Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9.3 Quarts of oil on 991.2 oil change???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 09:23 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 124 Posts
Default 9.3 Quarts of oil on 991.2 oil change???

Today I decided to do my first oil change. First for my Carrera T, and first DIY for me too. It is not like I didn't know how to do an oil change, but on my previous vehicles either the oil changes were free (BMW), or I had a pre-paid service, or I didn't keep them long enough to get to their first oil change

But after driving my first 2,800 miles on the Carrera T, I thought it would be a good idea to change the oil after the break-in period, have some fun, and do a youtube video about it, as I could not find any related to the 991.2 Hope to post the video in a couple of days.

Now, the interesting thing is, almost all I've read says that a full oil/filter change would require 8 quarts (7.5 litters) of oil, And that the total capacity of the engine is around 10 quarts, so you always end up with 2 quarts of old oil lurking in the engine. Since I don't have a fancy lift, or 4 ramps, I used the 2 ramps I have to raise only the rear of the car. This tilted the car to the front, where the drain plug is located.

After letting the oil drain for well over an hour (went to lunch in the middle of the process), after replacing the filter, and re-filling with 8 quarts, the dashboard had a message saying that the oil level was too low.
I got a little worried, and added another 1/2 quart. After a few minutes I checked again, and it still showed that it needed nearly 3/4 more!

I decided to drive around the block to make sure the oil got warm and moved around before measuring again. And once again, it still showed I needed 3/4 of a quart. After adding 3/4 more, it is now showing a little bit under full. So, I am surprised that I ended up putting 9.25 quarts, and still could add a bit more. Which means that instead of leaving over 2 Qts of old oil in the engine, it looks like no more than 3/4 of a quart were left in there.

So, the moral of the story is: If you want to drain as much oil as possible next time you DIY an oil change, lift the rear of the vehicle!

By the way, I found out that it is cheaper to buy 10 Quarts of oil than 8! The cost for the 5 Qt bottle of Mobile 1 0W40 at Walmart is 22.89, while the 1 Qt. bottle is 7.89. So, the cost of the 3 Qts would be 23.67 vs 22.89 I'm glad I bought the 10 Qts, otherwise I would have to end up buying 2 more 1 Qt. bottles than I had anticipated!

Oil nearly full with 9.25 Qts:

Car lifted with rear ramp:

The following users liked this post:
ketl996 (06-28-2024)
Old 07-07-2018, 10:40 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

Interesting. I thought there was a similar thread to this recently, I can't remember the details though. I have a 2017 C2S and changed mine during break-in period. I used the same method to drain as you did. As I recall it only took 8 to fill it back up.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:43 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by WhipE350
Interesting. I thought there was a similar thread to this recently, I can't remember the details though. I have a 2017 C2S and changed mine during break-in period. I used the same method to drain as you did. As I recall it only took 8 to fill it back up.

So, just to confirm, did you just raised the rear of the car too? If so, how long did you let it drain? I left the oil fill cap off so it would drain easier, also while having the engine hot, not just from a quick drive, but oil temp was at over 200 degrees.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:45 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 1,039 Likes on 627 Posts

The most oil I have filled after a change (including filter) was about 8.75 quarts. I had the car sitting level during the drain.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:03 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

Yeah just raised the rear, fill cap off. I've changed a lot of oil recently and don't recall how warm it was. I likely let it drain for hours or over night. Unfortunately 4 oil changes 3 of them 911s and one a Cayenne I can't recall all details. I did do a Blackstone and captured the oil midway through the drain, that much I remember. It is likely the oil wasn't hot. I do know each time the rear deck is opened it makes you drive it before giving a reading. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there or if that is just a 991.2 thing to PO DIY'ers.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:08 PM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Yeah just raised the rear, fill cap off. I've changed a lot of oil recently and don't recall how warm it was. I likely let it drain for hours or over night. Unfortunately 4 oil changes 3 of them 911s and one a Cayenne I can't recall all details. I did do a Blackstone and captured the oil midway through the drain, that much I remember. It is likely the oil wasn't hot. I do know each time the rear deck is opened it makes you drive it before giving a reading. Not sure what I'm doing wrong there or if that is just a 991.2 thing to PO DIY'ers.
By the way, you just reminded me that I'm an idiot... I have ordered the blackstone box to send the sample back, and forgot to pour the oil in it. I will get it out of the container where I dumped the oil, but I don't know if that is going to show some weird stuff, as at one point I recall having poured gas on it by mistake...
Old 07-07-2018, 11:14 PM
WhipE350
Burning Brakes

You can just do it next change. If you did the so called 'proper' break-in you'll be fine to wait. My oil drain container has so much other crud in it I wouldn't take a sample from there.
Old 07-08-2018, 12:06 AM
Valvefloat991
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by alex_c
Today I decided to do my first oil change. First for my Carrera T, and first DIY for me too. It is not like I didn't know how to do an oil change, but on my previous vehicles either the oil changes were free (BMW), or I had a pre-paid service, or I didn't keep them long enough to get to their first oil change

But after driving my first 2,800 miles on the Carrera T, I thought it would be a good idea to change the oil after the break-in period, have some fun, and do a youtube video about it, as I could not find any related to the 991.2 Hope to post the video in a couple of days.

Now, the interesting thing is, almost all I've read says that a full oil/filter change would require 8 quarts (7.5 litters) of oil, And that the total capacity of the engine is around 10 quarts, so you always end up with 2 quarts of old oil lurking in the engine. Since I don't have a fancy lift, or 4 ramps, I used the 2 ramps I have to raise only the rear of the car. This tilted the car to the front, where the drain plug is located.

After letting the oil drain for well over an hour (went to lunch in the middle of the process), after replacing the filter, and re-filling with 8 quarts, the dashboard had a message saying that the oil level was too low.
I got a little worried, and added another 1/2 quart. After a few minutes I checked again, and it still showed that it needed nearly 3/4 more!

I decided to drive around the block to make sure the oil got warm and moved around before measuring again. And once again, it still showed I needed 3/4 of a quart. After adding 3/4 more, it is now showing a little bit under full. So, I am surprised that I ended up putting 9.25 quarts, and still could add a bit more. Which means that instead of leaving over 2 Qts of old oil in the engine, it looks like no more than 3/4 of a quart were left in there.

So, the moral of the story is: If you want to drain as much oil as possible next time you DIY an oil change, lift the rear of the vehicle!

By the way, I found out that it is cheaper to buy 10 Quarts of oil than 8! The cost for the 5 Qt bottle of Mobile 1 0W40 at Walmart is 22.89, while the 1 Qt. bottle is 7.89. So, the cost of the 3 Qts would be 23.67 vs 22.89 I'm glad I bought the 10 Qts, otherwise I would have to end up buying 2 more 1 Qt. bottles than I had anticipated!

Oil nearly full with 9.25 Qts:

Car lifted with rear ramp:

You've still got a fair amount old oil left in the engine, though every bit helps.

Water-cooled flat-six engine; aluminium engine block and cylin -
der heads; four overhead camshafts, four valves per cylinder,
variable inlet and outlet valve timing; inlet valve lift (VarioCam
Plus); hydraulic valve clearance adjustment; direct petrol inject -
ion; bi-turbo charging; one three-way catalytic converter per cylin -
der bank, each with two oxygen sensors; engine oil 13.1 litres
(refill volume 8.0 litres);
electronic ignition with solid-state igni -
tion distribution (six active ignition modules); thermal manage -
ment for coolant circulation; auto start/stop function.
Bore 91.0 mm
Stroke 76.4 mm
Displacement 2,981 cm3
Compression ratio 10:1
Engine power 370 hp (272 kW) at 6,500 rpm
Max. torque 450 Nm at 1,700 – 5,000 rpm
Power output per litre 124.1 hp/l (91.2 kW/l)
Max. engine speed 7,500 rpm
Fuel type super plus
Old 07-08-2018, 08:35 AM
Scorponok
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts

So is the general consensus to change the oil after about 1k or 2k miles and then do the 10k service at the 10k/1 year mark?

Trying to understand if it’s a waste of money to do so or worth it?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:25 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by k997
So is the general consensus to change the oil after about 1k or 2k miles and then do the 10k service at the 10k/1 year mark?

You'll get tons of opinions. What I do, is an oil change near the very first 1,000 miles, then every 5,000 miles. Porsche A40 approved Mobil 5W50.
The following 2 users liked this post by LexVan:
Fullyield (01-28-2021), rwbern (07-03-2024)
Old 07-08-2018, 09:27 AM
alex_c
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by k997

I would not say it is "necessary" to do an oil change after break-in period, but considering the cost of the vehicle, the tight tolerances, and the fact that I may want to keep this car for a long time, I think that $80 (cost of oil, filter, plug, gasket) is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

I also think it is fun to do things like this by yourself to your car every now and then
The following 2 users liked this post by alex_c:
cbredesen (06-04-2023), GT3FZS (02-02-2021)
Old 07-08-2018, 09:31 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Correct, Whip. This one.:

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/1074...o-you-use.html

There was another good one, with a chart and everything, but I can't find it yet.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:54 PM
SDaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by LexVan
You'll get tons of opinions. What I do, is an oil change near the very first 1,000 miles, then every 5,000 miles. Porsche A40 approved Mobil 5W50.
Exactly the same with me.

My 991.1 takes very close to 9 quarts after allowing plenty of time for the old oil to drain.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:14 AM
911-TOUR
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 158 Posts

Alex, did you measure how much drained out ? That's what I always did on my 993.
Old 07-11-2018, 02:40 AM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by LexVan

There was another good one, with a chart and everything, but I can't find it yet.
MA2 is the 3.0 L engine

Quick Reply: 9.3 Quarts of oil on 991.2 oil change???