Notices
Vehicle Marketplace - Old A place for Rennlist Members & Sponsors to sell their new & used vehicles.
Mark this thread as Unsold
Cars Search
Keyword:

Year:
(Range)

Make:

Model:

Cont. Porsche Models:

Mileage (numbers only please):

Color:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Dealer Listing:

Location (Region):

Transmission Type:

Parts Search
Keyword:

Category:

Price (no $ sign please):

Private or Vendor Listing:

Location (Region):

Item Condition:

Dealer Inventory 2009 911 GT2

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2019, 07:08 PM
pnorell
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts

Year: 2009
Make: Porsche
Model: 911
Cont. Porsche Models: GT2
Mileage (numbers only please): 15812
Color: Black
VIN: WP0AD29959S778088
Price (no $ sign please): $215997
Private or Dealer Listing: Private Listing
Location (Region): Texas
Body Style: Coupe
Transmission Type: Manual - 6 speed
2 or 4 Wheel Drive?: 2 Wheel Drive
Engine Type: Fuel Injection
Stereo System: AM-FM Stereo

Fantastic car. Those fixated on the over rev reports are not buyers - they use it as an excuse. Go check the car out in person - get a PPI - then decide.
The following users liked this post:
PorscheHusna (08-05-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 05:20 PM
PorscheHusna
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

Still avaialble
Old 08-17-2019, 10:38 PM
black997er
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin5236

That's true and I think you're absolutely correct.

I think we sometimes forget even if there are ignitions in the higher ranges, if they took place more than 50 hours prior to the current operating hours, the engine is just fine.

You can't just look at one piece of data when trying to assess a car. It's the entire package.

This car here is a beast and will make somebody smile for days.

GLWS!
All this said, if I was spending that kinda dough on a 911, I would rather have nothing in range 4 or above. I have found that the overrev report is a very good indicator of how the car was driven (dealer friend of mine sometimes gets cars with range 4's, these are the cars that bother him the most after a sale). The saving grace here is that this is a Mezger block in question and so may be fine. But whatever block it is, Porsche engineers define redlines for a reason and when these are surpassed it should not be taken too lightly. Anyway, GLWS! Rest of the car is gorgeous.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:16 AM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned mine for 7 years (second owner). I have some range 1-3 (and 1 range 4 - which as Kevin said is an anomaly). All came from accidentally banging the stock rev limiter early in my ownership while learning to tame the beast. With each new owner, that bell curve generally happens all over again (more owners = more overrevs -generally speaking). The GT2 is the most thrilling car I've ever owned or driven and at 11 years old, it has never been in the shop for anything other than scheduled maintenance and an inexpensive oil sender replacement years ago. What more can you ask for in a car let a lone a supercar. Good luck with sale. She beautiful!
Old 08-18-2019, 02:14 PM
black997er
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Reid55
I've owned mine for 7 years (second owner). I have some range 1-3 (and 1 range 4 - which as Kevin said is an anomaly). All came from accidentally banging the stock rev limiter early in my ownership while learning to tame the beast. With each new owner, that bell curve generally happens all over again (more owners = more overrevs -generally speaking). The GT2 is the most thrilling car I've ever owned or driven and at 11 years old, it has never been in the shop for anything other than scheduled maintenance and an inexpensive oil sender replacement years ago. What more can you ask for in a car let a lone a supercar. Good luck with sale. She beautiful!
The rev limiter is a control system (in the engineering sense) like any other ... subject to overshoot. This means that even banging the rev limiter by accident does not guarantee that it’ll catch the revs at the prescribed limit, might overshoot a bit. I speak from experience having worked with rotating machinery for a while. At some point, the Physics of going above a certain rpm for a given rotary component is inevitable. I’m not saying this car is totaled, just that disregarding the overrev report should be done at the buyers peril. You’re lucky with your GT2, they may not be. But then again if they’re spending $200k in the 1st place, what’s to lose with another $50k if it came down to it?
Old 08-18-2019, 03:16 PM
osu s2k
Rennlist Member

Received 193 Likes on 103 Posts

I think those commenting on the over rev report should refamiliarize themselves with the difference in rpm ranges between the turbo/gt2 engines and the gt3/rs. Show me a turbo/gt2 with a perfectly clean dme .... exceedingly rare. Clean gt3s all the time.
Btw 1-3 was able to be cpo in the past. While they could cpo ones with range 4-6 it required more work on part of the dealer

http://www.911virgin.com/porsche/rev-range-information/

another interesting fact on this car is it had january 09 production date. I was told not all the 2009s models were produced 2009 some in 2008
Old 08-18-2019, 08:25 PM
Reid55
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Black997er - like so many, you know nothing about the over rev limit range on the 996/997 TT and GT2 cars. These motors are rock solid and Porsche would not make a car that could result in any sort of issue from banging the the stock rev limiter. The NA has a very different range. There are 10's of thousands of 996/997 TT's and GT2's that have over revs in the 3's, 4's and even 5's and I have never heard of a single engine being damaged from that. John works for one of the most prominent Porsche dealerships in the country. Ask him how many of the tens of thousands of 996/997 TT's and GT2's have ever been destroyed by stock rev limiter bounce in his shop (including those with over 100k miles). I bet a steak dinner he will tell you "zero" "nada". That is all.
Old 08-19-2019, 06:57 PM
mach1pannu
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 10 Posts

Reid55 is correct. If you see range 5/6 in recent operating hours, get a good inspection done. If they occurred hundreds of hours ago, I wouldn't even worry about it. Enjoy it and have fun. These cars are rock solid. I've owned a couple with high over revs and driven them 30k miles collectively. No problems at all.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:28 PM
PorscheHusna
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Thanks for all o the DME comments guys, this car is in top shape and is not an issue..

Still available
Old 09-21-2019, 12:02 PM
PorscheHusna
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Weekend bump, still available..
Old 10-10-2019, 05:17 PM
Austin GT
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very rare car. The 2009 GT2 with only 18 units sent to the US had the new technology , ( touch screen etc) of the 997.2 unlike the 2008 GT2.
Fantastic car.
Old 10-10-2019, 05:35 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

A lot of these turbo cars get the ECU flashed too. That will typically raise the rev limit and result in more low-range ignitions.
The range 4 ignitions here are inconsequential. A tiny of a fraction of a second spent in that range.
Old 10-11-2019, 04:50 PM
2swoosh
Rennlist Member

Received 241 Likes on 201 Posts

I don't really understand this over rev BS maybe someone can explain it better or easier to a layman like me. These are expensive high performance machines so why can't the factory set up a range that can't be exceeded? When you're racing and your on warp speed you're focused on the feel and the road ahead of you and not looking at the tach worrying you're at the redline.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:11 PM
vman932
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by 2swoosh
I don't really understand this over rev BS maybe someone can explain it better or easier to a layman like me. These are expensive high performance machines so why can't the factory set up a range that can't be exceeded? When you're racing and your on warp speed you're focused on the feel and the road ahead of you and not looking at the tach worrying you're at the redline.
A rev limiter won't stop a mechanical overrev. Money shifts are what people are worried about, not just bouncing off the rev limiter.
Old 10-11-2019, 05:20 PM
Kevin5236
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

That's exactly what the rev limiter does. It protects the engine when you're in say 3rd gear and accelerating. It stops you from damaging the engine if you go too high with the tachometer and you don't realize it.

BUT, if you shift into the wrong gear, say 2nd instead of 4th, you can overrev the engine and damage it.

Range 1 and Range 2 ignitions can show up on the DME scan when you hit the limiter and the tachometer bounces back down to the normal range. This is what you want to see. I won't buy a car with Range 3 or above ignitions based on my experience.

If you money shift the car, Range 3 and above can show ignitions (Range 4 and above is all you need to worry about). This is the whole premise of the overrev report in the first place: to see if the car was driven properly.

Some cars will vary, especially if they've had their ECU flashed, which can move the limit around, as Dr. Bill pointed out.

The DME scan is only one piece of the entire puzzle but it can tell you how the car was driven and give you a clearer look into the car's history.

If you do see Range 3 and above ignitions, it's generally accepted knowledge that once you hit the 50 hour mark after the overrevs took place, the engine should be fine as it hasn't failed up to that point. 100 hours past the ignitions is playing it super safe if you're worried.

A good example is if a Turbo was on a dealer lot and was taken for a test drive shortly after being delivered and was money shifted. This will show up as ignitions in higher ranges but the hours of operation will be somewhere around 25 or so (just an example). If this same car has had several owners, the overall hours of operation will show 1200 (another random number for our example). You have nothing to worry about because the engine has seen 1175 hours of use since the overrevs took place. This means if the engine was going to fail, it would have failed in the first 50 hours following the overrevs. You're now well past that 50 or 100 hour mark so you have nothing to worry about as far as catastrophic engine failure due to redlining.

This is how the overrev report should be used to understand what conditions and type of driving a specific car has seen. You can use this info to make your own judgement on whether or not the car is going to need a new engine.

Without a DME scan, you're taking a gamble on whether or not you're getting a car that's been abused.
The following users liked this post:
CT944 (10-20-2019)

Quick Reply: Dealer Inventory 2009 911 GT2