Sponsored by:

ANTS IN MY BOXSTER

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 11:08 PM
user 20389
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ANTS IN MY BOXSTER

bought the car a couple of weeks ago and I have fogged and sprayed and put out traps. The only place I have not done is inside the doors. Is there a way to spray inside the doors without taking off the door covers? Maybe through drain holes or something. I would like to spray inside the doors with ant spray and see if I can get those suckers dead.
Old 06-18-2018, 11:50 PM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

I'm not familiar with the 986/996, but most all doors do have drain holes in the bottom.

However, the 986/996 is one of the few cars with airbags in the door panels, I would be concerned that any ant chemicals would affect them. I don't know.

Are you sure they are coming from the doors? There are lots of nooks and crannies in the trunks (plural in this case!), under the carpet, under the seats, behind the dashboard (airbags in there too), behind body panels, wheel liners, etc.

Sounds pretty gross. Good luck!
Old 06-20-2018, 06:11 PM
grrrmonster
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Get some Terro ant bait. Let them come eat it. They carry back to the best and kills them all. Way better than sprays
Old 06-20-2018, 06:16 PM
user 20389
Banned

Originally Posted by grrrmonster
Get some Terro ant bait. Let them come eat it. They carry back to the best and kills them all. Way better than sprays
will try it. I have sprayed and fogged and put down some sticky traps but not one ant got on the traps. When the sun goes down they come of the doors and the trunk seam. Thanks
Old 06-21-2018, 02:54 PM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

There are rubber plugs in the bottom of the doors for adjusting the window regulators. They come right out and provide a large hole for spraying ant death up into the door cavity. Don't worry about the air bags, They are on the others side of the vapor barrier. I think I'd use ant bait, too. My house came down with roaches from a Keurig I got at a pawnshop, got some roach bait. Man did that stuff work well!
Old 06-21-2018, 03:20 PM
user 20389
Banned

Originally Posted by Brian in Tucson
There are rubber plugs in the bottom of the doors for adjusting the window regulators. They come right out and provide a large hole for spraying ant death up into the door cavity. Don't worry about the air bags, They are on the others side of the vapor barrier. I think I'd use ant bait, too. My house came down with roaches from a Keurig I got at a pawnshop, got some roach bait. Man did that stuff work well!
thank you. I was hoping there was somewhere that I could fog or spray. will give it a try.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:47 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ddodgen
thank you. I was hoping there was somewhere that I could fog or spray. will give it a try.
I would not fog or spray anything in the doors.Remove the door panels and vacuum out the inside of the doors.
Old 06-22-2018, 04:54 PM
user 20389
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
I would not fog or spray anything in the doors.Remove the door panels and vacuum out the inside of the doors.
Thank you for your help
Old 06-23-2018, 12:45 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ddodgen
Thank you for your help
There are write ups on how to remove the door panel. Maybe the Bentley Boxster manual covers this. I gave my copy away so I don't have it handy to refer to.

The door has a rubber membrane inside that separates the wet side of the door from the dry side. This membrane is probably already compromised. After a wash check the door bottoms, along the carpet for dampness.

Spraying anything inside the door will not be good for this membrane. So you end up some time later with a bad door membrane and water in the door and electrical gremlins with the door locks, windows, or worse the water gets in the cabin and ruins the security module under the seat.
Old 06-23-2018, 12:50 PM
user 20389
Banned

Originally Posted by Macster
There are write ups on how to remove the door panel. Maybe the Bentley Boxster manual covers this. I gave my copy away so I don't have it handy to refer to.

The door has a rubber membrane inside that separates the wet side of the door from the dry side. This membrane is probably already compromised. After a wash check the door bottoms, along the carpet for dampness.

Spraying anything inside the door will not be good for this membrane. So you end up some time later with a bad door membrane and water in the door and electrical gremlins with the door locks, windows, or worse the water gets in the cabin and ruins the security module under the seat.
makes sense and since I don't have any leaks I will probably heed your advise.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:19 AM
brainles71
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had ants in my VW golf... They will get in anywhere and i mean anywhere. They will go through the AC, firewall, door, ANYWHERE. They were after an old McDonalds cup that had some coke in it so make sure you dont have anything sticky or food related anywhere in your car.

I put surface spray down on the carpet to start and then I put it round the wheel (tyres, shafts, liner, etc) because that's how they get into your car! They have to get off the ground somehow so the wheels is the best place for that.

Pop some surface spray on the ground around your car as well. Keep in mind this **** is toxic to humans as well so if i would wipe down the steering wheel, shiftier, door handles, etc.

Spray some down and then give it a day or two see if you can see any forming a line to or from your car and then hit that line.

Quick Reply: ANTS IN MY BOXSTER