Sponsored by:

Lifter-like noise when warm on idle

Old 07-09-2018, 11:26 AM
simotion
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifter-like noise when warm on idle

Hello,

I've searched the forum for a while now, and though I've learned a lot of info, I'm no closer to a solution perse.

Our car (Boxster S) wich hadn't been driven in years when we got it makes a tapping noise when warm and idleing. When the car is cold it's free of any noise. When it's up to temp it has a tapping noise that sounds a lot like a hydraulic lifter. I've tried to locate it on a lift with an stethoscope and it seems to be loudest arround the number 4 cilinder (or the left bank when standing behind the car). The slightest tap on the throttle makes the ticking stop, but it starts ticking again as soon as it's idle. When I remove the oil cap, the ticking stops and stays away till I screw back the oil cap, this to me seems very weird and makes no sense to me at all.

Once the car has been driven on the highway for extended time, or has been driven spirited, the noise changes to a total different (and more extreme noise at that), but after a few moments of easy driving or idling this noise quiets down and returns to just the tapping that sounds like a lifter.

What I've done to the car so far:
- New plugs (torqued to 30nm)
- Updated oil pressure spring and piston installed
- New AOS (car smoked on cold start)
- removed the oil pan to inspect the pickup tube which was clean and removed both 'swirl pot' things on either side of the pickup tube to inspect them only to find they were clean
- Car has new oil and filters (5W40 mobil 1 3000)

Car doesn't smoke, has around 70k miles on it, no CEL, no codes thrown by the ECU.

I hope someone recognizes these symptoms and can give some insight onto what could cause this. The car has been to three different shops from who one is an official dealer, the only thing these have left me with is a serious dent in my wallet, but no solution.
Old 07-10-2018, 10:16 AM
paulofto
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I see you have had no replies to your post, other than mine, and I am no help either. I suggest you might post this to the 986forum (http://986forum.com/forums/) and you may have better luck. Lots of technical talk there.

Good luck.
Old 07-10-2018, 11:39 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

When I put my replacement motor in (used, about 60k) it had lifter noise. Some time and heat cycles made it go away Have you taken it to a shop for diagnosis?. Have you tried any lifter chemicals?

Is this a new noise or one that was present when you bought your car? If you kneel down next to the car is it louder on one side than the other? I don't really know what's wrong, but I suspect a weak lifter.
Old 07-10-2018, 06:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by simotion
Hello,

I've searched the forum for a while now, and though I've learned a lot of info, I'm no closer to a solution perse.

Our car (Boxster S) wich hadn't been driven in years when we got it makes a tapping noise when warm and idleing. When the car is cold it's free of any noise. When it's up to temp it has a tapping noise that sounds a lot like a hydraulic lifter. I've tried to locate it on a lift with an stethoscope and it seems to be loudest arround the number 4 cilinder (or the left bank when standing behind the car). The slightest tap on the throttle makes the ticking stop, but it starts ticking again as soon as it's idle. When I remove the oil cap, the ticking stops and stays away till I screw back the oil cap, this to me seems very weird and makes no sense to me at all.

Once the car has been driven on the highway for extended time, or has been driven spirited, the noise changes to a total different (and more extreme noise at that), but after a few moments of easy driving or idling this noise quiets down and returns to just the tapping that sounds like a lifter.

- removed the oil pan to inspect the pickup tube which was clean and removed both 'swirl pot' things on either side of the pickup tube to inspect them only to find they were clean

Car doesn't smoke, has around 70k miles on it, no CEL, no codes thrown by the ECU.

I hope someone recognizes these symptoms and can give some insight onto what could cause this. The car has been to three different shops from who one is an official dealer, the only thing these have left me with is a serious dent in my wallet, but no solution.
May not be related but I have to point out Mobil 1 5w-40 3000 oil is not a Porsche approved oil. Up to you if you want to switch to say Mobil 1 0w-40 oil to see if this changes anything. The 3000 oil is a bit more viscous and believe it or not may not flow as readily (even hot) into the bearings/other areas as the less viscous Mobile 1 0w-40 oil.

The noise going away when the oil tube filler cap removed is a real puzzle. If I choose to ignore this as not relevant (not saying it is or isn't), sitting a long time without being used is not good for an engine and if I had to guess I'd guess a lifter is not receiving sufficient oil. This can be due to something in the oil hole that feeds one or more lifter bores partially blocking oil flow for at higher engine speeds sufficient oil manages to reach the lifter and it quiets down. Also, I note the engine does not register any misfires which would be expected with a partially collapsed lifter.

Or the engine has an internal oil leak that happens to rob an area of the valve hardware under the camshaft cover some oil. The lifter is the canary in the coal mine in that is giving you a warning.

Have you checked oil pressure with a good oil pressure gauge? You should be able to T into the oil pressure hole and connect an oil pressure gauge and check oil pressure at various temperatures and RPM levels.

If the oil pressure is down it might (might...) be worth the cost of having the camshaft cover removed and resealed. This sealing is critical in that not only does it keep oil inside the engine it ensures high pressure oil does not leak out inside/under the camshaft cover.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:30 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,066 Likes on 555 Posts

Originally Posted by simotion
Hello,

If you do a search over on the 996 or 997 forum, you'll see similar symptoms reported - ticking when hot and no noise when cold: bore scoring, and it always starts on bank 2.

You can verify this by dropping the sump and putting the piston at TDC and bore scoping from the back side. It is likely your scoring is in an early stage as you don't have enough damage to cause high oil consumption or misfires.

If you cannot find any bore scoring, then it likely is a lifter, but it is a must to rule out a cylinder problem first, as often these problems are misdiagnosed as a lifter issue.

That said, is one tailpipe dirtier than the other? That's another tell tale sign of scoring on one bank that is leading to oil consumption.

Using a Porsche approved oil is over-rated. The engine is out of warranty, so use the best 5w40 you can. I would recommend doing used oil analysis to check for elevated wear metals that might indicate you have a problem as well, before any symptoms show themselves.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lifter-like noise when warm on idle