Sponsored by:

Foxwell NT520 -- Strange Values in Cam Deviation and Engine Roughness

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 03:31 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Foxwell NT520 -- Strange Values in Cam Deviation and Engine Roughness

I've been using my Foxwell NT520 to evaluate the camshaft deviation and the engine cylinder firing roughness index on my '06 C2S, but I'm having some issues with strange values in the live data boxes.
Has anyone experienced this? Some cylinders read fine and others read, what looks like a correct value, momentarily and then switch to a value in the hundreds with some variability in the decimal places.
Trying to make sense of this I've sent a ticket in to Foxwell, and am waiting. Here's some pics of what I'm seeing with the unit.
Is this normal behavior for this instrument? Yeah, I know...get a Durametric. (I need a gofundme account)

Old 04-25-2019, 08:18 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

My camshaft deviation numbers look nothing like those. Here they are when one of my cam position sensors failed (reading all zeros) and then once repaired the values were very close to the other one.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:24 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Thanks Pete, was your car showing a C.E.L when your sensor was out? I'm not seeing any indication of a fault through a CEL or scanner.
I think I'm going to have to use another scanner to make sure it isn't just an issue with my current scanner. I'm thinking that what I am seeing might be unconverted raw data. I have noticed there are flashes of values that look like they are appropriate, but not enough to trust.
I wonder if there are any phone/tablet apps that have the PIDs for the cam and misfire data. It will probably be a month or so before I can get a durametric pro.

Last edited by latonnelier; 04-25-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2019, 06:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by latonnelier
Thanks Pete, was your car showing a C.E.L when your sensor was out? I'm not seeing any indication of a fault through a CEL or scanner.
I think I'm going to have to use another scanner to make sure it isn't just an issue with my current scanner. I'm thinking that what I am seeing might be unconverted raw data. I have noticed there are flashes of values that look like they are appropriate, but not enough to trust.
I wonder if there are any phone/table apps that have the PIDs for the cam and misfire data. It will probably be a month or so before I can get a durametric pro.
Yes, it went bad when I was sitting at a light and the car started to stumble. I was able to drive it home and when I hooked it up, saw that one of the values was all zeros. I had to move it around the garage a couple of times while waiting for the new sensor to arrive and interestingly, it would run totally fine until the end of the enrichment mode when the idle would normally drop back to normal, at which time it would stumble again and run really rough. This was completely repeatable, like the CPSs were ignored by the DME until the end of the start up protocol. Replacing the Bank 2 sensor completely cured the problem for me though.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:22 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Originally Posted by Petza914
Yes, it went bad when I was sitting at a light and the car started to stumble. I was able to drive it home and when I hooked it up, saw that one of the values was all zeros. I had to move it around the garage a couple of times while waiting for the new sensor to arrive and interestingly, it would run totally fine until the end of the enrichment mode when the idle would normally drop back to normal, at which time it would stumble again and run really rough. This was completely repeatable, like the CPSs were ignored by the DME until the end of the start up protocol. Replacing the Bank 2 sensor completely cured the problem for me though.
This gives me some more insight to my initial query. The car is probably seeing values within range.

As an aside, I took Jake's engine rebuild class in February and, more than the engine assembly aspect, I really gained a substantial understanding of the systems of these engines and how they depend on and interact with each other. Even though I have lots of miles on this car, I have since shifted into much more proactive approach regarding my engine's health until the big build I have planned next year. I can say this car is getting much more attention than our others, but those are mostly Toyotas (they almost dont need any attention) Perhaps its that I like to play also Driving is fun, but I really love the opportunity to dig into these cars.
Old 04-25-2019, 08:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by latonnelier
This gives me some more insight to my initial query. The car is probably seeing values within range.

As an aside, I took Jake's engine rebuild class in February and, more than the engine assembly aspect, I really gained a substantial understanding of the systems of these engines and how they depend on and interact with each other. Even though I have lots of miles on this car, I have since shifted into much more proactive approach regarding my engine's health until the big build I have planned next year. I can say this car is getting much more attention than our others, but those are mostly Toyotas (they almost dont need any attention) Perhaps its that I like to play also Driving is fun, but I really love the opportunity to dig into these cars.
Yes, Jake's M102 class is excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed it myself.
Old 04-26-2019, 01:48 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 352 Posts

I know it's a different engine, but same concept. On my turbo the Cam deviations are measured in Degrees with the Durametric, so I see data similar to Pete's.

I also have a foxwell nt520 and I too have noticed on some fields it looks like they have unit/data conversion issues for other things.. I cant recall right now, but I would not be at all surprised if it is the scanner tool that is the problem.

If I can remember I will plug it into my turbo this weekend and see what it shows for the CamDev values..
Old 04-26-2019, 06:05 PM
latonnelier
Racer

Originally Posted by saabin
I know it's a different engine, but same concept. On my turbo the Cam deviations are measured in Degrees with the Durametric, so I see data similar to Pete's.

I also have a foxwell nt520 and I too have noticed on some fields it looks like they have unit/data conversion issues for other things.. I cant recall right now, but I would not be at all surprised if it is the scanner tool that is the problem.

If I can remember I will plug it into my turbo this weekend and see what it shows for the CamDev values..
Thanks,
This is confirming what I thought. I'm amazed that I can't find any reference to this issue anywhere...Oh well.
Old 12-25-2020, 05:09 PM
atm4jim
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Bumping this old thread. Here's my reading with the Foxwell NT520, anyone knows how to convert the values to degrees or perhaps this tool is unable to read it? Just wanting to know what my camshafts deviation readings are. Thanks!

Old 12-25-2020, 06:36 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 321 Posts

It can’t read it properly
The following users liked this post:
atm4jim (12-25-2020)

Quick Reply: Foxwell NT520 -- Strange Values in Cam Deviation and Engine Roughness