Sponsored by:

Options: Carrera T vs Carrera S

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2018, 03:36 PM
caciquemd
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Options: Carrera T vs Carrera S

I am currently looking at a T with MT with RAS @ 105 and an S with PASM, PSE, RAS, PCCB @ 105. Both are NOT CPO and both have less than 3000 miles.

I am struggling with the decision of which car to buy. The S carries a big discount about 18% and the T 10%.

I have driven an brand new T and fell in love with it. I drove a PDK C4 991.2 and thrilled but loved the T.

I drove a PDK 991.1 S and was impressed.

Thoughts ?????
Old 09-16-2018, 03:41 PM
S S
Burning Brakes

Received 887 Likes on 400 Posts

That is a good dilemma to have.... A smokin' deal on the S. If you loved the T, however, what is making you pause? Is it just the deal, or is there something else to it. Which car do you see yourself happy in in X amount of time (X is up to you...)? Do you trust the source of these cars, even without the CPO? Can you afford any repairs once the warranties are out, if you plan to keep them that long?

I also test drove a T recently and it convinced me to sell my 981 CS and to order one the way that I want it. So, I understand how you feel.

Ultimately, it is your call, and as long as the cars are solid, it doesn't sound like you can make a bad decision here. Just have to make the best one for you.

Good luck!

Stacy
Old 09-16-2018, 04:01 PM
4pipes
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts

No one can answer that for you. Buy which ever car puts a bigger smile on your face when you’re driving it.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:19 PM
captainkirk
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Go for the one you love. That is the simple answer.

From what I call tell, you will think of T when you buy the S.

Get the T.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:22 PM
dkhm3
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 49 Posts

I had the same issue as you do, but I wanted pdk- so that sealed the deal for me and convinced me of the S..
I too, came away impressed with the T- but I think it was also because the S I drove did not come with pasm sport and the T had less sound deadening. Inside the T seemed more special because of the seats and door pulls.
Honestly, it came down to performance, my cars right now matched the T in performance and I wanted a car to keep for a long time and be happy with the feeling as well as the numbers.

btw, is that discount off the 105k? or do you mean off the msrp when new and now it is at 105k?
Old 09-16-2018, 07:37 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

I went for an S. i bought it because i wanted X51 Power and torque. The X51 PowerKit can be added as an option when ordering or dealer installed after purchase. I like an X51 S better than a GTS. X51 not an option with a T. With an S you can add the X51 option later at reasonable cost. If you don't initially want the X51, can't afford it now or an S you want doesn't have it, you will still have the option of changing your mind in the future.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:43 PM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

The answer is obviously the T but to be honest it seems as though you’ve already figured that out based on your post. Go for the T. You won’t regret it!
Old 09-16-2018, 08:05 PM
Jaredtown
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely go with the T... a very neat car indeed. Lots of options you can only get on the GT cars. Love the bit less sound deadening material too... its great to hear the engine.

If you have an issue with the "base motor" power situation, just buy and install this... Completely transformed my T.

https://www.cobbtuning.com/products/...-carrera-s-gts
Old 09-16-2018, 09:15 PM
caciquemd
Advanced

This is the Carrera S. 3k add on for CPO.

This is the Carrera T Build. 106k with CPO
Old 09-16-2018, 09:21 PM
caciquemd
Advanced

Thanks for all your advice. It is appreciated.
Its very exciting to get back into this community!

Well, after work I drove down to test drive a 4S and MT T. Did not get a chance to drive the PDK 4S but stayed with the MT T. I have to say that I enjoyed every minute of it. Don’t know what I’m missing with the power of the 4S, but rowing the gears of the MT T was something special. After owning a 1990 Cabriolet and a 981 PDK S, this felt special.

For now, I think I’m going with the MT T, even though the C2S has a deeper discount!
Old 09-16-2018, 11:18 PM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Im a logical left - brained engineer who does math in the head Why compare the 991.2 Carrera T vs 4S?? Why not drive a manual S for a more apples to apples comparison?
A 4S costs more, weighs more, has higher maintenence and repair costs, and gets lower fuel economy, and also feels different than an S or a T. Do not end your decision process with a T versus a 4S test drive. That is not logical.
For the price of a 4S you can get an S with OEM or dealer-installed X51 PowerKit, with change to spare. An S can be optioned with the X51 PowerKit either from the factory or later dealer installed at an even lower cost, because the S turbocharger take-offs, when upgrading to the X51 PowerKit are worth money to Base and T owners. Ask me how i know!!

If you compare those, i think you'll find a huge power and torque advantage to both the S and X51 PowerKit S. The nice thing about the 991.2 S is that the dealer installed X51 PowerKit upgrade is very reasonable, cost-wise, nothing like the huge costs of uprading the 991.1 S with the dealer - installed costs of that X51 PowerKit. And the take - offs from the 991.1 S X51 PowerKit upgrade had virtually no resale value - a totally different situation compared to today's 991.2 3.0L TT S Porsches. Im lovin it!
With the 991.2 S you get 11.4% more HP and 11.2% more torque. Adding the X51 PowerKit new or dealer - installed results in a 21.6% Hp increase and a 22.7% torque increase over the Base or T, at reasonable cost, with no warranty issues. The special gearing in the T can not come close to competing with those S and X51 S numbers, comparing the similar mannual tranny models.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:30 PM
caciquemd
Advanced

09RedGTS

There is no manual S nearby, so the closest S was the PDK 4S in the closest dealership.

Thanks for your advice. I’ll have to search for the closest MT C2S and take it for a spin.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:11 AM
BlackOptic
Rennlist Member

Received 545 Likes on 222 Posts

I’m not following. Aren’t both spec sheets above for Manual transmissions? And... the S basically has everything the T does, plus PCCB?

Only difference is 991.1 vs 991.2?

That’s a tough one. I like my T’s... but without turning this into another NA vs. Vacum cleaner thread...

I’d suggest either would be wonderful... PCCB is generally desirable... but which do you feel suits you better? (I.e. you like the look of?)
Old 09-17-2018, 12:42 AM
evilfij
SJW, a Carin' kinda guy
Rennlist Member

Received 621 Likes on 433 Posts

Between those two builds, S no question.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:48 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by caciquemd
09RedGTS
There is no manual S nearby, so the closest S was the PDK 4S in the closest dealership.
Thanks for your advice. I’ll have to search for the closest MT C2S and take it for a spin.
There is seldom any need to limit shopping to the nearby dealer nowadays. Dealers have separate sales people to quote internet sales, because internet pricing needs to be more competitive than what they quote local would-be buyers. Most Americans live within easy driving of multiple Porsche dealers. I would not base my T versus S decision on a T versus 4S. In fact I don't even prioritize test drives, I've I decide on a model range. Test drives are simply a sales tool to extract a purchase commitment from a walk-in customer. Once you have seen what you want, especially within the same model range like the 991.2, do your own price, option and performance research and evaluations, away from the salesperson (unless he/she is a family member that you are committed to help him/her
​​​​​ I evaluate price versus model, performance and options on my own, away from sales persons' attempted influence. Test drives are a sales tool. There are a lot more C2S for sale than C4S, and prices are lower. That's what I'd look at versus a T.

Quick Reply: Options: Carrera T vs Carrera S