Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Did I just do this for nothing (almost)?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 03:54 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Did I just do this for nothing (almost)?

Another aspect of 996 paranoia got to me. The temp gauge touched the zero, so what do I do? Take off the whole gosh darned front end of the car, of course. This is what I found. Oh well, at least I have piece of mind and can detail parts of the car nobody will ever see...

Old 07-22-2018, 04:30 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

What was the ambient temperature...over 100f? Are you sure your fans low and high speeds are working on both sides? How old is your water pump. How old is your coolant. How old and what number is on your radiator storage tank cap?

Those don't look that dirty...

How's your paranoia level now?

Old 07-22-2018, 04:31 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Would be surprised to learn that this temp is actually 206F on my car according to the computer (DME from ODBII, verified also with Durametric)? And all these folks that complain that the low speed and high speed fans don’t come on at the right temps are all basing their temps on this gauge, which is off by as much as 10-12C. You are not even getting anywhere near the boiling point of water.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:29 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
What was the ambient temperature...over 100f? Are you sure your fans low and high speeds are working on both sides? How old is your water pump. How old is your coolant. How old and what number is on your radiator storage tank cap?

Those don't look that dirty...

How's your paranoia level now?

🤣 I said it “touched” the zero. Now, be ready for wonder and amazement.

My water pump is 18 years old. Be ready for fire, brimstone, and eternal damnation- the coolants probably 18 years old as well. Yes, both are in the agenda to be changed soon.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:31 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Aannnnnddd the whole front end is detailed.

Old 07-22-2018, 05:38 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Originally Posted by Always wanted 1
Holy Crap! That's gonna speed up the intake air so much it will blow right past the radiators, but you should get some downforce gains!!
Old 07-22-2018, 06:49 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

FWIW, cleaning even the little bit of visible debris DID make a difference. Here are my very scientific observations; in slow extended drives in “subdivision speeds”, I.e. stop sign to stop sign or almost city type driving, my car has always sat at the left side of the zero in 180. Even if I turn on the AC to get the fans going, it mattered very little. Yesterday, I took a 10 mile drive in such conditions with nearly identical temps/conditions to today and the temp gauge covered the left side of the zero in 180. Today I drove the same route and the needle never left the right side of the 8 in 180. So, I guess it does make a difference in the efficiency of the radiators. Lastly, when warm, the oil pressure would be just below 2, today it sat just above 2.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:07 PM
Chodey
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You probably didn't drive it long enough tbh.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:53 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

FWIW, cleaning even the little bit of visible debris DID make a difference. Here are my very scientific observations; in slow extended drives in “subdivision speeds”, I.e. stop sign to stop sign or almost city type driving, my car has always sat at the left side of the zero in 180. Even if I turn on the AC to get the fans going, it mattered very little. Yesterday, I took a 10 mile drive in such conditions with nearly identical temps/conditions to today and the temp gauge covered the left side of the zero in 180. Today I drove the same route and the needle never left the right side of the 8 in 180. So, I guess it does make a difference in the efficiency of the radiators. Lastly, when warm, the oil pressure would be just below 2, today it sat just above 2.
I was just poking fun! I need to do mine this fall. Any radiator type device can function better with the dirt/debris removed(think condenser on your home air conditioner). Good job.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:30 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Let's make it clear, we NEVER do anything on our cars that isn't necessary! (at least that's what I tell my wife!)
Old 07-22-2018, 10:12 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
I was just poking fun! I need to do mine this fall. Any radiator type device can function better with the dirt/debris removed(think condenser on your home air conditioner). Good job.
I’m just surprised how big of a difference the little bit of debris made. I’m pretty sure I drove long enough to get it hot as it was all through subdivisions. Even though I only went ten miles it was a good half hour. I normally don’t drive through subdivisions, but I did so yesterday knowing I was going to clean the radiators today, that and I know that’s when it runs the warmest.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:17 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Wow, that’s clean. Nice job.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

I agree, it does help lower temps a little. And extend the life of those rads too. Some folks gets rotten debris that can degrade the aluminum over time and cause leaks.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:24 PM
Always wanted 1
Racer

Originally Posted by murphyslaw1978

Wow, that’s clean. Nice job.
Thanks, always leave it cleaner than you found it, lol.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:50 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Nice job cleaning it up.

I wonder if it is possible to inspect the radiators with a boresope - on this one, the camera head is about 8mm (
Amazon Amazon
)

Quick Reply: Did I just do this for nothing (almost)?