Notices

Ready to buy! What an amazing feeling!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2018, 03:43 PM
MasterA
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Ready to buy! What an amazing feeling!

Hi all,
This is my very first post - hopefully one of many to come. I’ve hit that stage in my life where a 997 or 991 911 is within range.

I’d like to get your opinions of what choices I have to make:

1) I’ve found a great 09 997 C2 for approximately $59k with 55k km, manual and in fantastic/pristine shape. From my limited knowledge the 997 seem to be a great drivers porsche’s and I believe the 09 would have no ims bearing issues. What do you think of the 997 and how does that price look? (I’d negotiate and hopefully settle at $55k)

What do do you guys think of this car, your expertise and thoughts are welcome.

My other options range all the way up to the 991 911’s, which look fantastic. They seems to range in price between low $80’s to $95k. I would not be willing to pay $95k but look for the prices in the mid $80’s. From what I’ve researched the 991’s seem to be fantastic as well but more of a GT feel. Do you all agree?

I would be strictly using this car for the weekend jaunts around the city (estimate 3,000km per year) - I have an e92 for my daily. The choice I have to make is buy the more expensive newer car OR go for the older 997’s and have plenty for upgrades or repairs.

Your advice would be welcomed, as I would be completely new to the entire Porsche world!

Thanks and look forward to all of your replies!
Old 09-23-2018, 04:15 PM
moab
Rennlist Member

Received 690 Likes on 338 Posts

if you are going 997, make sure to get an S. if you can find a 997 GTS, even better, although I am not sure what they are priced at these days. good luck.

Originally Posted by MasterA
Hi all,
This is my very first post - hopefully one of many to come. I’ve hit that stage in my life where a 997 or 991 911 is within range.

I’d like to get your opinions of what choices I have to make:

1) I’ve found a great 09 997 C2 for approximately $59k with 55k km, manual and in fantastic/pristine shape. From my limited knowledge the 997 seem to be a great drivers porsche’s and I believe the 09 would have no ims bearing issues. What do you think of the 997 and how does that price look? (I’d negotiate and hopefully settle at $55k)

What do do you guys think of this car, your expertise and thoughts are welcome.

My other options range all the way up to the 991 911’s, which look fantastic. They seems to range in price between low $80’s to $95k. I would not be willing to pay $95k but look for the prices in the mid $80’s. From what I’ve researched the 991’s seem to be fantastic as well but more of a GT feel. Do you all agree?

I would be strictly using this car for the weekend jaunts around the city (estimate 3,000km per year) - I have an e92 for my daily. The choice I have to make is buy the more expensive newer car OR go for the older 997’s and have plenty for upgrades or repairs.

Your advice would be welcomed, as I would be completely new to the entire Porsche world!

Thanks and look forward to all of your replies!
Old 09-23-2018, 08:57 PM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 547 Likes on 236 Posts

For the 997 series cars I'd only go S and up for specification. Larger motor and most of those cars came heavily equipped in those years. Stan on Rennlist is selling a fabulous 2010 997.2 C4S in yellow...its awesome. Original owner car with full service history, no accidents etc.

2010 C4S Coupe
Manual
CPO till Oct 2019
Original owner
82000km
Clean Carfax
Excellent shape
$75,000

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...-2010-c4s.html
Old 09-23-2018, 11:49 PM
MasterA
Advanced

Thanks for the insight on Stan’s car, I would like to stay lower than 60k. I guess if this c4s is maintained amazingly 30k more mileage is nothing bad.

Is there anything I should know that would be important when selecting between a 997 and 991? For some reasons there are relatively no pre owned Carrera S’s for sale.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:51 AM
SlntSam
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Such an exciting time! I can relate because I was you about two years ago. I spent a year looking and was looking at pretty much the same cars. I found what I thought was a great deal and a car perfect for me and flew my family out to Montreal to spend the weekend and pick up the car. We drove it back from Montreal to Toronto. I'd consider myself a car guy. I do as much DIY stuff as I can on all the cars I've owned. I remember the research and decisions on all the cars I've owned so far. Prelude, Miata, 991. I almost bought a 997 Black edition but it sold before I could get my hands on it. It's been a great journey. The only advise I can offer is to take your time and find the right car for you. Good luck with your journey!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:06 AM
SlntSam
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there anything I should know that would be important when selecting between a 997 and 991? For some reasons there are relatively no pre owned Carrera S’s for sale.
I think you may have read all the advise that I had read. "Buy the newest one you can afford" Having said that I was dead set on a 997.2. There were two that I nearly pulled the trigger on, one was lost because it was too early, and the other because it was sold before I could react. There is a great PDF file that you can read about the 997.1 vs 997.2 from Porsche, just all the differences that aren't all engine. Good read if you can find it. If you can't find it, I probably have it, pm me and I can send it to you. I ended up with a stripper 991.1 because it was the newer gen with very low km, CPO and in my price range. Red and manual sold me as well. This is my first Porsche as well.

TBH I had never driven a 911 before buying my car. The advice of many of the posts I had read before was to drive each one to see what you'd like the best. I think that's sound advice. I didn't do that myself, I found a nice 991 and bought it without ever driving a 997 that I had originally coveted.

Good luck again.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:20 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the insight on Stan’s car, I would like to stay lower than 60k. I guess if this c4s is maintained amazingly 30k more mileage is nothing bad.

Ignore the 991 as your budget won't get you there at all.

If your budget is at the $60k mark then you will only get a 997.2 and even then I suggest pushing up to $70k to find a decent C2S, C4S, etc. There aren't many good 997.2's in Canada as they were produced around the economic crisis and therefore, not many were sold in Canada. Also, since the CDN dollar weakened since then, U.S. dealers/enthusists have bought up a good number of Canadian cars.

So my advice is three-fold:
1. Only shop 997.2's
2. Increase your budget by 5-10k
3. Act fast with a deposit and inspection once you find one

Stan's car is a nice one...
Old 09-24-2018, 11:14 AM
GTA_G20
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
Ignore the 991 as your budget won't get you there at all.

If your budget is at the $60k mark then you will only get a 997.2 and even then I suggest pushing up to $70k to find a decent C2S, C4S, etc. There aren't many good 997.2's in Canada as they were produced around the economic crisis and therefore, not many were sold in Canada. Also, since the CDN dollar weakened since then, U.S. dealers/enthusists have bought up a good number of Canadian cars.

So my advice is three-fold:
1. Only shop 997.2's
2. Increase your budget by 5-10k
3. Act fast with a deposit and inspection once you find one

Stan's car is a nice one...
I think his budget was ok. He was referring to 60,000 km if I read his post correctly. But I could be wrong .

My advice is wait a few months. Prices drop slightly when the weather gets worse. Patience is key . Set priorities and wait for the right optioned car
Old 09-24-2018, 11:21 AM
MasterA
Advanced

Yes, my budget ranges from mid $50’s to $85’s. But seriously can’t find any Carrera S’s from the Toronto to Quebec City area. All Carrera’s.

But nobody’s really gotten into details about the pro vs cons of the 997 vs the 991. I like both and I’m torn. One newer but close to the top of the budget vs older with repair fund I wouldn’t have to worry about.

I have gleaned from the advice here to get a PPI done as an imperative for buying the car. I found a beauty 991 2013 in Quebec City at $85k but it was already sold when I replied - too bad it was spec’d our exactly how I wanted. I am in no rush but I would like to get something by spring/early summer next year at the latest.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:22 AM
CamsPorsche
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTA_G20
I think his budget was ok. He was referring to 60,000 km if I read his post correctly. But I could be wrong .

My advice is wait a few months. Prices drop slightly when the weather gets worse. Patience is key . Set priorities and wait for the right optioned car
Ahh...right. Yes, just re-read his newest post again. There are some 991's in that $80k mark lurking around. Fall/winter is a good time to buy...
Old 09-24-2018, 11:52 AM
Bacura
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I traded in my 2009 997S for a 2014 991. Both PDK. To ME the 991 is better in every way except the steering. The hydraulic set up in the 997 was bit better in the feel dept. I didn't and don't track the cars. The 991 is roomier, more comfortable and has a much nicer interior. Having said that the 997S was a wonderful car. I had zero problems with the 997. The 991 needed a new solenoid for heat under warranty. No other issues but mileage is very low.

Quick Reply: Ready to buy! What an amazing feeling!