Old 08-09-2018, 05:33 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 157 Likes on 98 Posts
Default PFC Pad Bedding Procedure from OG Racing

Performance Friction sent us a bulletin on their pad bedding procedure so I am passing this along to everyone here.

All PFC Brake Pads are pre-treated to be race and street ready. This treatment is done in the final step of the manufacturing process when the surface of the friction material is brought up to temperature in order to simulate a bedding cycle. However, proper bedding is still required using your rotors with the new CarbonMetallic® pads. The following process below is suggested in order to achieve the best performance, consistency and durability of the pad.

STEP 1
Gradually get the PFC pads up to temperature. Do not spend a longer time on the brakes than usual because this can create a thermal shock condition within the compound.

STEP 2
Perform several stops with progressively higher pedal pressure and braking force and from higher speeds. You will feel the effectiveness of the brakes increase with each successive brake application.

STEP 3
Continuing this procedure a few more times is the best way to accomplish the new transfer layer and, due to the higher surface temperatures, will assure a complete removal of the old friction materials from the disc.

STEP 4
The disc should be allowed to cool as much as is practical, with ambient temperature being ideal. Allowing the disc to cool to ambient temperature will increase disc life and performance.

STEP 5
The pads are now properly bedded to provide consistent performance. The pads should be brought back up to the operating temperature range to guarantee optimum braking power. This depends upon the specific compound.

Last edited by Carrera51; 08-10-2018 at 01:52 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:39 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
All PFC Brake Pads are pre-treated to be race and street ready. This treatment is done in the final step of the manufacturing process when the surface of the friction material is brought up to temperature in order to simulate a bedding cycle. However, proper bedding is still required using your rotors with the new CarbonMetallic® pads. The following process below is suggested in order to achieve the best performance, consistency and durability of the pad.

STEP 1
Gradually get the PFC pads up to temperature. Do not spend a longer time on the brakes than usual because this can create a thermal shock condition within the compound.

STEP 2
Perform several stops with progressively higher pedal pressure and braking force and from higher speeds. You will feel the effectiveness of the brakes increase with each successive brake application.

STEP 3
Continuing this procedure a few more times is the best way to accomplish the new transfer layer and, due to the higher surface temperatures, will assure a complete removal of the old friction materials from the disc.

STEP 4
The disc should be allowed to cool as much as is practical, with ambient temperature being ideal. Allowing the disc to cool to ambient temperature will increase disc life and performance.

STEP 5
The pads are now properly bedded to provide consistent performance. The pads should be brought back up to the operating temperature range to guarantee optimum braking power. This depends upon the specific compound.
The bedding procedure should be much more aggressive to remove the chance of squealing and proper/even, stopping power. there is no "film" by the way as measured and seen by a set of these pads after a race. its all about getting the surfaces familiar and some of the resins/binders baked out of the pads. to do this, "several " hard stops are not even close to enough. I have produced a document that shows the proper way and successful way to bed race pads. Many here have used it successfully and have given me good feedback on the process. the pads last longer, the rotors wear more even (smooth) and the stopping power is better for that first use with no chance of overheat (which is a real concern for new pads on the track) feel free to contact me and i will send you the procedure.
Old 08-10-2018, 07:27 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera51
... with the new CarbonMetallic® pads.
Is this just necessary for the newer 19 compound?
Old 08-10-2018, 07:38 PM
amso3
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Is this a new process, or new compound? We've used them without bedding for years with no apparent ill effects.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:19 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by amso3
Is this a new process, or new compound? We've used them without bedding for years with no apparent ill effects.
No kidding, thing I liked about PFCs were: Step 1, put them in, go out and hammer on them to get them hot, then go to pits and relax. That's it..
Old 08-11-2018, 10:17 AM
TXE36
Drifting

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

First thought upon reading thread title: "There's a bedding procedure for PFC brake pads?"

Oh, okay, its for the new stuff. Like others, I've used the 01s, 06s, 08s, and 11s and never bedded them.

-Mike
Old 08-11-2018, 11:06 AM
Gofishracing
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Mark know more than PFC ? ( Oh jez- here we go!)
Old 08-11-2018, 11:54 AM
Circuit Motorsports
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Gofishracing

You might want to clarify which Mark.....

From PFC if you for some reason don't think OGRacing is telling the truth.
https://pfcbrakes.com/News/ArticleID...aceReady®-Pads
Old 08-11-2018, 12:04 PM
spg993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

if you use their pad, same compound and are just changing pads, do you still need to do this?
Old 08-11-2018, 02:29 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Gary R.
No kidding, thing I liked about PFCs were: Step 1, put them in, go out and hammer on them to get them hot, then go to pits and relax. That's it..
ive seen people do this, they will work, but its not optimal. if you are racing and require full performance of the braking system, it will be sup-par after only a few laps. what you will see is uneven wear on the rotor, with part of the rotor being UNTOUCHED. sure, large rotors with 25% of the rotor being used , is like 100% of the rotor being used on a stock system . still very effective, but not optimal for racing brakes and their larger size. the point is, you familar the parts together and they get to be 100% utilized.. this is just basic mechanic's 101

Originally Posted by Gofishracing
im a real user , and have performed the tests over 20 years and probably have used more pads than most. what i have done is experiment with differnet bedding procedures and found a way to bed the pads to avoid issues in a race with new pads. if you dont believe me, or want to understand what im doing and the problem I solve..... ask me

Originally Posted by Circuit Motorsports
You might want to clarify which Mark.....

From PFC if you for some reason don't think OGRacing is telling the truth.
https://pfcbrakes.com/News/ArticleID...aceReady®-Pads
generally, it works and you will be safe with this technique.. BUT, its not optimal.. i have found a way to bed the brakes in an optimal way, if you have the time and space to do it, so that when you go out racing , the brakes are perfect for lap 1 . go put on rotors and pads , new.............go do this bed in procedure.............then come in to the pits and look at the rotors.........they tell the story. the rotors willl be untouched for near half the surface area of the rotor. the pads will be smoking and smell... you are almost there, but not quite for optimal performance. . this is NO different than a machining process in a machine shop. you get the surfaces mated properly and the material cooked to have maximum friction cooeff , then and ONLY then are you optimized. i have the bedding procedure to give to anyone that wants it. ive already given it to near 100 racers with great success, including my own . email, or message me if you want it.

again, the PFC is not wrong. it is fine but minimal... what im offering is a way to be optimal on the bed in. the proof is in the appearance of the rotors. if there is an even wear pattern on the new rotor, it is bedded properly, but in most all cases, you wiill see most of the rotor untouched or worn unevenly. this is the pad and the rotor wearing together. when they wear together, perfectly, they will have wear even from inner diameter to outer diameter. Also, for street use, my method will reduce noise, where as the standard methods eventually willl work, the wear patterns can create noise that may never go away in street use.(not a racing concern)
Old 08-11-2018, 02:37 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by spg993tt
if you use their pad, same compound and are just changing pads, do you still need to do this?
if you want the method, ill send you the process..... to answer your question. yes, this is for bedding pads, regardless of the compound whether you use the minimal procedure , or one that really prepares the pad and surface for racing.

Originally Posted by TXE36
First thought upon reading thread title: "There's a bedding procedure for PFC brake pads?"

Oh, okay, its for the new stuff. Like others, I've used the 01s, 06s, 08s, and 11s and never bedded them.

-Mike
the 01, 11s all require bedding to be optimal. if i showed you the video of the bedding process, you would be amazined how substandard they are until they are bedded.. sure, in a DE environment, there is not much bedding needed to be effective, nor on the street. but for racing, and full effectiveness, you need to bed them properly. for dual street/track use, a better procedure will reduce noise. for racing only, eventually they will bed on their own in a few laps.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:33 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by mark kibort
ive seen people do this, they will work, but its not optimal. if you are racing and require full performance of the braking system, it will be sup-par after only a few laps. what you will see is uneven wear on the rotor, with part of the rotor being UNTOUCHED. sure, large rotors with 25% of the rotor being used , is like 100% of the rotor being used on a stock system . still very effective, but not optimal for racing brakes and their larger size. the point is, you familar the parts together and they get to be 100% utilized.. this is just basic mechanic's 101
I'm not very bright so I went by the perfectly even wear pattern/long life of both pads and (my massive stock 911 SC) rotors and the fantastic performance of "up to temp" PFC97 (and 08 later) pads on my 2700 lb SC. I also seemed to do Ok, but of course I wasn't up against someone of your caliber, glad I got out before I had to!
Old 08-12-2018, 02:11 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Del

Last edited by Bernie930; 08-12-2018 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Delete

Last edited by Bernie930; 08-12-2018 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Delete
Old 08-13-2018, 09:12 AM
ProCoach
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 2,856 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
I'm not very bright so I went by the perfectly even wear pattern/long life of both pads and (my massive stock 911 SC) rotors and the fantastic performance of "up to temp" PFC97 (and 08 later) pads on my 2700 lb SC. I also seemed to do Ok, but of course I wasn't up against someone of your caliber, glad I got out before I had to!

Same here...

Quick Reply: PFC Pad Bedding Procedure from OG Racing