my situation, it's still not enough to resolve the issue.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:00 PM
Marcello Tr
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

hc
Old 03-25-2024, 01:49 PM
ramiy
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

sorry wrong thread.

admin please delete

Last edited by ramiy; 03-25-2024 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-28-2024, 11:14 AM
ollisun
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last edited by ollisun; 05-28-2024 at 11:15 AM.
Old 07-01-2024, 02:19 AM
secn00b911
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have that same exact problem. My PCM does not show individual memory settings. My local dealer mentioned that my current pcm was coded to a boxter and they attempted to fix it but no dice. My headlights and DRL are on permanently once the vehicle is running. They suggested buying a new pcm. I am considering the new pccm+ but not sure if it will fix the issue.

Quick Reply: PCM Not Recognizing Sport Chrono