Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

2005 Turbo S, garage queen. Is it the time to let go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 10:32 PM
kennyperez85
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Turbo S, garage queen. Is it the time to let go?

Hello,

I am a new member, and apologies in advance if I'm posting in the wrong forum. I hope to be an active member in the future and learn from posting mistakes. Either way, I wanted your opinion.

I have a 2005 Turbo S Cabriolet, Manual, (18" original Porsche Sport Techno Wheels, Porsche Crest and heated front seats) so pretty basic - with 9200 miles, 100% stock, in pretty excellent condition (I am the third owner, clean Carfax, no body work or paint work ever) that I have kept in temperature controlled storage for some time. I have seen the prices finally start to creep up, and I'm not sure if I should continue to hold on or sell now.

What do you guys think?
Old 07-26-2017, 10:50 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Is it paid off? How much does it cost to insure each month for storage or full coverage? You're third owner, how much do you have into it? Can you make a profit now based on the market or will you take a hit? Think about present and long term.

Seeing that it's a turbo, if it's not really hurting your bank it's probably worth holding on to. With low miles I assume it's show room floor quality, so it could be worth a bit more in the future. However, nobody really knows, just like the price spike in 993's. I think you'll get conflicting answers because it's all hearsay, the market can change at any point in time depending on what's appealing.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:02 PM
kennyperez85
7th Gear

Thanks for your thoughts.

Car is paid off, cost to store is minimal, insurance is $1200 per year. I have not put any money into it (car was purchased with Porsche dealer maintenance performed prior to delivery, and 4 brand new tires) I would make a negligible profit ($1000) or no profit if you take into account taxes paid, and insurance, but I also would not lose any money on it. I guess its more about people's thoughts on the future prices for this car - and to be specific , I mean 5 years. I don't think I would hold it much more than that.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:10 PM
Billup
Burning Brakes

Received 592 Likes on 330 Posts

Nobody here can prospect the future better than you can, because, it's unknown. I'd say it depends on what you want out of the car. Like stated, it can be a similar story I hear when I talk to the 993 guys that sold their car a while back and now the market has taken a huge leap. Personally I would hold on to it and see what happens given the fact it's paid off and anything else is minimal.

At the same time, you don't drive it, and enthusiasts sometimes fear low miles because of decaying gaskets and what have you. Nobody can give you future estimates, it boils down to what your comfortable accepting.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:48 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

I think the biggest factor will depend on what Porsche does with the 992. If they create a new group/class of cars (hybrid), then the 996/997/991 will instantly become classics. This is kind of what happened to the SC/3.2/964 (the 993 was in a class by itself).

But everything I've read on the 992 indicates that it's probably not a revolutionary change, but rather, evolutionary, and a hybrid might only be an option. So it's possible that only holding onto your car for 5 years might not result in any more gain/appreciation at all. The 997tts will likely dip a bit more as it ages, which should cause folks to consider a 997tt over a 996tt.

Like others said, it's going to be hard to predict this, if at all. Every time I tell folks that my 1988 Targa was acquired by me for $16,800, people comment that "wow, I'm guessing you are kicking yourself now." But if I kept that car for 10 more years, I would have easily sunk $10k into it, so I would have only made about $10k on the car in 10 years, $1k/yr. I can make more money doing just about anything else.
Old 07-27-2017, 12:40 AM
kromdom
Drifting

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

also try asking in in TURBO forum: https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turbo-forum-61/
Old 07-27-2017, 03:24 AM
TomR9964S
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyperez85

Car is paid off, cost to store is minimal, insurance is $1200 per year.
Insurance seems very high. My 996 driven 2K miles/year is only $500 additional. I would think a non-driven car in storage should be less. That said, if you are not going to drive it; sell it to someone who will love and drive it.

Trending Topics

Old 07-27-2017, 12:07 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyperez85

Car is paid off, cost to store is minimal, insurance is $1200 per year. I have not put any money into it (car was purchased with Porsche dealer maintenance performed prior to delivery, and 4 brand new tires) I would make a negligible profit ($1000) or no profit if you take into account taxes paid, and insurance, but I also would not lose any money on it. I guess its more about people's thoughts on the future prices for this car - and to be specific , I mean 5 years. I don't think I would hold it much more than that.
Even if you are not driving the car that much it needs some maintenance. Annual oil/filter service. Brake fluid flush/bleed every 2 years.

You are really not doing the car any good by not driving it. The risk is to someone who buys the car and then has to live with the consequences of the lack of use.

Bought a 2003 Turbo in 2009 with just 10K miles. A fair share of problems that I have to believe were due to the lack of use. Here's a list in the order in which they happened. This first batch was all covered by the car's 2 year, 100K mile CPO warranty. Shifter broke; transmission seal leak (transmission had to be replaced); clutch accumulator and slave cylinder (this is a common "problem"); idler roller bearing failed; radiator fan motor shaft snapped and took out the radiator. Ok the warranty expired with around 50K miles on the car. I thought I was "home free" but the problems kept coming: Spoiler hydraulics leaked and spoiler was replaced. RMS leak. Required the transmission be dropped. Front diff axle flange seals leaking and were replaced. Power steering valve got noisy. To replace the valve the power steering fluid reservior had to be replaced. (Valve not available seaparately.) Water pump developed a leak. Driver side radiator fan motor not running right -- not blowing much air and drawing way more current than it should -- and was replaced. Another set of idler roller/tensioner bearings. All 3 radiators developed leaks and had to be replaced. Even the rear view mirror developed a leak and had to be replaced. 25.5 months later the replacement mirror developed a leak. Instead of replacing this I sent out the orignal mirror to radar-mirror.com (IIRC) and had the mirror repaired.

In the case of your Turbo S the car is degrading even though it is not being used. When you go to sell you might find someone who is because the car suits him and is low miles and is a Turbo S buys the car pays the premium for the car you ask.

OTOH, you might run into buyers who are a bit more cautious around low miles cars, even Turbo S examples, and balk at paying premium money for a low miles car with the risk they'll have to spend even more more to address the issues that can possible arise due to the lack of use.

My advice would be to sell the car now and put the money to some other use. I dare say you could with some smart investing "earn" more money on the money than it is is "earning" as used Turbo prices inch up. You would save money on insurance, registration, the cost of proper yearly maintenance.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:15 PM
kmagnuss
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Not a ton of Turbo S Cabs out there... with the low miles and clean history I'd hang onto it if you don't need the money.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:02 PM
hybridporky
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.godspeedmotors.com/web/12...-911-Turbo%20S

This car has been in the market for a LONG time. Price has been going down. Last time i saw it in May, asking was 53K.

Not a perfect example, but looks really clean.
Old 07-27-2017, 02:43 PM
kennyperez85
7th Gear

Ok, you have officially scared the bejesus out of me.

Originally Posted by Macster
Even if you are not driving the car that much it needs some maintenance. Annual oil/filter service. Brake fluid flush/bleed every 2 years.

You are really not doing the car any good by not driving it. The risk is to someone who buys the car and then has to live with the consequences of the lack of use.

Bought a 2003 Turbo in 2009 with just 10K miles. A fair share of problems that I have to believe were due to the lack of use. Here's a list in the order in which they happened. This first batch was all covered by the car's 2 year, 100K mile CPO warranty. Shifter broke; transmission seal leak (transmission had to be replaced); clutch accumulator and slave cylinder (this is a common "problem"); idler roller bearing failed; radiator fan motor shaft snapped and took out the radiator. Ok the warranty expired with around 50K miles on the car. I thought I was "home free" but the problems kept coming: Spoiler hydraulics leaked and spoiler was replaced. RMS leak. Required the transmission be dropped. Front diff axle flange seals leaking and were replaced. Power steering valve got noisy. To replace the valve the power steering fluid reservior had to be replaced. (Valve not available seaparately.) Water pump developed a leak. Driver side radiator fan motor not running right -- not blowing much air and drawing way more current than it should -- and was replaced. Another set of idler roller/tensioner bearings. All 3 radiators developed leaks and had to be replaced. Even the rear view mirror developed a leak and had to be replaced. 25.5 months later the replacement mirror developed a leak. Instead of replacing this I sent out the orignal mirror to radar-mirror.com (IIRC) and had the mirror repaired.

In the case of your Turbo S the car is degrading even though it is not being used. When you go to sell you might find someone who is because the car suits him and is low miles and is a Turbo S buys the car pays the premium for the car you ask.

OTOH, you might run into buyers who are a bit more cautious around low miles cars, even Turbo S examples, and balk at paying premium money for a low miles car with the risk they'll have to spend even more more to address the issues that can possible arise due to the lack of use.

My advice would be to sell the car now and put the money to some other use. I dare say you could with some smart investing "earn" more money on the money than it is is "earning" as used Turbo prices inch up. You would save money on insurance, registration, the cost of proper yearly maintenance.
Old 07-27-2017, 04:59 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 90 Posts

I can only answer this question sufficiently after a long thorough test drive. Please deliver the car to Dallas. After 500 miles and a significant test of the car on the "3 sisters" in the TX hill country I will offer a well informed and complete opinion.

Thank you,
Anthony
Old 07-27-2017, 05:18 PM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hybridporky
http://www.godspeedmotors.com/web/12...-911-Turbo%20S

This car has been in the market for a LONG time. Price has been going down. Last time i saw it in May, asking was 53K.

Not a perfect example, but looks really clean.
Really no comparison to a vehicle with less than 10,000 miles. If that one is worth $50k then the OP's is easily worth $10K more.
Old 07-27-2017, 05:45 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

There was a 996 turbo s cab for sale at my local porsche dealer last time I was in there (2 months ago). The car was flawless and I believe under 5k kms.. Car was listed at $12x,xxx if I remember correctly.. I was blown away that a 996 could be worth so much. I tried to look it up on their site to link it but it looks like it may have sold..
Old 07-27-2017, 08:11 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,580 Likes on 987 Posts

Cars.com has quite a few 996tts that are under 10k miles.

Quick Reply: 2005 Turbo S, garage queen. Is it the time to let go?