Sponsored by:

Porsche Drivers Council: Focus Group

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 12:38 AM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Porsche Drivers Council: Focus Group

Well just finished a 4 hour focus group today, very through and professional, let’s hope my feedback will be useful, lots of cool things to see. I hope I will get invited to more events like this, they really seem to want to get very detailed opinions on stuff from owners. I wish I could tell you more about what I saw, but they had us sign NDAs, no phones, etc, walk through metal detectors, I have never done this before, it was pretty cool.

Old 05-31-2018, 03:12 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Fascinating.

At PEC LA?
Old 05-31-2018, 04:00 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Nope, it was hosted at a large city convention center, high security. Again just wanted to post they are asking owners for feedback. Let’s just hope we are all asking for the Right Stuff, lol.
Old 05-31-2018, 08:20 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,391 Likes on 2,510 Posts

Hope you were paid?
Old 05-31-2018, 08:37 PM
titan7
Rennlist Member

Yes, they did pay us but that was not the reason I attended. Getting to see and touch what was there was well with my time alone. It also did not hurt it was 1/2 mile from my office,
Old 06-04-2018, 03:34 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

The payment is not for your time. Its because you cannot have a valid contract without consideration. In other words, their NDA is worth zip if you weren't paid.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:29 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Face it, most of us would actually pay to participate in something like this.

What i can’t get on board with is the actual usefulness from the Porsche standpoint. The car is so far along into production, what can they really change at this point? Honest question. Still cool as hell though.
Old 06-04-2018, 11:54 PM
Lead Foot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Face it, most of us would actually pay to participate in something like this.

What i can’t get on board with is the actual usefulness from the Porsche standpoint. The car is so far along into production, what can they really change at this point? Honest question. Still cool as hell though.
The main purpose of the event was a different direction. You could say the event theme was Thomas Edison or Nikola Tesla. Any other type of things to look at took a back seat.
Old 06-10-2018, 08:01 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by Lead Foot
The main purpose of the event was a different direction. You could say the event theme was Thomas Edison or Nikola Tesla. Any other type of things to look at took a back seat.
Ah. Heard about that in the other forum.

Shame me they didn’t ask you about the name. Taycan. Ugh.
Old 07-19-2018, 03:51 PM
fastdiablo
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Ha, I attended this, and Porsche called me this week to remind me of the NDA -they had rennlist delete a post I made. I had completely spaced the NDA, especially considering all the spy photos and info out there. My bad, but they were cool. Awesome they read the forums!
Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 PM
GordyRay
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, well okay, it is great to hear that they actually read the forum. Now please fix the sound on the 992!!!!! Get a great sound for us so we don't need to listen to the radio because we are intoxicated by the awesome Porsche boxer 6 sounds. Especially correct the weak PSE that came out with the 991.2 There is hardly any noticeable difference. In the past Porsche Sport Exhaust PSE was amazing so let's make this happen for real this time in the new 992!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of my past 911s have sounded awesome. This turbo arena needs a balance of quality exhaust sound; at least in the USA.

If the rumors are accurate that we are only getting a 14-15 Hbp bump with the 992 that is not sufficient. Please match the rest of the performance car industry as they climb up the horsepower and torque numbers while we can. This era never last long. Most of us 911 drivers would like to see 30 Hbp increase not a tiny 14 bump. You cannot feel that difference. Come-0n Man...take care of us. We spend the dollars so give us MO Power / Torque too....Please.
Old 07-20-2018, 03:14 PM
Guest89
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by fastdiablo
Ha, I attended this, and Porsche called me this week to remind me of the NDA -they had rennlist delete a post I made. I had completely spaced the NDA, especially considering all the spy photos and info out there. My bad, but they were cool. Awesome they read the forums!
How did they have Rennlist delete a post?

This entire website is unofficial and Porsche is officially agnostic to its existence.

Furthermore, how would they connect your identity to your online persona?
Old 07-21-2018, 06:16 PM
STG
Race Director

Received 193 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest89
How did they have Rennlist delete a post?

This entire website is unofficial and Porsche is officially agnostic to its existence.

Furthermore, how would they connect your identity to your online persona?

Did they abduct him??
Old 07-21-2018, 08:31 PM
SimonSays
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GordyRay
Wow, well okay, it is great to hear that they actually read the forum. Now please fix the sound on the 992!!!!! Get a great sound for us so we don't need to listen to the radio because we are intoxicated by the awesome Porsche boxer 6 sounds. Especially correct the weak PSE that came out with the 991.2 There is hardly any noticeable difference. In the past Porsche Sport Exhaust PSE was amazing so let's make this happen for real this time in the new 992!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Most of my past 911s have sounded awesome. This turbo arena needs a balance of quality exhaust sound; at least in the USA.

If the rumors are accurate that we are only getting a 14-15 Hbp bump with the 992 that is not sufficient. Please match the rest of the performance car industry as they climb up the horsepower and torque numbers while we can. This era never last long. Most of us 911 drivers would like to see 30 Hbp increase not a tiny 14 bump. You cannot feel that difference. Come-0n Man...take care of us. We spend the dollars so give us MO Power / Torque too....Please.
Hmm I always find this line of thinking quite curious. Here's my hot take: IMO I think 911s have had enough power for some time now, both for the road and even the track (where only a small minority of Carrera owners venture in the first place). Anyways, I think 991s were plenty quick and 992s will be fine even if the power figures were to be unchaged (gasp, I know!). Better sound, throttle response, power band, and shorter gearing are far more important for me than additional horsepower. Those are all characteristics that will actually affect my enjoyment of the car whereas I'd struggle to really notice a 10% power bump, especially at legal/safe(ish) speeds on the road.

So I don't think another 14-15 hp is terribly necessary, but I wouldn't mind a small bump in power either. I could live without it and I'm sure it will still feel very rapid. As far needing at least 30+ hp and "matching the industry"... at what point does it end? It's not like speed limits are changing. Also, our ability to survive high speed incidents (both on the steet and the track) via passive safety is reaching a point of diminishing returns because we can't overcome physics. Are you advocating we keep increasing power ad infinitum or is there an eventual limit/power output/acceleration number/top speed/lap time you have in mind for the 992?

TBH I instead hope the 992 ends up being a bit lighter because that would serve to improve the car in whole host of ways. Handling, braking distances, fuel economy/efficiency (not that I, or probably most 911 owners, care that much), and even straight line performance would all be better. Obviously we'll at some point more or less reach a limit for how much weight we can reduce while still maintaining a certain footprint, level of safety, and refinement. But for now, I think there's still some of progress to be made on that front. So with that, I hope the 992 will be lighter and better! If it's also more powerful (which I'm sure it will be), that's cool too! It's just less of a priority for me. If my main concern was pure straight line speed, I wouldn't be that interested in Porsches to begin with.
Old 07-21-2018, 10:45 PM
GordyRay
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

SimonSays

Hey SimonSays, I am in agreement with you. You broke down more specifically the areas that will improve the performance of the 992 and I am in agreement.
Thank you!!! If the 992 has even a few of the items that you discussed the new model will be significantly improved.

Quick Reply: Porsche Drivers Council: Focus Group